Cadillac Owners Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

· Premium Member
2000 DHS
2,139 Posts
I had amazing luck with the 3m extreme double sided mount tape.

You don't need to make surgical cuts. Clean, wipe with 99% isopropyl alcohol, quick scuff with 80g sand paper or a red scotch brite and rewipe with alcohol and stick away. For the car side, make sure the wax is removed, alcohol wipe and stick it.

Sticks well and all materials are available at Ace hardware, Abu Dhabi. If we can get them here, I'm willing to bet you can stateside also.

If you would like a demonstration of the tape, the bare minimum of how to apply it and seeing it in action, click here.

-Byron
Yea, nobody said it’s hard to find the proper tape. You can pick it up at your local Orrellys, it sticks more than fine..

As far as that video, I can’t believe I actually sat through the entire thing.. I want 15min. of my life back. Lol

All jokes aside, what he did there is what’s known as a “hack job”. I’m a professional detailer and there’s no way that sort of technique & results would fly. Notice towards the end he said he’d have to take a razor blade to get the rest of it all off. Would you take a razor blade to perfect paint on a perfect car? Not a chance.

As far as not needing to make surgical cuts? Ok, here’s a fairly easy 1, right?

If this isn’t surgical, then maybe your expectations aren’t high enough?

Ok Mr. Exacto Knife, lets see how perfect you can get it.

Because when it comes to emblems, especially script...

It better be Perfect. Surgical. OEM

I’ve debadged & re badged plenty of emblems on plenty of cars, and I don’t do hack jobs. I’m not saying you do, but there’s the right way, and the hard way.

If given the choice, do yourself a favor and buy the emblems that come ready to use. Not only will they look better and in most cases be brand new, but the tape job will be perfect.

· Registered
2006 CTS-V
529 Posts
Glad you enjoyed my video. I did state it was the bare minimum.

It's far from a "hack job" I simply ran out of light. I've done plenty of emblems, always with good results. That happened to be the first roof trim I've had to do. And it still looks perfect, lays flat and hasn't moved. Between school, work, parenting and other things I don't get a lot of time to get stuff done. Living overseas doesn't help the schedule any.

As for trimming with good light and using a scalpel, it worked very well. The proper adhesion was reached and the trim is still perfect 2 years later. The car isn't painted, it's wrapped, so I'm not particularly concerned about scratching it. As for detailing, I do that too, though I am far from a professional.

All the emblems on the car, and around the car are perfectly placed, by myself and will be again when the paint on the car is complete. The pictured emblem is the one I removed to powder coat the grill, changed the insert, and reinstalled perfectly. The paint correction was done by me also, the photo was taken at the UAE national day, 2017 a short time before I got the car wrapped.

I would describe that as trimming, not surgical cuts.

I at least posted something with some substance vs simply bumping a 16 year old thread to flex, dropping zero knowledge and then choosing to get insulting.

Get over yourself.

-Byron

· Premium Member
2000 DHS
2,139 Posts

It's far from a "hack job" I simply ran out of light. I've done plenty of emblems, always with good results. That happened to be the first roof trim I've had to do. And it still looks perfect, lays flat and hasn't moved. Between school, work, parenting and other things I don't get a lot of time to get stuff done. Living overseas doesn't help the schedule any.

As for trimming with good light and using a scalpel, it worked very well. The proper adhesion was reached and the trim is still perfect 2 years later. The car isn't painted, it's wrapped, so I'm not particularly concerned about scratching it. As for detailing, I do that too, though I am far from a professional.

View attachment 596085

All the emblems on the car, and around the car are perfectly placed, by myself and will be again when the paint on the car is complete. The pictured emblem is the one I removed to powder coat the grill, changed the insert, and reinstalled perfectly. The paint correction was done by me also, the photo was taken at the UAE national day, 2017 a short time before I got the car wrapped.

I at least posted something with some substance vs simply bumping a 16 year old thread to flex, dropping zero knowledge and then choosing to get insulting.

Get over yourself.

-Byron
I had no idea that was you in the video.. I apologize and didn’t mean to personally insult you.

What I said wasn’t intended as a harsh insult at all, but the fact that it turns out to be your video changes everything. I honestly didn’t know and feel bad about coming off the wrong way.

· Super Moderator
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
4,516 Posts

View attachment 596085

Get over yourself.

-Byron
Based on the video 'alone', I too would not have thought of that as a professional job, but the end result is always more important the method employed, and we did not really get to see the end result, which you say is good which is what is important.

Awesome shine job!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.