Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I’m new to the forum, so please excuse if I didn’t find this information in another thread.

My tail gate actuator broke. In detail the white plastic gear lost all his teeth. Now my problem:

I dismounted the whole actuator assembly with the motor, the gears and the electronic control unit from the car (located under the trim on the left side in the trunk). Then I put back the trim and closed the gate, because I needed to use the car in the meanwhile. Unfortunately, now the gate does not open anymore. I do not even hear the latch unlocking it. I still can open the window, but not the whole gate. I guess it is because the gate lock is also operated through the electronic control unit I dismounted.

Now I tried to plug in the control module again without the motor, but the gate still won’t unlock.

1. Is there any advice on how I could open the gate again?

2. Would the gate start working again as soon as I put everything together or do I need to reset or reprogram some computer?

Cheers,
Andy

·
2007 Escalade
2007 Escalade AWD
247 Posts
I've switched out actuators for the tailgate and didn't require resetting or reprogramming. Worked right out of the box.
As for opening a closed tailgate,
are able to get the trim off with it closed?.....at least part way so that you can reach into and manually unlatch it?
Try googling it.
I'm sure I came across a similar situation with a solution either on this forum or google.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi richboy92 and thanks for the comment.

I did some googling and you are right, there seem to be two options to unlock the gate:
1) trying to pry off the trim from the inside, from the window down, after removing the little grip, and then pushing a little release lever on the right side of the latch or,
2) drilling a 1 1/6” hole into the trim close to the spot where the release lever sits (should be right side of the latch mechanism) and push the lever from there. Then close the hole with a plug sold by the dealership.

I’m still reluctant to drill holes in the trim, but it sounds like an easy fix and I wouldn’t need to remove the trim for “emergency releases” in the future... Anybody with experience in this?

I’ve just hoped there would be an easy “push the button” solution like a hidden lever somewhere. I had thought it could always happen that electric systems fail and I think there should always be a mechanical backup to get doors open.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts