Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone let me know what are the most expensive repairs that an XTS owner is likely to encounter? I suppose that as with most potential Cadillac owners I know not to expect the perfect reliability that you might expect with a Lexus. I know that with some Fords and Lincolns there are water pump issues that might require you to spend $7K on a new engine. I love the XTS and right now a 2016-2019 is my my top choice for the new car that I expect to buy in the next month or so. I would just like to hear what might be the worst case problems, and how much they typically cost, that one might expect for this car. Basically how much should you expect to need to set aside to make sure you can always keep the car running?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,659 Posts
Every car/engine/transmission/body assembly has its own set of pluses and minuses. Instead of giving someone else MY money for an "extended warranty" scam we set up a $50 per month deposit to a bank money market when we bought the STS in 2005 (and the Explorer in 2015). For the STS that's $600 a year, 15 years total. $9,000 in the fund and we've spent only $2800 of it so far. Not counting regular maintenance - oil/filter, tires, battery, brakes, coolant changes, etc. - those are everyday operating expenses.

YOUR car may be a creampuff - steady and reliable - and its sister may be a maintenance nightmare. Luck of the draw, brand name notwithstanding. There are plenty of Lexus nightmares, too.

·
Registered
'02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum
2,828 Posts
Expect to replace the MRC shocks (if equipped) every 40-50k miles. It's a lot cheaper to buy them online and have any competent shop replace them. I recently had a catalytic converter replaced for $1200. Other than those items (and tires) the XTS is relatively problem-free. Read through the many years of XTS threads and you won't find many other repetitive issues other than shocks and the occasional air compressor (Mine failed at 45k miles under warranty.)

If you're paranoid about car repair costs, purchase an extended warranty for additional peace of mind. I'd rather keep the $3k in the bank and hope I don't need it.

YMMV,
CC

·
Registered
16 Posts
Glad to see someone on the board...

Here are some (perhaps too lengthy) thoughts and experiences, but not a straight answer, just sharing.

I have a 2005 Lexus ls430 ultra (adaptive cruise and air suspension) and a 2016 Cadillac XTS Luxury AWD. Just perspective that while I love the Lexus (smoothest, quietest car I have ever driven), it has had its share of minor issues over the years, while my Cadillac at age 5 has been nearly perfect so far (although I got at at a relatively younger age in its life).

The Lexus is simply phenomenal despite being old, but it has had its share of repairs. I had a 6 year CPO wrap warranty when I got it in 2009 but lots of little things, averaging $800 year or so had I not had the warranty. Cruise control computer (I have adaptive cruise), left mirror, mirror switch, height sensor, air strut mount rusted (whole new $1500 strut under warranty), tilt wheel motor, etc. After the warranty expired, I got 1 new wheel bearing ($800) and then a check engine light last year 3 times: New cat (may not have been needed), new y-pipe, 1 new 02 sensor, 1 new MAF sensor, and $3k later from dealer it runs great (for a 15 year old car!). So not major repairs but they were costly. Also learned never to buy chrome wheels (which came with it). They pit out over time causing small leaks, a pain to deal with.

My Cadillac XTS is now around 5 years old. I got it 3.5 years ago with 24k miles on it. So far, no repairs I've had to pay for. Under warranty, a brake squeak I was able to demonstrate to dealer and to my surprise they fixed (some bushing inside, inexpensive part), dead battery (covered under warranty surprisingly just under the 4 year mark), and that is it. Note that 20" tires are expensive (I have the 19", got Vredestein Quattro Pro and LOVE them so far: much much quieter than OE tires). Also note that the 20" platinum wheels pre-2018 while pretty seem to have a metal-to-metal issue (2 metals) that causes some of them to corrode from what I have read. They are gorgeous wheels but be careful: Also more subject to potholes and wheels are expensive to replace! Not sure if the 2018+ redesign eliminated that corroding issue, I suspect it did as wheels are different.

One bad pothole last winter took out both passenger side tires (not the 19" wheels fortunately) AND according to the dealer a Strut. Given it was towed to dealer, I could not really negotiate price, and it ended up being $1000+ just for the magnetic ride shock installed. I consider that a major rip off even for the magnetic ride shock/strut (whatever that is), as the part itself is available supposedly for around $300 direct. If you get an 2018+ below the Premium trim (base or luxury) it has regular struts, not magnetic ride control. That will probably save you a fair chunk of change over time as you can get parts from any suspension store (Mavis, etc.) /car repair place, and the MRC shocks do supposedly wear out around 50k miles. Still, I wish I had adaptive cruise on my car like my 2005 Lexus has and think the premium/platinum might be worth it if I were getting a 2018+. Just beware that unlike 2017 and earlier, premium on 2018 only has the 20" wheels from what I have seen: more expensive tires and riskier wheels.

2 of my MRC shocks in the rear were LEAKING but replaced under warranty, fortunately. The initial leak was noted on the service history of the car before I even got it (when Cadillac dealer showed me), but I guess was not bad enough to change, but dealer under regular service (free!) noticed it. They are an expensive wear item. On other side I have not yet had had to replace any brake pads.

By the way, my 2016 had 4 years included service, and I really really liked having that. 2018 still has 3 years but 2019 does not anymore. Too bad.

FYI I had a 2001 buick lesabre for 15 years / 120k+ miles previously, a similar (older) GM car and its biggest expense was a cracked plastic lower manifold, around $1500. It got old enough that it was niggling me with repairs so we got rid of it but it never left me stranded (the manifold nearly did but not quite!). I wish GM still made a sedan of that size (or even the XTS now that is is gone). I got the XTS as the closest thing to the lesabre that I could find. It is definitely a superior car to the Lesabre (as it should be 15 years newer), but I miss the Lesabre's enormous interior.

I personally love my Lexus even though it is getting long int the tooth. My wife loves the Cadillac. I recommend you get one under initial warranty (still under 4 years/50k) just in case and also make sure it has some basic service history: oil changes are good enough for a car that recent I think. At 3 years / 50k I changed brake fluid routinely (I always do with cars with ABS brakes to avoid damage from water in the brake fluid: it is in the service schedule) and trans fluid just preemptively (as car was not new to me). I checked into changing the differential fluid etc. but did not bother as it is never listed as a service item even for severe maintenance and is quite pricey. I might do it when car hits 100k assuming I still own it (probably will).

So overall I would not worry too much, but recommend a car under initial warranty if possible. By the way, once or twice when I have started my car it sputtered terribly and gave me a check engine light. I was worried but a restart fixed it immediately. Computers... nothing is perfect.

·
Registered
2016 Escalade ESV, 2017 GMC Sierra 6.2
1,695 Posts
Front shocks, CUE radio screen, rear shocks, and rear suspension air pump are the common expensive repairs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
1,584 Posts
By the way, my 2016 had 4 years included service, and I really really liked having that. 2018 still has 3 years but 2019 does not anymore. Too bad.
??? My '19 has a warranty for 4 years or 80,000 km b to b and 6 years or 110,000 km on the powertrain.

As far as Lexus:

I knew when buying that the MRC are expensive to replace...not sure if conventional shocks last longer or not, but I went with them instead of MRC...and I love the ride with the conventional. I heard that there is not much difference in MRC vs Conventional except in high speed cornering - since I'm not going to be taking corners at high speed running away from the cops, lol, I opted for conventional. CUE in the MY '13-'17 is weak point...just search the forum here.
Overall, most XTS owners agree that they love their car and find it reliable, but as always there can be that Mon or Fri car (in any brand/model) that is problematic.

·
Registered
2012 SRX 3.6 AWD
17 Posts
Can anyone let me know what are the most expensive repairs that an XTS owner is likely to encounter? I suppose that as with most potential Cadillac owners I know not to expect the perfect reliability that you might expect with a Lexus. I know that with some Fords and Lincolns there are water pump issues that might require you to spend $7K on a new engine. I love the XTS and right now a 2016-2019 is my my top choice for the new car that I expect to buy in the next month or so. I would just like to hear what might be the worst case problems, and how much they typically cost, that one might expect for this car. Basically how much should you expect to need to set aside to make sure you can always keep the car running?
it's all hit and miss these days, with anything or anybody. Cars are all computer-controlled yet we still rely on a technology that was created over 100 years ago to make them function. Even your turn signals Tuesdays in your headlights are controlled by a BCM. Yet that BCM i(body control module ) is reliant upon insulated copper wires to make those things function correctly .to that had that headlight and turn signal with a technology that is over hundred years old so what is more likely to fail

·
Registered
'02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum
2,828 Posts
Today's headlights & turn signals are light-years ahead of what was in use even 30 years ago. You may as well compare a jet engine to a propeller-driven aircraft. Both move air to generate forward movement, but most of the similarities end there.

In the lighting application, the BCM distributes is a power distribution node. I say node because it's part of a ringed configuration network that continuously monitors itself. Switches on the dash and steering column control the lights. Control-wise the main point today's vehicles have in common with their predecessors is they rely on the movement of electrons --which have been around a lot longer than vehicles. Soon the majority being manufactured will be powered by them.

I have never subscribed to using unqualified generalities like, "it's all hit-or-miss these days, with anything or anybody". One's position tends to end up in a corner surrounded by wet paint when doing so.

While a minority of vehicles from the same assembly line are plagued with more problems than their siblings using the same design, installation and testing methodology, there's nothing hit-or-miss about it. There is always a root cause for a problem in a production environment, be it a bad batch of parts, or an assembly worker who is careless. Despite the complexity of evolving technology, today's vehicle are better than ever from a reliability standpoint. It wasn't so long ago that when any vehicle approached 100k miles, it was time to get rid of it. Everything on a vehicle wears or degrades with use over time, but cars last longer today than ever before.

Twenty-five years ago, $25k bought you a nice car. It still does today, but with even more features and reliability built-in.

The whole point of this thread is the OP asked what kinds of repairs could be expected during ownership. The XTS community has responded with the main problems they see repeatedly posted here.

CC

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi. If you are looking at recent XTS then look for one certified with the extended warranty. I purchased a Used 2019 XTS certified and have warranty coverage for many Extra years and miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts