Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know where I can get a repair manual not an owners manual for a 2000 deville base model..or tell me how to replace the ses light, it seems as if po poked it out with a screw driver, either that or it possibly got so hot it melted the face on cluster as well as burned the bulb out..

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
:welcome:

The cheap Chiltons and Haynes repair manuals just don't cut it. You'll want a "real" Helm factory service manual. Available new on Helms site, or used on Ebay.

Disassembling the IPC probably won't be covered in any manual.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,261 Posts
Anybody know where I can get a repair manual not an owners manual for a 2000 deville base model..or tell me how to replace the ses light, it seems as if po poked it out with a screw driver, either that or it possibly got so hot it melted the face on cluster as well as burned the bulb out..
------------------
the Factory Service Manual - or a subscription to AllData -
will help you remove the cluster -
but will have no information about opening it up or repairing it -

even the dealers don't repair them -

your best bet is to buy a used one - ebay has them quite often -

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
as basscat said, the factory service manual isn't really going to have anything in it about repairing the cluster

dealers don't work on them

they are repaired by a handful of ESCs (Electronic Service Centers) across the country

you can either order and exchange (they charge you for the cluster and the core then refund the core when you send yours back) or you can send yours out for repair

I can get you a list of the ESCs if you want to go that route (which is the only officially sanctioned route for repair)

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes please that would be a great help!!

·
Registered
2001 Cadillac DHS; Galaxy Silver 252k
701 Posts
C-mon, guys! It is repairable! I did it myself just for 20 cents! (cost of LED)
Just rip apart entire dash board according to manual and disassemble cluster up to the circuit board. Remove everything and see it naked in front of yourself. You will see in bottom right corner (where ses light suppose to be) 2 tiny LEDs(just in case if one burns out.. but in your case it happened twice), unsolder them and solder the new one (I used regular LED, not micro). MAKE SURE TO KEEP LED POLARITY RIGHT! And you all set! SAVED LOTS OF DOLLARS!
C-mon, DIYers! C-mon, dealers! Be like a surgeon! :cool2:

----------

Btw, I needed it for state inspection. I fixed it and I passed it! No harm to odometer or anything else! Took about 3 hours for complete a to z. But if you never took out board apart.. can take up 6-7 hours.

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
That's all well and fine, except the OP DOESN'T KNOW HOW to remove and disassemble the IPC. Hence asking about a repair manual.

If something's melted or broken, it needs more than just a bulb anyway. A replacement might be a better idea.

·
Registered
2001 Cadillac DHS; Galaxy Silver 252k
701 Posts
Nothing melted or broken. LED can burn out too. Lots of people have/had/will have such issue. I was panicking too but after that took my act together and just did it.
So far as manual, he has to obtain it in order to perform ANY DIY. Many choices: ebay, amazon, alldata, etc.
Good luck!

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Yes please that would be a great help!!
AER Technologies (AEL)Brea, CA(714) 871–7357 or (800) 321–6970
AJR International, Inc (AJC)Elmhurst, IL(630) 832–0222 or (800) 232–3965
Autocraft Electronics (AED)Carrollton, TX(972) 466–6200 or (800) 336–3998
Instrument Sales& Service, Inc (ISS)Kent, WA(253) 796–5400 or (800) 666–5469
Model Electronics, Inc (MES)Ramsey, NJ(201) 961–6200 or (800) 433–9657
Specmo Enterprises (SED)Madison Heights, MI(248) 307–2570 or (800) 545–7910
Techni-Car, Inc (TCT)Oldsmar, FL(813) 855–0022 or (800) 886–0022

Also, United Radio in Syracuse, NY ... 800-448-0944

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would rather replace it or get it repaired, but if it is replaced will the miles still read where they left off at?...and thanks Rippy.

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
The miles are stored within the cluster, so a replacement will read the mileage of the donor car. You can either buy one with similar mileage, or swap the board that stores the mileage, from the original cluster, to the replacement. If you buy a reconditioned unit online, your mileage can be programmed to the replacement cluster.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
You can send yours and a used one to some of the ESCs and they will swap over your VIN info and mileage to the used one for you
might be cheaper than having them repair yours

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can send yours and a used one to some of the ESCs and they will swap over your VIN info and mileage to the used one for you
any way you can tell me the average time it takes to do this, like can I wait for it, same day and all, I just cant be without a cluster lol

----------

I mean I can let like a day go but i get antsy and skitzy if my gauges arent working or anything on the dash for that matter lol

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
well there's the time it takes to ship to them and then once they get it there might be another day or two until they get to it
once they get to it and diagnose it they will call you with their estimate and then you approve and they will fix it
sometimes you can get same day turnaround but usually not they are usually a few days behind

another option is to ask them if they have any available for exchange
these older units are usually not in stock available for exchange but it could be worth asking if the downtime is more important to you
basically it's a core that has been repaired to be like new... anything broken or worn replaced and fully tested
they send it to you and you send yours back so they can fix it for the next person
again, that is if they have any available for exchange

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
AER Technologies (AEL)Brea, CA(714) 871–7357 or (800) 321–6970
AJR International, Inc (AJC)Elmhurst, IL(630) 832–0222 or (800) 232–3965
Autocraft Electronics (AED)Carrollton, TX(972) 466–6200 or (800) 336–3998
Instrument Sales& Service, Inc (ISS)Kent, WA(253) 796–5400 or (800) 666–5469
Model Electronics, Inc (MES)Ramsey, NJ(201) 961–6200 or (800) 433–9657
Specmo Enterprises (SED)Madison Heights, MI(248) 307–2570 or (800) 545–7910
Techni-Car, Inc (TCT)Oldsmar, FL(813) 855–0022 or (800) 886–0022

Also, United Radio in Syracuse, NY ... 800-448-0944
WOW! one right near me. I'll have to try and remember that.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do they need my cluster aswell to match the mileage, or can I just send the replacement along with vin and current mileage?...sorry for all the questions but its my first gm and i havent really worked on any american cars before, everything is just so new to me with all these extra sensors and electronics lol

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,261 Posts
Do they need my cluster aswell to match the mileage, or can I just send the replacement along with vin and current mileage?...sorry for all the questions but its my first gm and i havent really worked on any american cars before, everything is just so new to me with all these extra sensors and electronics lol
-------------------------
why don't you call the shop from the list that is nearest to you -
and ask them directly -

1 - 20 of 20 Posts