Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 STS & 2009 SRX
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2003 Deville. I would like to have the dealer install remote starting. Does anyone have opinions on aftermarket remote starting being installed? Are there major risks that I should have concern? Am I in for electrical problems.?

Thx,

Peter

·
Registered
2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
3,723 Posts
Just make sure it's a good system, and installed correctly so you don't have other electrical problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Also, you'll may end up carrying 2 fobs if you car has memory seats. The aftermarket remote start systems can not replace the factory keyless entry fobs if you have the memory option. At least that's what I was told when I looked into remote start on my 2003. If anyone has any other info please let me know :) .

Tom

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk
3,963 Posts
TLeTourneau said:
Also, you'll may end up carrying 2 fobs if you car has memory seats. The aftermarket remote start systems can not replace the factory keyless entry fobs if you have the memory option. At least that's what I was told when I looked into remote start on my 2003. If anyone has any other info please let me know :) .

Tom
Actually they have interfaces that take care of that now. You can use the fob for the remote starter to do all of things your #1 factory fob does (plus a lot more). I just bought a 'databus/bypass module' to work in conjunction with a Code remote starter. I haven't installed it yet, but here's what it claims it does:

- bypasses the PK3 system for remote starting purposes (no key required; learns the transponder password)
- controls doorlocks maintaining the one-push driver, two-push all locks functionality
- controls OEM alarm with the door lock/unlock commands
- trunk release
- activates rear window defroster
- recalls all memory settings for Driver #1
- provides parking light confirmation of remote start or alarm commands
- activates heated seats
- activates heated mirrors
- automatically shuts down RAP at the end of a remote start cycle
- provides door trigger out for aftermarket alarm systems

It's a Crimestopper GM SL. Go to www.crimestopper.com and click on the TechWeb link, then click on Databus to select your year, make and model. It will give you a list of the compatible modules. The GM SL has the most features.

It looks pretty straightforward to install. It communicates through the vehicle's databus by tapping into the OBDII connector feed. The only 'hard wiring' is to the databus and for the starting functions (ignition and PK3 bypass).

It was only $50, which is cheap when you consider how much wiring and time it saves you.

Before I became aware of the GM SL I had originally bought Crimestopper's GMDL2, which is a pared down version of the GM SL. It doesn't have the PK3 bypass built in, and doesn't do the heated seats/mirrors/defog. It does everything else though (memory for Driver #1, trunk release, door locks, etc.). I'm going to throw it on eBay along with the separate PK3 bypass module that I was going to use. I wish I had seen the GM SL first!

Jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello Jim,

Is this an add-on to interface with a remote start/security system? If so what brands of RS/SS work with it? If it does everything it says it does - COOL!

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk
3,963 Posts
TLeTourneau said:
Hello Jim,

Is this an add-on to interface with a remote start/security system? If so what brands of RS/SS work with it? If it does everything it says it does - COOL!

Thanks,

Tom
It's a universal module, so it should work with any brand remote starter or alarm system. For example, most remote starters have a door lock/unlock feature. Instead of hardwiring that function from the remote starter to your door locks you wire it to the lock input on the module. The module then communicates with the databus to take care of the more elaborate functions (memory seats, driver priority unlock, etc.). Ditto with the rest of the universal functions of most remote starters (parking light confirmation, trunk release, etc.).

The only downside to the heated seats appears to be that they only activate if the car's computer indicates that the temp is below 0 degrees which is pretty cold. I hope that's celsius, but I don't think it is. I'm probably going to wire up the heated seat function directly from one of the optional relays on my Code remote starter. It's pretty easy (one wire), but you need to get into the door panel to do it.

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts