Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey we were thinking about installing an exhaust on my friends car. If he went custom magnaflow exhaust and removed the resonator, would it give him more power? RSM racing exhaust doesnt seem to have a resonator.

What would the sound quality be like? would it be a nice strong sound or would it sound like those honda civics?

Okay thanks

·
Registered
413 Posts
Talk to SDMarine about that, he did a custom Magnaflow exhaust, but he replaced the resonator with an X-pipe into a Magnaflow dual-in, dual-out muffler and got an increase in both horsepower and torque.

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
The resonator is there for noise abatement. The factory one works by both mixing the gas pulses from the left and right bank (like an X pipe) AND has damping material inside like a muffler. I think the marine installed an XPipe AND a high flow 'resonator' which was basically a dual-in/dual-out muffler (like Cadiman said). I've got the Borla on my 3.2L which replaces the center resonator with a higher flowing one. I like the relative quiet and performance. I'm not into the 'Flowmaster' sound some mods can make.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I've been exhanging emails with SDMarine because I'm going to do the same thing that he did, and he was running me through the whole process. He installed a Magnaflow X-Pipe and Magnaflow dual-in/dual-out muffler, which to my understanding, is not a high-flow resonator.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info. I know if i replace it with an X-pipe, the noise will be loud but would it be like a growl or one of those honda civic exhaust sound ( No offense to hondas lol)

thanks

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
CadiKing2006 said:
thanks for the info. I know if i replace it with an X-pipe, the noise will be loud but would it be like a growl or one of those honda civic exhaust sound ( No offense to hondas lol)

thanks
You dont just want to replace the resonator with an X pipe that is what I had previously and it sounded like a pissed of honda. You need to replace the Resonator with a Magnaflow muffler and put the X pipe right before it then you will get a very nice deep rumble nothing like a honda. Then if you put the Header and cats your sound will be even deeper and you will really hear your engine purr when you get on the gas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts