Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this topic has been brought up already but... i went to the dealer on Sat to get an oil change. While I was there I floated the idea of adding a remote start to the car for the winter. I was quoted $595 for a system that uses one remote and "about $79 less for a system that uses 2 remotes"

Just me or does this seem ridiculously high? A new Impala comes standard with remote start and it is a GM vehicle. So they are telling me that to add on a remote start on a GM vehicle costing over $40000 is over $600 with tax? But I can get the same system on a Impala standard? WTF.

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V, 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre
1,640 Posts
Hey, they gotta do something to get people to buy an Impala...

Do you know the brand of remote start system they were offering to install? There was a thread a while back about the "Astrostart" remote system, and that ran about $500 or so.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
The problem is the amount of labor it takes for the installation. $595 with an extra remote is not bad if the remotes are two way to verify the car started.

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
I have the astrostart on my Denali and like it OK. I find the remote to be too large and I have to hold the buttons down a while before it sends the signal. (Maybe that's a good thing in preventing accidental use.) If you use two remotes with two seating settings, check to see if whatever you install will support that. I didn't care on my truck since I'm the only driver.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The Impala already has it from the factory. It is built in to the computer. When you have to spend the time and labor hard wiring a aftermarket remote start in, it is going to cost you. I charge more than that down here in Florida. They are not popular at all down here. I can do a CTS in about 3 hours. You need an immobilizer bypass and if you are getting new remotes to replace the old one you will need a data interface also. The CTS's I do I retain the factory remotes and use DEI's 561t. I program them to start the car with 3 presses of the lock button. I have to pull the door panel and run wires through the factory boot. Not easy. Most people do not know how labor intensive they are. And the guys who brag how fast they do them take too many shortcuts and use inferior connections. I solder all connections and tape all wires. When I am done with the car you cannot tell I worked on it. It is not the product that cost so much it is the quality of labor and knowledge you receive.

DanDan

·
Registered
STS4
97 Posts
I had a top of the line remote starter/alarm in my fx4 when I asked my friend who installed it he told me it was all together a different system and it wasn't cheap , I said WTF this 1 cost me almost 350 wholesale , I didn't even look into a price yet for this car

·
Registered
CTS
1,485 Posts
Boston.CTS said:
I had a top of the line remote starter/alarm in my fx4 when I asked my friend who installed it he told me it was all together a different system and it wasn't cheap , I said WTF this 1 cost me almost 350 wholesale , I didn't even look into a price yet for this car
I know that GM offers factory manu/dealer installed remote start upgrades for SOME of their models also, so I wonder if its just a matter of time before they may offer that for the CTS??

I live in FL, but I'd like remote start, but for the middle of the summer!!!!!

I just had a 06 DTS loaner and the remote start was real nice!

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
4,382 Posts
jteolis said:
I know that GM offers factory manu/dealer installed remote start upgrades for SOME of their models also, so I wonder if its just a matter of time before they may offer that for the CTS??
I live in FL, but I'd like remote start, but for the middle of the summer!!!!!
I just had a 06 DTS loaner and the remote start was real nice!
Not until the redesign. It isn't that far off, so there's no real necessity to changing that much in the electronics to make the remote start a standard thing right now.

·
Registered
CTS
1,485 Posts
caddycruiser said:
Not until the redesign. It isn't that far off, so there's no real necessity to changing that much in the electronics to make the remote start a standard thing right now.
Not talking about standard, GM is offereing dealer installed remote start upgrades in certain models, isn't it possible that they could do that for the CTS?

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
The dealers here have made their own arrangements with local shops to have remote starts installed on showroom cars. Some are offered as a local incentive. Installation of remote starts is such a specialized business it's better than having the dealer personnel install them. The big concern here is that the unit have enough range that you don't have to go outside and walk halfway to the car to get it to work. The El Cheapos are bad in this respect.

·
Registered
CTS
1,485 Posts
This is from a GM Tech bulletin June 2005:

Remote Vehicle Start (RVS) has been a popular factory-installed option since being introduced on the 2004 Chevrolet Malibu (RPO AP3). Because RVS is integrated with the vehicle’s anti-theft and remote keyless entry systems, it is very robust, unlike aftermarket systems that cannot offer the same level of security and integration. It provides owners with the comfort of being able to enter a pre-warmed or pre-cooled vehicle.

In response to popular demand, dealer-installed RVS accessory kits are now available for selected vehicles (fig. 1). Kits can be obtained from GMSPO or from your local Accessory Distributor/Installer (ADI).

IMPORTANT:
You must specify which vehicle the kit will be installed on.

Once properly installed, the kit is integrated into the vehicle’s systems, just like the factory-installed equipment. And the kit is also covered by the GM warranty. AP8 and RVS kits will be introduced throughout 2005, following this tentative schedule.

Second Quarter

Buick LaCrosse and Allure (Canada)
Chevrolet Malibu
Pontiac G6
Pontiac Grand Prix

Third Quarter

Buick Lucerne
Chevrolet Impala/Monte Carlo

Fourth Quarter

Buick Terraza
Chevrolet Uplander
Pontiac Montana SV6