Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
'11 CADILLAC CTS
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering after browsing through Ebay, is it possible to install a remote start in our CTS from a Cadillac STS and no effects? What would it take? Is it possible?:stirpot:

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG
2,043 Posts
Why not go aftermarket? Probably way cheaper with a much better range than GM stock systems.

·
Registered
'11 CADILLAC CTS
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Makes sense.:2thumbs: Just wondering.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6L Black, LOADED
2,424 Posts
only thing is sacrificing a key to keep the chip in the car so it will start. if u dont have the head of a key with the chip in the car u cant remote start (to my knowledge). I was looking into this too. I'm gonna get around to calling my dealer and asking if there is a way to just get a chip and then I can hide that in the car, or getting another key and chopping the head off it and hiding that. I wouldnt want to have an entire key in the car capable of driving the car off with.

Oh and welcome back home cammie :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
only thing is sacrificing a key to keep the chip in the car so it will start. if u dont have the head of a key with the chip in the car u cant remote start (to my knowledge). I was looking into this too. I'm gonna get around to calling my dealer and asking if there is a way to just get a chip and then I can hide that in the car, or getting another key and chopping the head off it and hiding that. I wouldnt want to have an entire key in the car capable of driving the car off with.

Here is what I did...I ordered another key, got it cut and programmed the chip (key must be cut to program) Then I had the shop cut the metal part of the key down so it cant be inserted into the ignition and that is what is in my dash.

They also make bypass units for the Pk3 system which do not need a key in the dash, although sometimes they do not operate properly like the one I originally had (car has too many electronics that could affect how the bypass functions, some CTSs it works fine, others not so well), that is why I had to use the traditional key in dash method.

·
Registered
'11 CADILLAC CTS
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is what I did...I ordered another key, got it cut and programmed the chip (key must be cut to program) Then I had the shop cut the metal part of the key down so it cant be inserted into the ignition and that is what is in my dash.

They also make bypass units for the Pk3 system which do not need a key in the dash, although sometimes they do not operate properly like the one I originally had (car has too many electronics that could affect how the bypass functions, some CTSs it works fine, others not so well), that is why I had to use the traditional key in dash method.
Interesting. Does it work like a charm? I might have to look into that.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Interesting. Does it work like a charm? I might have to look into that.
When I had the bypass and I would remote start it would say "service theft system" on my DIC and occasionally the wipers would not work. Since these cars are so full of electronics, it was having some issues. The installers told me on some CTSs they did it worked fine and the same goes for other newer GM vehicles; some would work some would not.

When I did the key in the dash which is the traditional way it is done, I have not had any problems in over a year.

·
Registered
'11 CADILLAC CTS
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just realized that you mentoined this. Thanks for the warm welcome back. I really appreciate it. :highfive:

When I had the bypass and I would remote start it would say "service theft system" on my DIC and occasionally the wipers would not work. Since these cars are so full of electronics, it was having some issues. The installers told me on some CTSs they did it worked fine and the same goes for other newer GM vehicles; some would work some would not.

When I did the key in the dash which is the traditional way it is done, I have not had any problems in over a year.
So let me get this straight. First off where do I purchase this "key" Secondly you said I had to get it cut and programmed, correct. Cut and program to the CTS system or the STS stystem? Next thing is, did you installed the starter yourself? What does it takes for installing the components from the STS? Is it necessary? I'm in the dark here.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I just realized that you mentoined this. Thanks for the warm welcome back. I really appreciate it. :highfive:

So let me get this straight. First off where do I purchase this "key" Secondly you said I had to get it cut and programmed, correct. Cut and program to the CTS system or the STS stystem? Next thing is, did you installed the starter yourself? What does it takes for installing the components from the STS? Is it necessary? I'm in the dark here.

Thanks in advance
Ok...lets see...

1) I am talking about an aftermarket starter system. Honestly to fit an STS system to the CTS I would feel is way to much work and money (not the mention is might not work) for something that you can easily get aftermarket. I have a Viper starter system which is a reputable brand.

2) A reputable shop should install the starter system and these shops also sell the product also, they have many different models, some are just the starter, some are starter and alarm, some have starter with the pager alarm, you choose what you need. Install should take several hours. Probably have to leave your car for most of the day.

3) The key I bought for 25 dollars off ebay. It is an uncut PK3 key for a Cadillac CTS. Bsically its just as if you purchasd an extra key as a spare. I had it cut at the local key shop and programming the chip to your car is very simple. If you PM me once you decide to go with this I can send you the instructions. VERY EASY..DO NOT go to the dealer for this key and programming they will charge you up the ass...cost me a total of 30 dollars from start to finish. The key MUST be cut though because to program it has to go into the ignition.

4) The installer people will use this key to make the remote start start the vechicle witout a key in the ignition by using the programmed chip in the head of the key to make the car think a key is present in the ignition. If you want, have the installer grind the key down if you are afraid someone will rip apart your dash to get it. In theory they could...but in reality its highly improbable that would acutally happen as the key is buried pretty damn good.

If you have more questions, go to a reputable car audio shop and ask them personally. They can explain better in person than I can here. My main point was..if you want a remote start, just go aftermarket. They work great and theres no real reason to dig out one from an STS that might not even work anymore.

·
Registered
'11 CADILLAC CTS
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn. You borke down pretty well. I totally understand now. I appreciate it. I'll send you a PM when I find the nearest car shop around here that can install it. Thanks a million

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,182 Posts
The STS factory remote start has limited range compared the aftermarket units I have owned. I wouldn't waste time on it myself.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6L Black, LOADED
2,424 Posts

Thanks in advance
cammie, i think you might be missing the point that in our CTS keys there is a chip. This chip is in the head of the key in the plastic. This chip is needed to be in the car for the car to start. For example, if u took a key and ripped that plastic head off and tried to start the car with just the plain metal of the key, it would not start.

To purchase another key, you can goto your dealer. I know that some people can make them and get a chip that will work with your car, use this method at your own risk tho. You can buy a plain key and get it cut and program it yourself tho too.

Cut and programmed. Yes. The keys chip must be programed to your car. Forget the STS system. Just get an after market system.

You can install it yourself. But its so cheap to get this done somewhere. I know around here there are people that do JUST alarm systems and remote starters, they will be done in no time. and its cheap. I was quoted at $180 for a remote start, door lock/unlock, alarm system arm/disarm, and trunk opener. And its the kind where you walk near the car and it unlocks if the key-chain is in your pocket and locks when u walk away (like the STS). Now at $180 installed, its not the TOP of the line system. Its actually just using the stock alarm system (I have no need for a new state of the art alarm system, I just want a remote start), and adding remote start and the door lock/unlock when u get close/far from the car.

Hope I cleared somethings up for you. Best of luck! :thumbsup:

-Steve

·
Registered
Currently Cadillacless
25 Posts
This was a problem that plagued installers in the late 90's when installing remote starts in Fords. There was a transponder bypass module available that you place the key's transponder in and then wrap the antenna around the steering column. Most modules now days are universal. Here's just one of the modules available. I'm sure you can find hundreds.
http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/product.php?productid=254

1 - 14 of 14 Posts