Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Y
Years ago, I sold a late '80s Cadillac to a chap, and weeks later he calls me late at night saying the engine locked . REALLY pissed. At about midnight I greet the rollback driver with the piece in tow. Turns out the smog pump locked up and holy hell ensued with smoking belts ,etc. You get the picture. Bottom line was I removed the pump and replaced a belt that took up the slack. Guy was happy; end of story.
Well now I'm about to replace the A/C compressor on my '89 eldo, and that smog pump is one of the items that has to be removed to get to the compressor. I'm also thinking of removing the smog pump permanently plus all the plumbing, but I forget how I did it for the aforementioned car.
Any tips to watch out for? Not sure if it'll set a code, being OB1.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,737 Posts
The newer smog pumps heat up the converter allowing it to go to closed loop quicker. That affects overall MPG. A quicker warm up, engine and converter get better overall efficiency. I believe, yes, you'll set a code for either an Oxy. sensor or a rich running code. A lot of work and research for a marginal, if any, improvement. IMO. And why would you be responsible for someone else's car weeks after purchase?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts