Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Cadillac SRX Performance
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 20" chrome-tec wheels on my SRX. Recently for the first time I've seen replacement covers for the 20-inchers for sale on eBay, under $200 for a set of 4. At this price I'm tempted, because three of mine are toast after 5 years. But the big question is: has anyone ever successfully removed their original cladding from the aluminum wheels? Is it glue? How does one go about this, and can it be done without ruining the underlying wheel? I was sure I'd find a YouTube video on this, but no luck. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

·
Registered
2017 Premium Luxury/ Stellar Black Metallic & Sahara Beige/Jet Black
297 Posts
I bought the set five months ago. I went to Harbor Freight and bought some plastic crowbars. I'm going to try to take it apart in the next couple weeks. I have the same questions that you had bout the glue. I have not found much information on DYI.

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,736 Posts
I am very interested in this - please keep us posted. ^^

·
Registered
2014 SRX Performance, 2013 CTS-V
501 Posts
If they are held on only by some type of adhesion, you might try a heat gun or hair dryer. When it starts to feel like it is coming loose use a piece of nylon fishing line to hacksaw b/t the wheel and the plastic pieces.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally found someone on another forum who has done this: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/18-chrome-clad-wheel-cover-removal.251386/

He didn't replace his, but refinished his wheels. As far as how the new ones mount, I Figured I'd use a urethane construction adhesive like Liquid Nails. Any other thoughts?

I dug under one of my damaged wheels this morning with a screwdriver and loosened one small portion. I retrieved a bit of the old adhesive, which has the consistency of a urethane foam sealant. Haven't experimented yet with any solvents.

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance FWD
1,599 Posts
Reason I ask is because GM and the dealer swears my wheels are making popping noises due to the glue. I am not convinced because I've never heard the fronts make a peep, either on the originals or the replacement wheels. Oh and I've been told it's normal for two month old wheels to make popping noises. Thanks GM for your junk wheels. I'll be looking elsewhere for our next suv.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
SRX
141 Posts
Very interesting. I would love to see the results. I even heard the service manager call it a "hub cap," which I don't disagree with at all.

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance FWD
1,599 Posts
Very interesting. I would love to see the results. I even heard the service manager call it a "hub cap," which I don't disagree with at all.
LOL, yes a hubcap on the most expensive wheel GM offered on the SRX, makes no sense! Well, for GM profits it does!

Here is my thread about these crap wheels and their popping noises, complete with multiple videos: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/608506-wheels-popping-something-else-2.html

·
Registered
SRX
141 Posts
Unfortunately, as long as they can continue to fool people with this $1000 option, this trend will continue. Lesson learned for me.

·
0 Posts
I have the 20" chrome-tec wheels on my SRX. Recently for the first time I've seen replacement covers for the 20-inchers for sale on eBay, under $200 for a set of 4. At this price I'm tempted, because three of mine are toast after 5 years. But the big question is: has anyone ever successfully removed their original cladding from the aluminum wheels? Is it glue? How does one go about this, and can it be done without ruining the underlying wheel? I was sure I'd find a YouTube video on this, but no luck. Thanks in advance for the feedback.
They are skins they go over your original wheel cover looks like 3M Tape hold them on. I have seen damaged chrome tech in salvage yard no could you remove them from rim. The foam glue is very strong

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I took the plunge last night. Covers should be here from China in a couple weeks. I'll keep you posted and take pics of my adventure in hubcaps.

·
Registered
2012 SRX
6 Posts
Hi,
I don't know it the ones on eBay are the same as the ones I bought, my 2012 SRX just had the aluminum wheels, 18", and I bought covers from BiggDaddyCaddy online for around $250 and they look great!
They just snap on and you cannot tell they are not chrome wheels unless you get right down there and check them out. They have been on for about a year now and no problems at all.
Good luck, Eldon
wheels3.JPG

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My wheels are the 20". I've been aware that you could get replacements for the 18" chrome covers, but the ones on ebay were the first I'd ever seen for the 20". Anyway, they arrived today! They were well packed, each in its own soft cloth sleeve. No damage to any, and they look very well made. They are definitely NOT skins that slip over the existing chrome cladding. I will indeed need to pull off the original covers to install these. Maybe I'll get around to trying one tomorrow. I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
2017 Premium Luxury/ Stellar Black Metallic & Sahara Beige/Jet Black
297 Posts
I bought a set of 20" new clad wheel covers off eBay this winter. I have been trying to find out more about the foam adhesive that was used to clue them on. I posted pictures here of them a while back. They have been sitting in garage for months now.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts