Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sitting at a shop getting my car serviced and was thinking; My Driver 1 fob is beat, the buttons are unreadable, and it's corroded inside. Probably from my sweaty pocket. Is there a good source for new fobs? Lot's of places sell them. I got 2 new ones for my Ford Focus on Amazon and followed the instructions for programming them. Is it that simple on the STS? Anyone had a good experience down this road?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
No way to program the fobs yourself, a TECH II scan tool is required. Any GM dealer can do it.

Used fobs are plentiful and inexpensive. #1 and #2 fobs are identical other than the rear plastic cover. I believe basscatt knows the part numbers that will work with your car.

All fobs you plan to use must be present when the new fob is programmed.

·
Registered
2007 DTS LuxII, 2008 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4, 2002 Seville SLS (RIP)
81 Posts
I have bought fobs and key blanks for my SLS from Amazon relatively cheap.

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks MC. I see used ones on Amazon for $25. I guess I'm at the mercy of the dealer or some other qualified shop to get it programmed. That can't cost more than $50 can it?

·
Registered
2007 DTS LuxII, 2008 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4, 2002 Seville SLS (RIP)
81 Posts
I paid just under 20 bucks for a new fob and 14 for the key blank.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,275 Posts
I'm sitting at a shop getting my car serviced and was thinking; My Driver 1 fob is beat, the buttons are unreadable, and it's corroded inside. Probably from my sweaty pocket. Is there a good source for new fobs? Lot's of places sell them. I got 2 new ones for my Ford Focus on Amazon and followed the instructions for programming them. Is it that simple on the STS? Anyone had a good experience down this road?
==========================
Is there a good source for new fobs?
ebay

Is it that simple on the STS?
easy with a TECH2 scanner -
impossible without it -

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I'm seeing 3rd party fobs for much less than even used GM fobs. Not sure if the quality and range is comparable.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
I wouldn't recommend the aftermarket ones at all.

Used OEM are cheap enough and very reliable.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,275 Posts
That's what I'm thinking.
=====================
I'm sitting at a shop getting my car serviced and was thinking;
My Driver 1 fob is beat,
the buttons are unreadable,
and it's corroded inside
if the fob still works - you can "rebuild" it -

brand new case -
available in several colors -

brand new keypad -

and just re-use your original board -
so - no reprogramming requited -

less than $5 - including shipping -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Remote-Key-Keyless-Fob-Case-Rubber-Gas-Button-Pad-Shell-Fix-Repair-/310972033294?fits=Model:Seville&hash=item486760a90e&vxp=mtr

==========================

you must be very careful buying remotes -
the listings are often wrong with the application -

I know #25695966 and #25695967 will work with the 2001 and newer Seville -
but I don't think they work with the older models -

just check the numbers on your existing remotes -
and order the same -

regardless of the "DRIVER" number on the fob -
you can have two of the same number -
the first unit matched to the car will be DRIVER #1 -
the second unit matched to the car becomes DRIVER #2 -

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a thought. i need to see how corroded the board is. The casing is broken all the way around it.

·
Registered
1999 Deville Base; 2001 Seville SLS
68 Posts
I have a '99 which came with one fob, and I bought another one from ebay, naturally with no way to program it myself. I asked our local Caddy dealer about getting it programmed, they told me it would be $60 - one hour's labor; I decided to wait. That was a few years back. Fast forward a couple of years, and I braved my way back to the dealer to learn that it was now gonna be $75. I declined again.
But I did find a locksmith that does auto key work for the local auctions and rental companies, and they have an "Advanced Diagnostic" box that can pretty much do anything a Tech II can do, and they let me use my car and fobs for training their new guy. Now I have 2 fobs programmed.

·
Registered
'99 Seville STS; '96/7 ETC
2,393 Posts
Now I realise that (1) the situation is different here, because by the time a car's that old, the only realistic solution is to have an auto security company fit an after-market system & (2) this will be considered rather reactionary/leftfield, but - why bother?
My experience has been that fob batteries last 12/15 years, the replacements last a couple of months (assuming you've managed to fit them in the 30 seconds available before it loses its memory), so when the fob fails now, I just except that that's not a bad life for what is, in truth, a glorified novelty & use the key - simple! Remember, even the user manual warns that the fob is no substitute for a key. (if you've read my earlier thread, you'll realise there is a certain irony in that)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts