Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
XLR
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there would be a problem with removing the catalytic converters fromt he car, Mainly computer/ECM type issues. Do our XLR's come with O2 sensors before and after the Cat's? If not, then i cannot see taking out the cat's as a potential problem.

I live in Alberta and we have no emmisions laws, and sometimes mine start smelling like rotten eggs, so if i can rip them out, i would happily put in a custom exhaust.

Adrian Karolko

·
Registered
2007 XLR & 2015 XTS
100 Posts
The xlr does have o2 sensors front and back of the converter. There are some nice exhaust systems available for the xlr for plus or minus $1500.

·
Registered
Modified 06 XLR-V
175 Posts
I was wondering if there would be a problem with removing the catalytic converters fromt he car, Mainly computer/ECM type issues. Do our XLR's come with O2 sensors before and after the Cat's? If not, then i cannot see taking out the cat's as a potential problem.

I live in Alberta and we have no emmisions laws, and sometimes mine start smelling like rotten eggs, so if i can rip them out, i would happily put in a custom exhaust.

Adrian Karolko
The exhaust manifold and cats are one assembly - so you'd have to remove them to cut them and then try to build something to replace the cats... since they are cast iron I think that would take some work.

Perhaps you can get D3 to make you some headers that do not have cats...

As for the ECM - you can remove the rear O2 sensors and disable to the trouble code for them when you get a re-tune for it.

What you're trying to do is not going to be cheap... but good luck. :)

·
Registered
XLR
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man i hate this car. Everything that should be done performance wise is like pulling teeth. I guess i am going to leave this thing along, let me my mom drive the thing, keep my hair, and buy a ZR1.

Thanks for the info guys,

Adrian

·
Registered
Modified 06 XLR-V
175 Posts
I don't understand why you're frustrated... everything on my XLR-V was bolt-on and I did it in my own garage... :bouncy:

·
The Last Good Gremlin
06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)
2,654 Posts
I don't understand why you're frustrated... everything on my XLR-V was bolt-on and I did it in my own garage... :bouncy:
And a knowledgeable tuner can disable the rear O2 sensors, remove the speed limiter, change the shift points, etc., in no time - thanks Jesse.

Why don't you just find a reputable muffler shop, have them drop the front of the cat-back and ream out the insides of the cats with them still on the vehicle.

·
Registered
2008 sts, 1995 Brougham V4P
235 Posts

Adrian Karolko
Provincially we don't have auto emission standards, however there are federal regulaions. I would certainly like to know which 'reputable muffler shops would deliberately disable/destroy these systems"

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Not sure of the name of these muffler shops, but return address for some of their personnel is something like Leavinworth, Kansas. 66048. Certainly, Quebec zip will be different.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts