Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried several different searches, but I'm still coming up without good pointers on removing the trunk lid liner. My wife's 2007 STS has a loose manual external trunk release and I'd like to see if I can take care of the issue.

I was sure there was a link in the forum Fun Facts 'Sticky' Thread, but I don't see that anymore, either. Maybe the ads that my version of Zone Alarm detects as infections is blocking it?

Regardless, can someone share some info or a good link?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2007 STS-V
193 Posts
Just go to harbor freight and buy the kit which contains the body tool set. You want the one that looks like a putty knife except it is bent and has a grove in the blade. Then pull out the push pins by leveraging them out with the tool. It takes about 10 minutes to remove all of them. The liner just drops down. I assume you are talking about the trunk lid, not the trunk liner in the car.

·
Registered
2008 STS4 V8 1SG Platinum Edition
606 Posts
my 05 trunk release button assembly was rotted enough that it was loose and finally fell out. I wedged something up there to keep it up along with black duct tape so that it would stay. The tape was not too noticeable. hopefully yours isn't rotted like mine was.

·
Registered
2006 STS 1SF N* RWD NAV F55
705 Posts
Mine was loose, so I cleaned up up like new, and Glued it in carefully,
Thinking, once it is glued, I will never have to do this again,
and it's waterproofed,automatically.
I actually came out better , than it sounds.
and works great.
All the members are Right on, about the fasteners, I have
had mine off two or three times, they just pop off,
i have a trim tool, i got on ebay for about $ 3.00.
Happy Motoring :stirpot::):yup:

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just go to harbor freight and buy the kit which contains the body tool set. You want the one that looks like a putty knife except it is bent and has a grove in the blade. Then pull out the push pins by leveraging them out with the tool. It takes about 10 minutes to remove all of them. The liner just drops down. I assume you are talking about the trunk lid, not the trunk liner in the car.
'K I guess I was over-thinking it. It's just one more push-fit.

I've already got some nylon trim tools. I just thought there may be a way to minimize damage to the retainers. It really is so 'right' now.

I'll report on results for any interested.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my 05 trunk release button assembly was rotted enough that it was loose and finally fell out. I wedged something up there to keep it up along with black duct tape so that it would stay. The tape was not too noticeable. hopefully yours isn't rotted like mine was.
This is exactly the issue. Right now, it's held in place with some heavy clear tape, but I had thought to price a replacement and do the job right. There isn't any other evidence of water leakage (common) so I wonder what caused the 'rotting' of all 4 tabs?

Sub#613's idea does sound appealing. It still fits snuggly between the license plate light mounts and a good silicone-based sealer should do well with the aluminum trunk lid; sealing well for a long time and yet removable should that become necessary.

Anyone have a part number or pricing info?

·
Registered
2018 Camaro 2SS/NPP/F55/AQJ, Sold: 2015 Camaro, 2006 STS (EXP) 1997 Seville STS (EXP)
447 Posts
Rear Compartment Lid Assembly/Switch #10383948/ACD D1426F [email protected] $ 18.99
...the 4 little tabs/clamps are not available separately from GM...and the switches little - so called - "seal" is glued on...

btw...it was a bad idea from GM to use this little steel tabs/clamps for the switch in conjunction with an aluminium trunk lid...aluminium together with steel (iron or whatever)...and air moisture/humidity/rain ---> electrochemical corrosion...providing rotting tabs and also corroding (trunk lid-) aluminium...

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, two different metals in contact will corrode. I wonder if they decided to change the trunk lid to save weight and never thought to tell the rest of the design team.

The switch is less than I thought.

·
Registered
2018 Camaro 2SS/NPP/F55/AQJ, Sold: 2015 Camaro, 2006 STS (EXP) 1997 Seville STS (EXP)
447 Posts
...lol...yeah, who knows...:)
...and yes...price is ok...
GM/Cadillac retail for the switch is $ 42.64 atm...

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
'Course, there's no way to know if the replacement would hold up any better (or have the same quality finish) as the original, sealed into place...

Say 'Poncho', thanks for the part #. You didn't happen to see the part number for the trunk liner clips, did you? Despite using Nylon tools and taking more than casual care, I savaged one or two of them pretty good.

----------

Nevermind, I found a fastener on Amazon for 1/4" holes at < $5/100. Reviews & pictures look good; how can I lose?

·
Registered
447 Posts
...well...yeah...we will see...also bought the replacement switch a year ago...I think "quality" is the same...the clamps...I put some protective wax on them...and on the inside of the lid...in the switch area...still hoping it holds a while...;)

...the trunk liner clips/nylon retainers are generic parts...used on many cars...and also in fenders, shields...
...once bought a set for my trunk...they are listed e.g. under GM 1595864, 1605396...ebay will be your friend... :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts