Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It took 3 times as long as I had hoped, but then so does everything I set out to do.

It was really tedious but just slowly following the directions go the job done. It's a Code CA-530. It got the 530 because it has a couple of optional onboard relays so you can turn stuff on with the key fob (like the heated seats). I didn't wire them up, though, because the interface module I got (Crimestopper GM SL) says it will turn the heated seats, mirrors and rear window defog on if it's below 0 degrees celsius outside. The temp sensor hasn't indicated it's that cold out yet so I don't know if that feature works.

I get a SERVICE THEFT DETERRENT SYS" message when I remote-start the car. The instructions for the bypass module said something about tapping into the theft deterrent module if you get an error but I didn't do that yet. It still works so I may not mess with it.

I left all the wires hanging down (and man are there a lot of wires) because the LED for the CA-530 isn't working. Without that I can't program the features (like the tach programming). I'm going to call them tomorrow to see what's up with that. It cranks longer than it needs to, I think because iI haven't set the tach vs. tachless setting (again, can't do it without the LED).

The toughest part was the tach feed. I tapped into the PCM wire for the engine speed and it seems to be okay. Also, there's no way to wire up a neutral safety switch since the trans sends that information in the form of data to the PCM. Most cars have a simple ground or voltage arrangement at the shifter. Not the Caddy. I just grounded that wire so the remote starter thinks it's in park all the time (wait a few months for the story where I start it in gear and it plows through my garage into the house).

All in all it wasn't a bad job, just a long one. Definitely worth the effort.

Jim

·
Registered
2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
3,723 Posts
I love the remote start on my Deville! I had Best Buy install mine, since I'm not that good at electrical! I do wish it had a way to turn on the defrosters, and not manually push the button. But the heated seats have a regular switch, so I just leave those on, and the car starts with the seat heater on.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
caddydaddy said:
I love the remote start on my Deville! I had Best Buy install mine, since I'm not that good at electrical! I do wish it had a way to turn on the defrosters, and not manually push the button. But the heated seats have a regular switch, so I just leave those on, and the car starts with the seat heater on.
I had one in my Buick but I don't remember the wiring being so complex. It was a Bulldog and I didn't use the tach feed or the hood pin. This time I used both. The directions that came with both the interface module and the Code system is obviously written for people who have done the job before. There isn't really a clear explanation of what each connection does or is intended to do (which would give you a hint as to which wire to connect it to in the car). This was my first time actually soldering all of the connections. I'd done some random soldering in the past, but this was my first project. I pulled up some instructions on the web and it worked great. I only screwed up one connection - there are 2 pink wires on the steering column harness. One says "Ignition 1 Voltage" the other says "Ignition Switch Output - Ignition 1". The remote starter gets hooked up to the Output, not the Voltage.

On the DTS, the heated seats are push-buttons so when you shut the car off they shut off. You have to physically push the button again once you start the car to turn them on. The reason I chose this particular starter was because it has on-board relays for other options - like the heated seats - if I choose to wire them up. However, the interface module I got claims it will turn on the seats and defrosters. Knowing what I know about the heated seats, I don't know how that's possible, but I'll see in about an hour when I go to work whether it works or not. If it doesn't work I'll wire up the starter to turn on the seats.

I get to do it again on my mom's car ('02 Deville). My dad thinks she'd like it for Christmas.

Jim

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just in case someone runs into this problem in the future:

The SERVICE THEFT SYSTEM message during the remote start is caused by starting the engine without a key-in-ignition signal. This is solved by providing a ground to the key-in circuit to the PCM. I was told to put a 1A diode in between the ground signal from the remote starter and the key-in circuit. Problem solved.

Jim

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured I'd keep posting weirdness I'm experiencing with the remote starter in case anyone is interested:

- The Code CA530 sometimes sends a double pulse to unlock the doors, so sometimes all the doors unlock sometimes just the driver door unlocks

- There's something strange with the radio. I think it has something to do with the Crimestopper GM SL interface module. I don't know for sure, but it seems to be a data related problem. After remote-starting the car, then inserting the key and driving it, the radio freaks out when I shut the car off. If the radio is on, it stays on (via the RAP) for a few seconds, shuts off, turns back on, shuts off again, displays "12:00" and a few seconds later displays the correct time (but does not turn back on). Since RAP is still enabled I can hit the power button and turn it on, but it's very strange behavior. All other RAP functions work fine (windows, sunroof, cig lighter).

- The GM SL module is only turning on the heated mirrors and rear window defog. Heated seats aren't turning on. The people at Crimestoppers say I need an updated module. Mine's rev 3.4, they're up to 4.8. This may fix the radio thing too.

The Code CA530 came with a bad LED so I have to take the top of the dash apart again to replace it and I haven't buttoned up underneath the dash. I've got wires hanging out everywhere.

I have to commend the people at Crimestopper (aka Fortin Auto Radio). They made the interface module. Their tech support is great. Most companies are only interested in dealing with experienced installers. They've been very patient with me. I've sent them legitimate problems, but problems installers would have already seen and not bugged them with.

So there have been a few bumps in the road, but I really enjoy getting into a warm car. This morning it was 7 degrees out, tomorrow they're calling for temps close to 0 (this is "F", not "C").

Jim

·
Registered
88 Sedan Deville, 89 Eldorado, 11 SRX, 18 CT6
130 Posts
ive installed a viper 791XV (paging lcd remote) and hooked up all the bells and whistles. it works great, does everything i want it to. my radio also has theft deterrent built in (pioneer DEH-P77DH) and i have that intermarried with the viper alarm... so not only does it go off outside... but the interior speakers, and the sub in the trunk go off with over 1,000 watts of pure ear shattering pain. i only set it up that way after someone tried to steal my caddy.... and the factory alarm killed itself to stop the car from being stolen.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey TJ

I'm having most of the wierdness that you posted about after you installed the remote starter on your DTS. I have a 2000 DHS. Thanks for the 1A diode note to remove the "Service Theft System" message on start-up. I have the radio problem you described when you turn the car off (with out the 12:00 thing). The interior lights turn on when I put the car in gear and turn off dim out soon after I start driving. I have been trying to reach Directed Electronics to discuss this stuff with them, but I haven't found someone who is willing to talk to a non-installer.

Please post on your progress in resolving outstanding issues. It is quite helpful

Thanks

DTL

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DTLayne said:
Hey TJ

I'm having most of the wierdness that you posted about after you installed the remote starter on your DTS. I have a 2000 DHS. Thanks for the 1A diode note to remove the "Service Theft System" message on start-up. I have the radio problem you described when you turn the car off (with out the 12:00 thing). The interior lights turn on when I put the car in gear and turn off dim out soon after I start driving. I have been trying to reach Directed Electronics to discuss this stuff with them, but I haven't found someone who is willing to talk to a non-installer.

Please post on your progress in resolving outstanding issues. It is quite helpful

Thanks

DTL
Actually I never did solve all of the problems. I was reading another post from someone here that was having similar trouble and figured that my situation is as good as it's going to get. The only 'problem' I have left is the radio thing when I shut it off. Also, the module does not work as claimed (does not turn on rear defog; does not turn on heated seats). Otherwise functions as it should and the remote starter works fine.

Mine is note a DE unit, it's from Crimestopper. I don't have the interior light problems that you do. My only recommendation is to ditch the interface module and wire everything up the 'hard' way. Or at least your interior lighting if that's where the problem lies. I don't have it handy right now, but I do have a wiring diagram for my 2001 to make the hard connnections directly to the vehicle's wiring. If you need to know which wire is for the interior lights I can dig it up.

Good luck,
Jim

·
Registered
26 Posts
Jim,

Can you give me an idea of where and what color the wire is that the 1A diode connects to the key-in circuit? I want to be crystal-clear when I speak to the installers.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DTLayne said:
Jim,

Can you give me an idea of where and what color the wire is that the 1A diode connects to the key-in circuit? I know the installers are going to want to as little work as possible.

Thanks
In that big honkin' connector that's clipped under the steering column, it's a light green wire in position C3. You want that wire to see a ground when the remote starter is operating. You DON'T want the remote starter to see a ground when the key is in the ignition. So, you put a diode in that allows the ground to get to that wire but not FROM that wire to the remote starter.

Like I said earlier, this was supposed to clear the Service Theft System message but it didn't. It might work for you because you have a different module.

Jim

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
I am just about to start looking for a system to install on my 2001 Deville before it starts to get cold..

Any hints or ideas on which a better remote starter system to get?

I live in Canada at the moment but can get to Detroit or Buffalo easily enough if is is cheaper or there are better installers? Any recomendations?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've had the CODE system for almost a year now and it's been great. My 'problems' aren't with the remote start unit itself but the interface module. It was supposed to work with "Devilles" but it clearly isn't 100% compatible. The manufacturer blames it on the fact the the car is a DTS, but I think it's BS. The modules and communicaton that needs to happen are the same on a DTS versus a base Deville.

The problems are minor:
- still get a service theft system message on remote start (clears when I put the key in)
- seat heaters don't automatically turn on as advertised
- rear defrost comes on randomly (supposed to come on 100% of the time if the temp is below freezing)
- does not recognize driver #1 and driver #2 as advertised

It does retain the single/double click to unlock just the driver or all doors. Remote trunk release is retained, too. The interface module also correctly lights the parking lights and sounds the horn as required.

Again, all problems with the interface module. If you get an interface module that you know is 100% compatible you'll be in good shape. The CODE system I have is very nice - no regrets at all. I could do away with the interface module and 'hard wire' the CODE system to the features I want to activate (like the heated seats and defog) but it's a lot of work.

Good luck!

Jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts