Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V, 1969 Cougar XR7 Convertible, 1970 GTO, 1970 Torino GT, 2006 XLR
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi All.....Today, I noticed some fine scratches in the aluminum trim piece below the trunk lid that has the Cadillac logo on it. :ill: I tried Maguires Scratch X 2.0 with some improvement, but still visible depending on how the light hits the trim. Does anybody have a technique and product that has worked for them? Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks :)

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Post some pics. What type of detailing tools do you have on hand (i.e. hand solution or do you have a dual action polisher, etc)?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi...Thanks for responding....Honestly, the scratches are so light that they really do not show up in pictures ( I however know they are there and I am a little OCD! :( ) and only when the sunlight catches the trim piece just right. The trim piece is so narrow that a dual action polisher is too big, although I have one....Ideally, removal by hand would be the best approach. I have a number of Maguers products and some AMMO NYC product. Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HHMmm....that is a thought....I wonder how easy it is to remove and replace...thoughts?thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
I believe that this is a plastic piece (someone correct me?). Mine feels like it. Perhaps you want to look at some of the interior scratch removers like Meguiar's PlastX?

If you have a Dual Action, perhaps tape off the area, and try the scratch X again using the edge of the polisher, but go light on the pressure.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks rjoffi, that is an excellent idea...will give it a try after our big snow storm coming to NJ :(

·
Registered
2019 ATS-V, Black Raven, all options, no mods
82 Posts
Try contacting Adam's Polishes. That's all I use anymore. Everything they have works great, but the VRT is possibly some level of witchcraft it works so well.

If there's a way to remove the scratches, they'll know. Otherwise, you might just have to replace the trim piece as mentioned above.

https://adamspolishes.com/

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V Coupe (Catti-V)
1,751 Posts
Out at this, if you get the car ceramic-coated, or maybe just ceramic coat that piece to try it out, the ceramic coating fills in a lot of the fine scratches. Most of those will disappear with a good coating

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Leesrt....thanks for the suggestion....I am going to order a new trim piece from GM Parts Direct....It is only $80....much cheaper than a ceramic coat I think...I think it just pops on with two clips.

·
Registered
2017 ATS-V 6MT CWT Sedan, Tuned 2016 Explorer TT
659 Posts
Wanderer, before you spend $80 on a trim piece because it has some scratches only you can see and then spend however much time installing it, try wet sanding it with fine sand paper. Your goal is to remove a thin layer of plastic with a fine wetted abrasive (1000-3000 grit sandpaper) and then polish off the fine scratches with a swirl remover that you already tried. The swirl remover is just not abrasive enough to remove anything but very fine swirl marks in the clearcoat. Its a multi-stage process. Do apply very light pressure and use water with your sand paper and try a small spot first. I don't know if it will work, but what is the worse thing that will happen? You will just buy another piece anyway.

·
Registered
83 Posts
To properly remove that rear trim piece you need to remove the bumper fascia which takes some time . A few guys on other posts removed the trim by prying it up , but they say that a clip broke doing this. They claim that the piece will go back in and stay in place. One guy said he used some silicone glue to hold it in place.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V Coupe (Catti-V)
1,751 Posts
In my opinion, you're better off popping the old one off and breaking the clips and then gluing the new one in place. To me thats far less risky then removing the entire rear bumper. Not that removing the rear bumper is unbelievably hard, just has more parts, clips, connections, thus more things can go wrong. Break one clip on the bumper cover and guess what you need...a new bumper cover.

I had my dealership install my black chrome grill and bumper applique for me so if they break it they replace it. Cost me $200. Worth it for peace of mind.

·
Registered
2018 ATS-V SDN (White, Blk Recaros, Lux/Safety, Red Brems, Blk Rims, Sun Roof, 6sp)
528 Posts
Hi All.....Today, I noticed some fine scratches in the aluminum trim piece below the trunk lid that has the Cadillac logo on it. :ill: I tried Maguires Scratch X 2.0 with some improvement, but still visible depending on how the light hits the trim. Does anybody have a technique and product that has worked for them? Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks :)
If none of the scratch removal suggestions works for you, you can always just get that piece wrapped. I had that piece and the front grill wrapped on my 2016 and it turned out awesome with minimal cost. Might be cheaper than trying to replace it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the suggestion Yatman.....I purchased a new piece from GM Parts Direct...It was $80. Not sure if wrapping would be cheaper than that...do you have any idea how to remove the old piece and install the new one?....Does the bumper pad have to come off to get access to the retainer clips? Thanks again!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts