Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T AWD, 2016 SRX AWD
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new 2014 ATS 2.0T AWD Standard in November 2014 with the OEM remote start.

The RemoteLink App recently (last few weeks) had an update for Android, but I still don't have a remote start button (only lock/unlock, horn & lights, stop horn & lights).

Does anyone have remote start on their version of the app? Maybe iOS does, Android doesn't? Maybe they are only rolling it out for 2015 models?

----------

I post a question to a forum, then realize I should really just call On Star to get the answer...

My ATS did not come with the OEM factory installed. We selected the car and had the dealer install remote start before we purchased it. On Star customer care tells me that since the remote start wasn't installed at the factory, they can't tap into the remote start, and therefore the app won't ever be able to perform that function. So dealer install of OEM remote start is the same as having some other brand aftermarket remote start - just not compatible with the app.

This is a bummer. I'm a heavy user of remote start and here in the northeast, it'd be great if I could use the app when I'm leaving my desk at work rather than having to wait until I'm 30 seconds away.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6L
264 Posts
I have a 2013 ATS AWD which came with factory remote start, but I frequently use the OnStar app to start my car when I'm at work. I updated my Android app to the latest version (major UI overhaul, etc) a week or so ago, and everything is working normally (remote start button still there, etc).

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help debug.

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,681 Posts
I suspect the app uses information from GM for the VIN to decide on presenting a remote start button. The solution is to somehow get OnStar (or GM if OnStar gets the info from a GM server) to update the information to show the car had remote start added after the fact. Good luck with that if there isn't already a procedure in place for them to do it.

·
Registered
2020 XT4
98 Posts
I have a 2015 which came with remote start and it works great with the OnStar mobile app.

Have you tried talking to OnStar? If you are paying for the service, might as well use it. I would think they should be able to enable it since you have the OEM remote start.

·
Registered
ATS 2.0T AWD
340 Posts
The dealer did not install an OEM remote start, simple as that. Had they have or had the car came with it from the factory then your onstar remote app would work. Since they did aftermarket it will not work. If they told you it was OEM then I'd go knocking on their down and see what they want to do about it since the dealer installing an after market product in no way makes it OEM.

·
Registered
'13 ATS4 2.0T, Gone but will be missed, '13 SRX4 Performance
473 Posts
The dealer did not install an OEM remote start, simple as that. Had they have or had the car came with it from the factory then your onstar remote app would work. Since they did aftermarket it will not work. If they told you it was OEM then I'd go knocking on their down and see what they want to do about it since the dealer installing an after market product in no way makes it OEM.
My remote starter was dealer installed. It had a GM part number on the packaging and came with GM remotes. I can't use the app to start my car. Onstar said the remote link is tied to the vin and they can't add that feature.

·
Registered
ATS 2.0T AWD
340 Posts
My remote starter was dealer installed. It had a GM part number on the packaging and came with GM remotes. I can't use the app to start my car. Onstar said the remote link is tied to the vin and they can't add that feature.
Dealer has to install long range remote start. I can't remember if it is a module that has to be changed or what, but it's possible

----------

I stand corrected! - Maybe, depending on your build, if you have RPO AP8 then you can add it in. I have factory remote start and it is RPO BTV, so I'm thinking if you have the AP8 RPO you should be able to add accessory remote start and have onstar work based on this bulletin.

#PI0360E: Accessory Remote Start Does Not Work with OnStar® RemoteLink™ Phone Application - (Jan 12, 2015)
Subject: Accessory Remote Start Does Not Work with OnStar RemoteLink™ Phone Application

Models: 2015 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks
Excluding Vehicles Equipped with Remote Ready Start Package (RPO AP8)
This PI has been revised to update the Models information. Please discard PI0360D.

Condition/Concern
Some customers may comment that the accessory remote start will not work with the OnStar® RemoteLink phone application.

The vehicle information contained in the OnStar database does not reflect information added to a vehicle after it was produced at the assembly plant.

Recommendation/Instructions
Do not replace any components of the remote start accessory or the BCM. The OnStar Remote Start phone app does not function with the GM Accessory Remote Start.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there a link to a site that I can look up my build info?

Vin: 1G6AG5RXXE0195192

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good news all.
TLDR: Today, OnStar updated their database to reflect that my car does have a remote start installed, and now the Remote Start button on the app works!

Again, I bought a '14 ATS and had the GM remote start installed at the dealership. I was told before that because the ATS left the factory without remote start installed, OnStar had no way of "seeing" that my car had since been equipped. You can see ikireland's post above which references a bulletin saying as much.

The other day I was in the Google Play store and noticed that GM Social Media had responded to my rating of the OnStar app (in which I described my problem) and suggested I call OnStar help. I did this expecting the same result, but after a few days, I got the call saying they've updated their database to reflect this info.

For me, this is a big help - when I leave my desk at work, I take two elevators to get to the basement parking garage. It's only then, when I am within 100 yards of the car that I can remote start. Now, I will hit the button and the car will be warm and ready when I reach the basement.

I suggest anyone who had the "official" remote start installed at the dealer to give OnStar a call.

·
Registered
'16 CTS V-Sport Black/'16 CTS Luxury w/V-Sport Pkg White
5,784 Posts
it is OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) it was just not factory installed...it was dealer installed

----------

Good news all.
TLDR: Today, OnStar updated their database to reflect that my car does have a remote start installed, and now the Remote Start button on the app works!

Again, I bought a '14 ATS and had the GM remote start installed at the dealership. I was told before that because the ATS left the factory without remote start installed, OnStar had no way of "seeing" that my car had since been equipped. You can see ikireland's post above which references a bulletin saying as much.

The other day I was in the Google Play store and noticed that GM Social Media had responded to my rating of the OnStar app (in which I described my problem) and suggested I call OnStar help. I did this expecting the same result, but after a few days, I got the call saying they've updated their database to reflect this info.

For me, this is a big help - when I leave my desk at work, I take two elevators to get to the basement parking garage. It's only then, when I am within 100 yards of the car that I can remote start. Now, I will hit the button and the car will be warm and ready when I reach the basement.

I suggest anyone who had the "official" remote start installed at the dealer to give OnStar a call.
that is great news...when this came to light in 2013 i have not ordered a Standard trim ATS without remote start since, i didn't want our customers to have the same dissapointment i did .... good to know things improved

·
Registered
2013 ATS Premium 3.6, 1989 Allanté
4,513 Posts
what is the minimum onstar plan required for the keyfob setting of the remote link app to work? This is a very useful feature to me especially right now when its colder. We can not park our vehicles close to the entrance to our job. we park further than remote range and id like to start the car a few minutes before i walk out of the door.

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
i just saw this after digging around the link you posted

"New! The OnStar Basic Plan now comes standard on 2014 model year and newer Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac vehicles for five years from the date of new vehicle delivery. Plus, it is available to owners of eligible pre-owned, 2011 model year or newer vehicles for three years.You’ve got a powerful connection to your vehicle and the world around you with OnStar Basic Plan1. You’ll have access to limited OnStar services, including select features of the OnStar RemoteLink®mobile app2 that lets you remotely start your car (if factory installed), send a destination to your in-vehicle navigation screen, and lock or unlock your doors — all from your smartphone. You’ll also receive Advanced Diagnostics to help monitor your vehicle’s health and simplify maintenance scheduling. And, if your vehicle is equipped with OnStar 4G LTE3 and a Wi-Fi hotspot4, you’ll have access to a built-in, reliable Internet connection so you can stay connected on up to seven mobile devices."

·
Registered
2014 CTS 3.6 Premium, 1999 Corvette,370 RWHP & other mods
1,148 Posts
Yeah, for me since my CTS was 6 mos old and had 6000 miles on it when I bought it, the free Onstar went for only 1 yr and I had to buy a plan last summer. If you don't have the app then Onstar will email you diagnostics once a month. I've also heard that if you have a check engine, you can call Onstar and they'll read you off the codes that caused it. I've never used the maintenance scheduling as my dealer will provide a first come first served option and I take my car in arriving a little before they roll up their doors in the morning and they jump right on it. I've been using the app for quite a while and it's very handy.

The Safety plan offers stolen vehicle assistance and theft alarm notification. As my garage is reserved for my toys, this was important to me, just in case.

Bill

·
Registered
2019 XT4 Premium AWD Build 7/22/18 / 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium Build 12/21/2012
1,622 Posts
Remote link comes with the Basic plan. All basic is maintenance reminders and monthly diagnostic emails. I rcvd an email from OnStar offering me free basic for 3 years. Push the blue OnStar button and ask, They gave some good phone min plans as well 300 min for $10 or 60 min for $5.

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
Sweet. Right now I have the full package free for 5 months (3months for buying used and then the rep offered me 2 more months free). But I really am not going to use any of it other than the keyfob

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
They are giving basic for free because if you accept you are giving them permission to scan you car and get you in for maintenance. They can also monitor your driving habits which could possibly (I doubt) be used against you if filing a warranty claim. They do offer to provide your driving information to your insurance company if you wish to try and get a discount.

Is Remote Link and a monthly email worth the access you are authorizing?????

·
Registered
2014 CTS 3.6 Premium, 1999 Corvette,370 RWHP & other mods
1,148 Posts
They are giving it to you for free as a perk and they hope to retain you as a customer in the future and make some money. Monitor your driving habits? Really...that seems like a time consuming and costly exercise collecting the data and storing it. If really true, then there's no reason they couldn't do it even if you weren't a subscriber. The technology is there already and they could still access the data as easily as they activate the other things Onstar does when you do say "Sign me up". Sounds more like a little too much big brother paranoia to me, but who knows?

Bill

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
No paranoia on my part I signed up but for some folks it is a big deal which is why I mention it. Not sure of their strategy but offering it for free for 3 years seems like a long time before return on investment which is why I believe its the user agreement item 17 below they are looking for. That said the 3 free months of full service they gave me with it is definitely trying to get me to keep the pay plan. The monitoring driving habits is a service they offer which can be released to your insurance company to try to get the low mileage/safe driving habit discounts. The point there being they are capable of collecting it and without the user agreement I do not think they can.

The Truth is out there..I have to go, I think I'm being followed.

17.Software Updates; Suspension or Removal of the Services. You consent to OnStar and your vehicle manufacturer accessing the systems associated with your Connected Device and your vehicle (the “Systems”) for the following purposes:

Software Updates. Your Systems involve software that OnStar or your vehicle manufacturer makes available to You (“Software”). The Software is licensed, not sold to You, and may need to be updated or changed from time to time. You agree that either OnStar or your vehicle manufacturer may remotely deliver Software updates or changes to your vehicle without any further notice or consent. For example, these updates or changes may enhance safety or security, or may maintain the proper operation of your vehicle. These Software updates or changes may affect or erase data that You have stored in your vehicle (such as OnStar hands free calling name tags, saved navigation destinations, or pre-set radio stations). We are not responsible for any affected or erased data due to a Software update or change.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts