Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During a recent waxing I accidentally got the polishing cloth under one of the side V badges and bent it slightly away from the body. Nobody else seems to see it, even when I point it out, but its driving me nuts. I want to detach the badge, straighten it, then reapply. I am wondering what to use to remove it and then what adhesive to use to reattach it.

Anyone know the solvent and adhesive I should use?

thx in advance

· Registered
1,138 Posts
I would recommend a heat gun...which you probably don't have, so grab your wife's/girlfriends hair dryer. Get it warm, moving it around(the heat gun), and not concentrating on one spot. Grab something non-abrasive that will be able to catch the lip of your emblem, but hard enough so that when you apply pressure your tool(whatever you use, maybe a popsicle stick) won't break. Now that you have one side of the emblem coming up, take your time, as you don't want to bend your emblems.....re-apply some heat to make sure it's warm enough to melt the adhesive,....then again, apply pressure and slowly remove your emblem.

Use maybe lighter fluid, or something that will not damage your paint, like maybe a sap or tar remover(I have products here but, I don't think they are available to the public). Wipe away any leftover adhesive,.....bam your done.

If I were you, before you start, take maskeing tape, and make a border around your emblem,....taht way you won't have to measure and or quess were your emblem goes.

Hope this makes sense.

Jamie

· Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,037 Posts
The Helm manual lists a special GM tool, but it's essentially a hair drier. You heat the area, holding the drier about 8" away, but not too hot. You only want to soften the 3M tape adhesive, not bubble the paint. If you go slow and keep checking, you should be fine, especially if it's already hanging. Others have found it simpler to use fishing line or dentil floss between the fender and the emblem to cut the tape foam. You have to clean up the remaining tape and adhesive with some bug/tar remover (or maybe WD40). Most autoparts stores will have the tape in a roll. You'll have to trim it around the emblem so you can't see it from the front before you apply it. Make sure you get the exact location before you remove it so you get it back on straight (mark it with masking tape before you pull it off?).

Edit: Dooh, Tech you beat me to it while I was typing! LOL

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I already thought about using a wax pen to mark the exact outline. But then the heatgun may melt the wax marks? Masking tape it is.

Thanks guys.

3M tape to reattach the badge, huh? Just generic old 3M double sided tape or is there a specific type I should pick up. Assuming NAPA or some such carries it.

· Registered
1,138 Posts
Parker said:
use the blow dryer for sure, but you can also use fishing line or floss to pull the emblem off. Hey tech, thats a great idea about finding the location of the badges, to put tape around it.

Yeah,...thanks man, I kinda learned from a mistake....

· Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,037 Posts
Mowgli said:
3M tape to reattach the badge, huh? Just generic old 3M double sided tape or is there a specific type I should pick up. Assuming NAPA or some such carries it.
I don't think it's generic 3M tape. It's specifically for emblems. I think the foam is more dense (almost like rubber). There was a post on the CTS forum a few months back with the specific name.

· Registered
296 Posts
no tape will EVEr be the same... you are better off buying a new emblem with tape on it... your emblem will fall off soon after you wash your car or it rains... not even 3M works well with emblems...

as for removing it.. no real need to heat it... its not a sticker... grab a credit card or soomething of less value and same structure (blockbuster or librabry card - who needs that anyway)... slide it under a corner and see saw it back and forth.. it will NOT scratch your paint... it will cut through the rubber tape... as you make progress hold up the corner you started at with your finger and keep going... thicker parst are obviously harder to get through... then use GOO-GONE to remove glue... also use GOO GONE when you reapply the new (or existing badge)... GOO GONE is a wax / grease remover... works wonders.. so yea.. good luck with that...

· Registered
1,138 Posts
1gCtsV05 said:
no tape will EVEr be the same... you are better off buying a new emblem with tape on it... your emblem will fall off soon after you wash your car or it rains... not even 3M works well with emblems...

as for removing it.. no real need to heat it... its not a sticker... grab a credit card or soomething of less value and same structure (blockbuster or librabry card - who needs that anyway)... slide it under a corner and see saw it back and forth.. it will NOT scratch your paint... it will cut through the rubber tape... as you make progress hold up the corner you started at with your finger and keep going... thicker parst are obviously harder to get through... then use GOO-GONE to remove glue... also use GOO GONE when you reapply the new (or existing badge)... GOO GONE is a wax / grease remover... works wonders.. so yea.. good luck with that...
Actually, we use adhesive promoter...and we never have a problem...

· Registered
04 CTS V (Then). 07 STS-V (Next), 11 CTS-V (Now)
370 Posts
I removed all my V badges using a puddy knife wrapped with a good cotton cloth (diaper) and a blow dryer...

Run the blow dryer over one corner and after about 30 seconds start the putty knife slowely lifting the badge. Once you get it started, it comes right off.

I would agree with the person who suggested you just buy a new badge from GM and put it on. Long time ago, I used 3M double sided tape (from a body shop) and the badges came off. Where, I will never know..

· Banned
2009 SRX V6 RWD, 2011 CTS Premium Coupe
806 Posts
I removed all my V badges using a puddy knife wrapped with a good cotton cloth (diaper) and a blow dryer...

Run the blow dryer over one corner and after about 30 seconds start the putty knife slowely lifting the badge. Once you get it started, it comes right off.

I would agree with the person who suggested you just buy a new badge from GM and put it on. Long time ago, I used 3M double sided tape (from a body shop) and the badges came off. Where, I will never know..
Regular double sided tape is garbage, despite claims on other threads in these forums. The emblems stand away from the metal and get farther away when everything heats up. (I'm in Florida. Temperatures below 50 are almost never an issue.) Now that I've discovered the proper tape is available, I need to get some for my door sill plate.

· Premium Member
2000 DHS
2,139 Posts
Keep things simple for yourself and buy emblems that have the proper double sided adhesive pre attached.

Sure you can buy a roll of the proper 3M double sided automotive emblem tape, but then you have to make the surgical cuts along and around the emblems.. Good luck trying that on a Cadillac wreath or script.

I leave it up to the seller because that’s why they have machines to do it. I’ll be installing this Northstar badge on my Deville today.

· Registered
2006 CTS-V
529 Posts
I had amazing luck with the 3m extreme double sided mount tape.

Living in the middle east, the heat doesn't expand the emblem away from the car at all, not does it break adhesion if you do everything the right way and prep is the key. If it stays permanently on my car at 120+ and 80% humidity + for months at at time, it will stick on your car in a cool county perfectly.

You don't need to make surgical cuts. Clean, wipe with 99% isopropyl alcohol, quick scuff with 80g sand paper or a red scotch brite and rewipe with alcohol and stick away. For the car side, make sure the wax is removed, alcohol wipe and stick it.

Sticks well and all materials are available at Ace hardware, Abu Dhabi. If we can get them here, I'm willing to bet you can stateside also.

If you are going to bump a zombie thread, bump it will good info like a part number for the adhesive you are talking about.

If you would like a demonstration of the tape, the bare minimum of how to apply it and seeing it in action, click here.

-Byron

· Super Moderator
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
4,516 Posts
Keep things simple for yourself and buy emblems that have the proper double sided adhesive pre attached.

Sure you can buy a roll of the proper 3M double sided automotive emblem tape, but then you have to make the surgical cuts along and around the emblems.. Good luck trying that on a Cadillac wreath or script.

I leave it up to the seller because that’s why they have machines to do it. I’ll be installing this Northstar badge on my Deville today.

I've applied 3m tape to the wreath and crest and like you say - it is a pain to get right, and is much easier to buy one from the factory with the tape on it which is also more thin than the 3m ones that are bought in the store.

· Super Moderator
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
4,516 Posts
Reading what others have wrote here, and based on my experience as to what worked is I bought one of the most thin ones made by 3m, but my garage guy had sheets of really thin stuff that also sticks very well. The key is to prep the surface properly ie. cleaned with water to take off any dirt, and then IPA to take off wax and oils. No need to sand anything. Also wait until the temps are warmer, or the emblem and surface will have to be heated up with a heat gun (being careful not to damage the paint by getting the gun to close or too long and overheating it).
One thing to note is to get it aligned up right the first time before putting the emblem on because the tape sticks easily and securely and you do not want to have to be trying to get it off and damaging the tape. There is a set time for the tape that one should wait until passed before the car is washed or rained on. If done properly that thing will stay on forever and a day...until you have reason to remove it by use of a heat gun, fishing line, and IPA to remove any residue - careful not to rub hard or clearcoat damage can result. Also, IPA is not to be used on lacquer based paint finishes because it will dissolve the finish.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.