·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided I am goi ng to remove the rear CTS letters :yup:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
If you take it off you'll probably find the paint has faded a bit on your trunk lid and a darker color CTS will appear in the paint.

·
Registered
05 Redline CTS
1,007 Posts
If you take it off you'll probably find the paint has faded a bit on your trunk lid and a darker color CTS will appear in the paint.
not true i had a dealer sticker on my old GTP for about 3 years, then decided to remove it, the color behind the sticker was the same as the rest of the car.

·
Registered
03' CTS..06' STS...99' Escalade
144 Posts
Actually, I just removed mine a month ago, the rear CTS logo, after three years, black paint...and no fade or removal marks visible....IMO, looks clean

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
xcorpion1969 said:
Actually, I just removed mine a month ago, the rear CTS logo, after three years, black paint...and no fade or removal marks visible....IMO, looks clean
Is the black a solid? If so you can get away with what you got away with. Metallic paints actually reflect light and UV fads the paint.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
joeyblaze said:
not true i had a dealer sticker on my old GTP for about 3 years, then decided to remove it, the color behind the sticker was the same as the rest of the car.
Was it a solid or metallic paint on your car?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
SdMarineGuy said:
I have decided I am going to remove the rear CTS letters :yup:
Just out of curiosity, why are you removing the emblem? I hate emblems and stickers and I usually remove them from everything and every vehicle I own (if it can be done without exposing holes), but the CTS emblem is so discreet and done in a nice font--it looks great.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was so happy with my deal and the look of the chrome dealer emblem (Chesapeake) I actually let them leave it on my car! I have ALWAYS had the dealer remove their commercial before taking delivery.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS
165 Posts
Thought of this aswell. If you dont mind, give a report on what method you use for removing it and how successful your attempt is

·
Registered
07 SRX V8 AWD Diamond White Sport Edition & 08 C6 LS3/418ci
736 Posts
Mauricio:

Heat up the area where the emblem is with a heat gun on a low setting to start and then move it to medium to break the adhesive bond on the 3M tape. Then use a very fine gauge of fishing line and work it gently behind the emblem and it will literally pop off.

Clean up the entire deck area with a good "cleaner wax" that contains a mild abrasive; and then go back and "polish" the trunk deck.

You can apply a protective carnauba wax to finish, but the clear coat on the CTS does not require any waxing at all as it is urethane based. Bottom line is wash, cleaner wax and then polish.

Protective wax as a final step is NOT necessary and provides not additional clear coat protection.

If you plan on replacing the emblem with another emblem; use dupont "polishing compound" rather than the "cleaner wax" after you have removed the emblem. Then install your new emblem; and then polish the car.

Pete

For a cleaner wax I would recommend using Zymol Cleaner Wax......about $8.00 a bottle and can be found in most auto retail shops. It comes in a "blue bottle".

With regard to polish; try Zaino Brothers Polish. The stuff is incredible and each application of polish "burns into" the next coat and gives the paint an incredible depth and gloss.

Waxing the finish really does not provide any additional protection or benefit as wax is really intended to "feed" lacquer based paints and clear coats of which no modern factory paint finishes contain.

The paints and clear coats used today are urethane based and have allot of "flex agents" in there base of which lacquer does not contain. That is one of the reasons why lacquer while beautiful, has a tendancy to "spider web and crack" over time and exposure.

If you ever have a custom paint job done where lacquer is used; you'll absolutely have to finish with wax after polishing the car.

You would just want to make sure that on any lacquer based paint or clear coat; any polish or wax that you use DOES NOT contain any petroleum based distillates as it will literally burn through the lacquer clear coat and the paint.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Don't have any fishing line? Try Dental floss like Glide ribbon floss. I also used my wife's hair dryer. I also used "Goo Gone" to remove the residual adhesive. You can find that at most grocery or department stores.

·
Registered
08 Platinum Escalade, 08 CTS, 01 TransAm WS6, 07 SolsticeGXP
478 Posts
Great info, guys!

I put a Cadillac Script on my driver's door, and unfortunately, I didn't put it on straight!! :(

So now I have to take it off!

I am 95% sure it will crack... so I bought another script on ebay! :)

I think I'll wait until after the winter to do it..!

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Good info! I'm removing all three (3) from mine....Going to black chrome them...Any tips on what to use to stick 'em back on???

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
pjohnesq said:
Good info! I'm removing all three (3) from mine....Going to black chrome them...Any tips on what to use to stick 'em back on???
3M makes a product called (get this) "Emblem Adhesive". I got mine at Advanced Auto Parts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
:bouncy:
pjohnesq said:
Do you thinkit would work for...say...emblems??

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
BYNSL4U said:
:bouncy:

Do you thinkit would work for...say...emblems??
If the black chrome would work for emblems??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts