Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 91 Deville and I went to my local shop to get the tires rotated. When they were done they told me that the valve cover gaskets, main bering seal and the intake manifold gaskets were all leaking. The car leakes oil but that what I expected from a 15 year old car. He also told me that the motor mounts were shot. The total cost to fix it he said was going to be $2200. I almost hit him in disbelief. I checked on the total cost of the parts and it comes to about $300. Is there an easy way to do this myself or is it one of those things where I would spend about $2200 on tool and parts and still be back at square 1? I also read here that 15/45 was okay for that car and after changing to that oil the car runs so quite that evertime I stop at a light or something I look to see if it cut off cause of how smooth it runs. any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Man, did I offend someone or something. Usually I see posts get answered fairly quick. Honestly, what did I do?:hmm:

·
Registered
1993 Eldo 4.9 66K miles
368 Posts
For the most part, the repairs you describe are not for the unskilled. None are "easy" with the possible exception of the valve cover gaskets, and then only relatively speaking. The largest part of the repair cost you were given is due to the rear main bearing seal. The tranny has to come down for that one. At the very least you will need a factory service manual available at www.helminc.com or used from Ebay if you're lucky. The oil you mention has some interesting properties but you'll not likely hear much of a difference in the sound of the engine.
Then again, the shop that told you this may be full of crap. You might want to have someone else look at it.
FWIW
YMMV

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
Much of the time shops are looking for all the work they can get so any leak will get pointed out. How bad has it been leaking?

If you want to start learning how to do things yourself the valve cover gaskets are a good place to start. They aren't too hard to change but there are some details. The intake is a little harder but not that hard. The main seal is a shop job but it might be something you live with.

If you're going to start working on it yourself then get the manual (factory) as NickySantoro said.

·
Registered
305 Posts
My engine leaks oil all over (all seals, oil filter adapter etc.), but only when the car runs. No oil on the driveway. I can definitely live with it since it loses less than a pint between oil changes. I usually change oil every 5.000 miles or so.

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
Everybody here has offered you good advice. It's interesting you don't mention in your initial post that you've noticed spots in your driveway or dramatic oil loss between changes. If those things aren't happening, I'd be suspect of the shop's diagnosis.

If indeed your intake gaskets are gone, the more likely scenario is that you'll get antifreeze in the oil - that's bad - but unless your oil looks like cream of mushroom soup, it's probably not happening.

Stick a couple spare quarts in the trunk and thank your lucky stars you don't own a Jaguar.

Which reminds me of a great joke. You know why the British didn't invent television? Because they couldn't figure out how ro make it leak oil!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thank you for the replys. I took the car to another shop and they said the samething. I looked at the motor mounts and they look like they have caved in, almost like they have been crushed. As for the leaks there are a few drops that I can see but not much to worry about as I changed they oil and it was less than a pint missing. The oil also had no abnormal discoloration to it. Thats a good thing I am sure. Again thank you so much for the help.

·
Registered
'80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe
2,096 Posts
noahsdad said:
Which reminds me of a great joke. You know why the British didn't invent television? Because they couldn't figure out how ro make it leak oil!
Why do the British drink warm beer? Because they have Lucas refrigerators.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts