Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I posted about a month ago when I got Velgen wheels for my 2011 Vagon. They looked good but were lacking a certain something. Anyway, I decided that "something" was the OEM yellow calipers (I had silver) and lowered ride height. I went with Renick Engineering lowering springs and OEM yellow V calipers from the dealer. Car looks fantastic!

The springs lower it the perfect amount, and I mean perfect. It looks fantastic, the wheel wells are filled perfectly.

The ride is a bit harsher, a bit stiffer than I expected. Overall though, the car is still very comfortable over rough surfaces. Cornering is fantastic, the car is flatter while cornering and I can take corners at higher speeds (according to my precise scientific methods, AKA looking at the speedo).

I am getting some squeaking from the springs though, after reading threads about the D3 springs and the Eibachs doing the same thing, I've contacted Renick to see if there's a solution. It's a minor annoyance and only occurs during specific bumps.

Anyway, new album is here: (I've already curbed two of the wheels. Grr. Car is wider than before, and I'm not used to it).

http://imgur.com/a/gLyBx#24

Before:

and After:

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
Very nice, the stance is perfect! The yellow calipers look good inside the dark wheels too.

Side note - Have you considered a plate frame for the front? I hate the two plate law here in VA too, but figured might as well dress it up.

View attachment 304618

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Are the DC parking guys giving you ticket for no plate on a VA license ?

I got pulled over a few years back in DC, and the local tried to give me grief about no front plate after pulling me over for expired registration. I flat out told him it wasn't his jurisdiction. He shrugged his shoulders and let me go.

·
Registered
98' Eldorado ESC
740 Posts
Paint those rotor caps!
Besides that it looks AMAZING, really like your combo for some reason, plus I love seeing any V with the titanium interior. Is yours an auto or 6spd?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are the DC parking guys giving you ticket for no plate on a VA license ?

I got pulled over a few years back in DC, and the local tried to give me grief about no front plate after pulling me over for expired registration. I flat out told him it wasn't his jurisdiction. He shrugged his shoulders and let me go.
Lucky! I've had an S2000 and a Miata, both without front plates, and I got about 5 or 6 tickets from meter maids in DC for not having front plates. Really sucks, not sure why they care!

----------

Paint those rotor caps!
Besides that it looks AMAZING, really like your combo for some reason, plus I love seeing any V with the titanium interior. Is yours an auto or 6spd?
Thanks! You should see it in person. I know, the hats are the next thing, going to sand them and coat them black. The look awful. It's a 6 speed :)

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V
15 Posts
See that squeaking is EXACTLY why I didnt get the RED Springs or any spring for my car for that matter. But I will say that I damn sure want to get the RED springs put on my car BADLY to go with the sway bars i got on from them and figured it would be the perfect combo/solution toward better handling. I know I didnt want to do any of the install modifications I kept reading about that ppl were doing just to endure having lowerin springs to cut the noise out so I've been skeptical to get them. I've been dealing with the stock height for now and I love the fact that my car makes no noise at all (as hearing that would drive me crazy). I want guaranteed SILENCE if im going to lower it because thats how it supposed to be (no noise). Also wondering how did the springs work out with the Magna-Ride, any affects on it or to it when you go from Touring to Sport? Is the stiffness unbearable in Sport Mode?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I actually wanted to mention that the squeaking is NOT from the springs. It's that my dumb ass got tires for the wheels *before* lowering the car. I was told not to put them on the car if I was going to lower it, and guess what I did? I lowered the car anyway :)

Another issue I'm having is ride height. I scrape on most speed bumps unless I go sideways. The issue isn't the car's ride height, it's the exhaust. I have a Stainless Works exhaust, the pipes are much fatter than the stock exhaust's, and that's the part that scrapes.

Otherwise handling is awesome, corners much flatter, it's a bit rougher over bumps but not too much worse than stock. Yes, it's definitely harsher in sport mode but fantastic around turns.

See that squeaking is EXACTLY why I didnt get the RED Springs or any spring for my car for that matter. But I will say that I damn sure want to get the RED springs put on my car BADLY to go with the sway bars i got on from them and figured it would be the perfect combo/solution toward better handling. I know I didnt want to do any of the install modifications I kept reading about that ppl were doing just to endure having lowerin springs to cut the noise out so I've been skeptical to get them. I've been dealing with the stock height for now and I love the fact that my car makes no noise at all (as hearing that would drive me crazy). I want guaranteed SILENCE if im going to lower it because thats how it supposed to be (no noise). Also wondering how did the springs work out with the Magna-Ride, any affects on it or to it when you go from Touring to Sport? Is the stiffness unbearable in Sport Mode?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Would you like a set now :)

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V
15 Posts
Would you like a set now :)
When are you going to explain the solution to noise elimination AND speak about how the Magna-Ride wont be affected?
Any technique to putting the springs on and having it just right (so everything operates like stock with nothing affected). I only want the car to be squated about an inch lower all the way around but have a more controlled feel to the car (sway bars helped this some).

·
Registered
2014 CTS-V Wagon OBM 6MT
54 Posts
It's that my dumb ass got tires for the wheels *before* lowering the car. I was told not to put them on the car if I was going to lower it, and guess what I did? I lowered the car anyway :)

Just curious as to why you were told not to put new tires before lowering - clearance issues with the tires, with the wheels, or both?

·
Registered
38 Posts
When are you going to explain the solution to noise elimination AND speak about how the Magna-Ride wont be affected?
Any technique to putting the springs on and having it just right (so everything operates like stock with nothing affected). I only want the car to be squated about an inch lower all the way around but have a more controlled feel to the car (sway bars helped this some).
There is no noise after you install our springs, as the OP mentioned again, the noise was from his rear tires rubbing on the quarter panel. As far as the Magna-ride, we have been tested on our own V with few track events and Manga-ride was functioning 100% with no error. From what I understand, it will not affect the Magna-ride unless you're lowering the car by a lot. Our springs lower the front .75 inch and 1 inch for the rear. It's a very conservative set up. Let me know if you have any questions, thank you

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There is no noise after you install our springs, as the OP mentioned again, the noise was from his rear tires rubbing on the quarter panel. As far as the Magna-ride, we have been tested on our own V with few track events and Manga-ride was functioning 100% with no error. From what I understand, it will not affect the Magna-ride unless you're lowering the car by a lot. Our springs lower the front .75 inch and 1 inch for the rear. It's a very conservative set up. Let me know if you have any questions, thank you
Like he said, it was my tires rubbing, NOT the springs!!

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Sedan
55 Posts
Is this rubbing issue due to the size of the tires? If so what size prevents rubbing and is the same issue found on the sedan as it is on the vagon?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts