Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2005 STS 2009 CTS
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with our 1999 STS. There is a coolant leak at the crossover where it connects with the front bank. I was wondering if anyone has any hints on best method to proceed? I have the time, and the patience, just want to make sure that I have my ducks in a row. I used dye treated coolant with a black-light to spot the leak.
I previously have replaced the water pump module also.
I already purchased the gaskets, and thermostat/waterpump rtv sealant for the job, but want to make sure if there is anything else needed before my car goes on temporary hiatus.
Thanks for any information that you can send my way. I tried a search of the site, but it seems most have addressed the water pump housing in an eldorado.
BTW, is it okay to use that RTV sealant on this job, or is it supposed to be a "dry" seal?

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
I have a problem with our 1999 STS. There is a coolant leak at the crossover where it connects with the front bank.....I previously have replaced the water pump module also.
When you replaced your water pump cartridge, did you install the "new design" water pump cover and "new design" water pump cover seal?
Both items have been redesigned since your car and mine rolled off the assembly line.
I already purchased the gaskets, and thermostat/waterpump rtv sealant
I would not use rtv sealant anywhere near my cooling system.
I hesitate to use the O ring terminology because the water pump cover uses a "rectangular" ring type seal.

Good luck on this task; you will be spending many hours bent over the LF fender. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,635 Posts
I tried a search of the site, but it seems most have addressed the water pump housing in an eldorado.
Same engine.

As Jim said, you are in for a hell of a job.

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado
2,814 Posts
Well I have a coolant loss issue that has surfaced over the last week. I drove 300mi last weekend and no problem then in the morning about 1 to 1 1/2 qt was on the floor.

Its not over heating and having mentally prepared myself for the WORST scenario, after quite a bit of reluctant inspection I warmed it to pressure up and got it to leak. Some times it was fine and then it would dump coolant between the block & tranny in the vicinity of the ex. crossover pipe also dripping across the trans. case at the pan.
I have discovered a crossover leak that makes me joyfully happy. It is right at the top inside corner of what I believe to be the upper head port (back head) and it sprays right under the TB causing puddling in the valley.

I see the crossover assembly has too many components in its design and every thing else is in the way to complicate things further. From what I see the upper crossover head ports appear to have a a rather heavy 1/8th in.thick gasket and it sprayed right out the gasket media in fact I revved the engine to create more heat& pressure and it started spraying my fingers on the throttle cable shoe as it was held at about 2500rpm.

I will look into what is needed to proceed & complete this repair. I have done the coolant pump so I have been on the easy end of the crossover and hope I don't need to remove the pump again my pump tool is 1300mi away.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,043 Posts
Lay in some back liniment, bag balm, and a bottle of Scotch. The water crossover is doable in the car BUT there's a lot of stuff in the way and it all needs to come off/out. A long weekend, johnny...........but at least you found the problem to be outside the engine block.

Use some sticky gasket sealant - not too much - to hold those 4 new crossover gaskets in place as you start the bolts while using magic words. I think ewill3rd showed some pix a while back that had the new blue gasket seal rings.........

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado
2,814 Posts
Lay in some back liniment, bag balm, and a bottle of Scotch. The water crossover is doable in the car BUT there's a lot of stuff in the way and it all needs to come off/out. A long weekend, johnny...........but at least you found the problem to be outside the engine block.

Use some sticky gasket sealant - not too much - to hold those 4 new crossover gaskets in place as you start the bolts while using magic words. I think ewill3rd showed some pix a while back that had the new blue gasket seal rings.........
I got religion....... I'l try to hunt down ewill3rd but I see that the searching has been a challenge since the new format.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,635 Posts
Johnny, check the Tech Tips section. I can't recall if there is a tutorial in there about the crossover, but it's worth a look. I DO know that it is a royal PITA.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
If you get the crossover off clean the surfaces of the heads and crossover and put them on dry.
The bolt holes in the seals squeeze into the seals and you just install all 8 bolts just enough to hold the seals in place while you drop it in.
It is not a job for the average person, it takes me about 5 hours on the older ones.
I did post pictures and I did a search the other day and linked them to someone.

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado 2000 Jeep TJ 2000 Ford SD 4X4 Diesel crew cab
372 Posts
Very good luck to you that was a BIG PITA to remove and replace with the engine out of the car Hats off to you if you can do it and remain sane.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I mentioned this elsewhere, on '06 and up DTS you HAVE to remove the crossover to service the water pump.
The cartridge style pump is gone and it is a bolt on unit with the bolts on the back side.
There is no access to get the pump out without removing the crossover.
The good news is that it is slightly easier than the original design, the bad news is, it still sucks!

·
Registered
2005 STS 2009 CTS
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I got it done. Got to say that I don't ever want to do that again. I put it off until Labor Day Weekend, and basically worked on it late Friday night, finished it Saturday. Did a test drive, and danged if it didn't leak, but this time from the back side. :(
I said the hell with it for the weekend. Told the wife to drive the pickup, and I would drive the car, in case the leak got worse. Well, it made it until this weekend, so I pulled it back apart, and this time, I used gasket sealer (I know it's supposed to be dry, but I was NOT going to not use it this time) and re-assembled that joke of an assembly under that hood. I put the tabs in this time, just to give myself abit more ease-of-mind. I told the wife if it wasn't good this time, I was NOT gong to touch it again, she was going to just have to keep adding abit of coolant as needed. Lucky for me, it is not leaking at all. Seems like the second time was the charm. I can honestly say after messing with this, my hands are a mess, little cuts, scratches, mashed knuckles, plus the sore back to match. Gotta say though, it feels good to beat that beast.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Be careful, once they get a taste of human blood.... :lol:

Yeah, I got some good scars over the years. Believe it or not they are a lot better now than they used to be.
We used to joke about GM's "sharp object research division" working overtime.
Now that I think of it maybe that should end in something that starts with E so I could call it "SORE"?
Maybe Sharp Object Research Engineering?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,043 Posts
Bill - You ever get bit by a nylon cable tie tip that was cut off at an angle ? Those things are as sharp as a razor.............

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Yep I have been bitten by those and lots of other fancy things.
My favorites are the razor sharp tracks on the window regulators and steel belts on tires.
I took a wrench to the face yesterday, still have a massive lump on my forehead to prove it.
Of course that was kind of my own fault but....

·
Registered
2005 STS 2009 CTS
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The worst I have done myself was also self-inflicted. I smashed my knuckles into the concrete one time changing tires. Learned how not to try to loosen those lugs after that learning experience.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Oh man, you want to talk stories... of course I have an unfair advantage since I have done this for a living...
I have zapped myself with HEI ignition systems, knocked myself unconscious walking into lifts, burned, slashed, and bruised myself more times than I can count, crushed various parts of my body, twisted limbs, gotten chemicals, gasoline, spraypaint, and battery acid in my eyes...
I am not sure I could classify something as "the worst".
I was reminded today of one of the funniest things I ever did.
I jumped out of a car that was up in the air and landed with my heel on an air hose which pushed me forward trying to gain my balance. I ran almost full speed trying to regain control with my torso leaning forward... head first into a closed shop door... it was equated to a NASCAR driver hitting the wall at full speed as I slid down the door until I came to a stop. :lol:

I crushed my toes with an alternator before I started wearing steel toed shoes once. That was awesome.
I always buy steel toes now, once I dropped a steering knuckle off a truck right on my steel toes, cut the leather pretty good but I didn't feel a thing.
Thank God I can't think of any more exciting right now, but I have lost count really.
Oh wait, I know a good one that sent me to the emergency room. I was doing a window motor on an old suburban with the power lift glass. I pulled the motor off with my hand in the door without noticing the giant pretension spring on the bottom... it almost chopped my hand in half and I thought I shattered the bones in my hand but I was okay... just really freakin sore.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts