Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been covered, but I can't find anything going back.

I've got an 05 STS V-8. Tried to use my remote start for the first time in a couple of months yesterday, and nothing happens, with either FOB 1or 2. Last spring I brought it to the dealer because when I used the remote start, the car would idle briefly, then kill, and it was very difficult to start afterwords even using the normal push button method. Naturally, they found nothing wrong.

This time, after attempting the remote start without success, I got in the car and the engine started hard, and idled VERY rough for a time.

Any insights?

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
There is a Technical Service Bulletin for your issue, at least the one about the hard starts and rough idle that your dealer needs to perform. Its basically a software flash update that was done to all the 4.6 Northstar cars for the same problem.

The not responding to remote start requests issue is probably something else entirely, but it doesnt surprise as alot of people have problems with their Fob' s as well.

·
Registered
06 STS-1SG-ACC/HUD-Volant CAI-Corsa Exh-Mesh Grill-ClearBra
516 Posts
I would agree that these are most likely seperate issues.

As for the Fob(s), have you tried FOB functions (including remote start) in various locations (i.e. - home, shopping, gas station etc.)? I haven't seen too many comments on remote start problems and nothing that was isolated along a trend line. There have been some comments regarding RFI interference in certain locals and such however. If you are having the issue in a certain location (any towers about?) that is one possiblilty.

The engine is programmed to idle for 10 minutes and then shut back down once RS enabled unless someone gets in (with FOB) and presses the start button. Your post wasn't specific but sounded as if perhaps it wasn't running for even this long.

As for the rough running. How this could be associated with the FOB seems rather unusual indeed and there is the aforementioned TSB that may be the issue. It should be that a engine start is a start no matter how the sequence was initiated.

However never assuming anything these are computer/electronic dependent vehicles and so who knows. If you get the rough idle then immedietly call OnStar and ask them to run a diag. You might get a lucky hit this way. Also, as much of a hassle it is I would take it in every time you can when this occurs and if you are on the road then use OnStar to find the closest dealer and just "swing by" to demonstrate it for them. Get the card of the Service Writer and then take it to your home dealer and tell them to call them for validation that the problem occured.

Never fun to have to drive (no pun intended) the process yourself but there is very few alternatives to the process.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is very basic but I thought to still send along. I find it won't work if the car is not locked. Next time it happens press the lock button and then start again and see if it starts.

·
Registered
2005 STS V8
82 Posts
may727 said:
This is very basic but I thought to still send along. I find it won't work if the car is not locked. Next time it happens press the lock button and then start again and see if it starts.
Locking the car with the fob is part of the sequence for the remote start

·
Banned
2008 CTS
1,192 Posts
Re: Remote Start differnet problem

Sounds like there is a Cadillac tech among us here. :worship: I can't get the seat heater to come on when I remote start. :bonkers: The option is checked but no heat. I have been told it must be cold enough to work. Today was well below freezing this morning and still no heat. I was also told to have the seat heat on prior to shuting the car off. Did that too.:alchi: Anybody have working seat heat with remote start or know what might be wrong?:hmm: I do not have the cooling option.

·
Registered
2008 STS V8 RWD 1SG+Perf Coll. + Perf Handlin pkg
209 Posts
There seemed to be a good purpose for first having to lock the doors with the remote before remote start. Makes Sense. But I was suprised to find out that the system did not care if the windows were already wide open when you tried to remote start the car. Didn't phase it at all. Car started like a charm. Fortunately one can't drive away with the car because it takes the presence of the fob to be able to switch from remote start running to regular running.

·
Registered
'18 Escalade Platinum
924 Posts
Re: Remote Start differnet problem

malcolm said:
Sounds like there is a Cadillac tech among us here. :worship: I can't get the seat heater to come on when I remote start. :bonkers: The option is checked but no heat. I have been told it must be cold enough to work. Today was well below freezing this morning and still no heat. I was also told to have the seat heat on prior to shuting the car off. Did that too.:alchi: Anybody have working seat heat with remote start or know what might be wrong?:hmm: I do not have the cooling option.
I have cooled seats on mine, which worked with the remote start, but now that its turned cold, my seat heaters don't work with the remote start and I've made sure the feature is turned on. I even set the system to turn on the rear defrost as well (even though mine is garaged) and still no seat heat. Haven't brought it to dealer yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts