Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hooking up my amp and I've got it all done, except the power seems to want to stay on constantly. I've tried running the remote wire to the fuel pump fuse, audio fuse, and the amp fuse all to the same avail.

Any ideas where to run it to for power only when the car is started? Preferrably under the rear seat...

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like an on/off switch? I'd really just be happy if it were on all times.. it's just that it's wanting to stay on constantly even with the key off.

I may need to play with it a little more, just was kinda rushing since it's getting dark out.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
then tap into the amp fuse
but your gonna kill your battery
do as you please though
I'm just kinda going off of what I did on my Escalade. On my Escalade I was able to tap into the fuel pump fuse and the amp powered on when I turned the key over. I'm not looking for a constant signal. Never killed the battery in the lade.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went out with a test light this morning to test the rear fuse panel. Every fuse I tried was hot except for ignition 1 (ign1). Tied into that and now the amp only comes on when the key is turned over. I am gonna search for a switched wire in the meantime though. Hopefully this helps someone who doesn't want to wire in an on/off switch.

·
Registered
2000 STS RHD 194,150 miles. what's a speed limiter???
219 Posts
this seems to be a very overlooked problem and i found a very easy answer.
looking at the wiring diagrams in the FSM i noticed that my bose head unit had a power aerial feed. i followed the diagram and discovered that my car was fitted with a power booster for the aerials that are fitted into the front and rear screens.
the booster is located centrally under the headlining above the rear screen. the SWITCHABLE power feed is a white cable, the power for the booster i believe is red and the aerial cable is thick black. these 3 cables are run on their own.
they run round the edge of the headling and down the drivers side centre pillar.
i removed the trim for the centre pillar, located the cable and tapped into it. i did this near the bottom of the pillar then ran the feed under the trim along the bottom of the rear door, under the seat and into the trunk.
the amp is now fully switched via the head unit.
there were some queries asking if the amp would switch off when the cd or tape was played but it didn't affect the amp. my STS has 'emergency broadcast' overide, so i assume that something inside the headunit listens to the radio all the time.
i posted my find in the section that covers stereo systems.
no one was able to answer my original query so i found the answer myself.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-audio-video-security-systems/89166-remote-power-extra-amp.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts