Cadillac Owners Forum banner
4K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  the727kid 
#1 ·
What brands do you guys recommend? I am wanting to stay away from those like bulldog and the cheapo's. I don't buy crap, only quality. So with that said does Clifford and some other big name alarm companies make remote starters? Is there one that's better than another? Are there some features to stay away from?

#4 ·
I would take it somewhere to have it installed, like ziebart or something. Again not one of those things to do yourself. When your playing around that stuff you can really mess stuff up.

#5 ·
Well I have a machanic buddy of mine who worked in a caddy dealership for 3 years prior to his now working at a dodge dealership. So he has exp doing this. I was just wondering on brand names to look for, not advice on whether to attack this myself or not.

#6 ·
I dont think there are any sort of specific brands that are better than others, but look for these things: the features you want, a decent warranty, and a good price. if you can get more than 1 reciever, great! Works nice if the batteries run out on one, then you dont have to reprogram it. I would do research, though. See if there is any sort of interferance with the northstar computers and the remote starter. I couldnt imagine there would be any problems.

#7 ·
Sorry gang, But I've been thinking about it and I can not possibly think of a VALID reason for a remote starter. The only guys I see using them are the kind of guys that look around to see if anyone's looking before they use the thing so they can impress someone! I'm not impressed! Why on earth do you need your car started before you get in it? How LAME is that? Just like car alarms! Did you ever see anyone come out and check to see what was happening to their car? NO! What's the point? Most professional car theives can get around the thing faster than you can disable it with your remote! once again LAME!
That's what I think!!:wave:

#8 ·
Well you don't live where it gets -10 degrees in the winter. sure would be nice to be able to start the car from inside the house and not have to get dressed to brave the cold just to come back in, undress, and jump in the shower and shave for work. It only takes me 15 min to shower n shave and that is the time itusually takes to defrost the windshield. Garage is full with my restoration project car and snowmobiles. I don't like cold cars in the winter, nor hot ones in the summer.

#9 ·
And leave an unattended car running in the driveway? I don't think so!

#11 ·
There ain't no crime rate in MY neighborhood! I'll Have to back away from my position slightly 'cause you have probably the only reason that makes a little sense to me.(The cold weather) But out here we also have a high ******* count and they put stuff like that on their cars to make people think they're BIG TIME! THAT is LAME!

#13 ·
I have a dishwasher but I think she has been broken for over 4 years. Yeah the cold sucks and that is the primary reason I want one on my car. Once I can garage all my cars this won't be a problem. I am looking for an acreage just outside of city limits to move into. Requirements are outbuilding with room for 6 cars +boat and lots of shop space. Also 5+ acres. I can't forsee any reason anyone would need a remote car starter unless they live in a cold climate.

#15 ·
check on your states idling laws too. some states have no laws others have a good fine for letting your car sit idling

#17 ·
Iowa is ok with it

#18 ·
Dont worry about leaving the car unattended, the car doesnt unlock the doors when it starts, and when you hit the brakes it shuts off the car until you put the key in.

#19 ·
I think its just a novelty item for most people. hey look what my car can do. Mabey when I go EFI Ill get one because it gets cold here every once in a while so I can warm it up. I'd like a much longer range to it though. I'd hate having to keep getting closer and hitting the butten then get closer and closer then try again when it wouldn't have taken that much more effort to just get in and start it myself. that is my biggest gripe about keyless entry, car alarms, remote car starters, etc

#21 ·
Hi this is for kcnewell.
Don't know wherre you live or how old you are. Perhaps your just a young pup. Here in eastern Canada, just above maine it gets down to minus 20 and has been known to get to minus 40 during the winter months. It's always nice to have the ability to start your vehicle on these chilly days. Iw ould agree with you though if you live in the lower states.
Remember if you have a northstar you need to bypass circuits that will give feedbact to the cars computer. serious problems can occur if you connect to the wrong circuits, also true if you don't bypass the anti thieft device. Ask an expert if you need advice on this toopic.
Rember an expert is sometimes an-x (has been) spert(drip under pressure)
Have a nice day!
Ken

#25 ·
I want one. My truck is parked about 30' outside my dining room window, 80' from my bedroom window.

On cold mornings I run outside with a wet head in a bathrobe to start the damn thing so it will be warm 20 minutes later when I go to work. It also defrosts the windshield.

I don't have a crime problem, everything's behind a locked gate a long way from the road. It's a perfect set-up for me to have one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.