Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2011 DTS Base
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with or know of a reliable, knowledgeable independent DTS/Cadillac mechanic in Southern California? I am located on the eastern border of Los Angeles County adjacent to Orange County. Preferably someone located in Western Orange County near zip code 90720. The location is not a requirement, but would help.

I have no immediate need for one, I'd like to begin a relationship by letting them do some general service work and inspections while getting a feel for their operation.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Base
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Could one of the Admins possibly move this to one of the General forums? I may have tried to be too specific by posting it here in the DTS sub-forum.

·
Registered
96 FWB
1,131 Posts
Maybe more hits now that it's moved to here; maybe not. I saw your post long ago, and it sure seems your criteria serves to curtail response a lot more than the section it's posted in. You specifically disclude dealerships, and where I understand every destination in LA is 2 hours away from everywhere else in that city you ratchet down to even a preferred (but of course not required) zipcode!

Given the absence of urgency and your otherwise prudent tack "to begin a relationship by letting them do some general service work and inspections while getting a feel for their operation", it sure seems like you have the time and opportunity to google, "indie car repair shop" in your hood and throw all manner of tiny jobs at some attractive prospects to start your own data base and short list. Instead of waiting potentially x more months with sparce return.

You're experienced enough to know dealers are not the default go-to or assumptive godsend for repair of a 10-year old car, so have you snagged a set of FSM and experimented with doing more and more of your own work?

·
Registered
2011 DTS Base
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FTSS,

I appreciate your response. I do have several small "indie" shops that I use in my area. Most of these are generic Mom & Pop places and over the years I've whittled it down and found the ones I trust. But so far most of the work that I've had done is fairly routine and not Cadillac specific. I'm sure if and when the time comes several of them would be able to step up to the plate and tackle something beyond the scope of this routine maintenance.

I guess my inquiry was in hope of finding someone who really loves Cadillacs, with direct experience and someone who will treat me and my car with respect. I know we all have someone like that, I was just looking to see if there were any suggestion for shops in my general area.

·
Registered
96 FWB
1,131 Posts
Here's your ad in the local paper then:
Conscientious owner of partly depreciated Cadillac ISO grown motorhead patterned early to Cadys who grew to become independantly wealthy mechanic who isn't hellbent on cutting a fat hog on every job with hidden charges, scam non-work or undocumentable added work, and who has also shunned all other old brands as inferior and distracting to garnering all the secrets and knowledge of just my personal favorite car in the world. In return, I'll not kick your cat, and I'll talk nice to your fat little kids if they're in the shop. Fakes, phonies, "5% environmental recapture fee" or "10% misc. shop supplies / expendibles charges" need not reply. Send pics of your fave Cady to assure compatibility.

That was fun. I've never posted on a love site before. But seriously good luck, I know finding a reliable honest shop is nearly anybody's dream. I still recommend a set of FSMs. Great light reading and confidence builder, and you'll find the car is old enough that systems are still humanly comprehendable enough for mere mortals to work on. You'll soon uncover fewer and fewer things you can't fix on your own at less cost and time, and lower BP and cortisol levels.

Get involved in a local carclub and I bet you get good leads.

·
Registered
Alexandra - 96 SDV Clyde - 15 Silvy
6,428 Posts
Ask around. Friends, family, tire shop you like, you'd be surprised. I had one shop recommended by three separate sources in town, and they did a great job servicing my brother's old Camaro. Decent pricing and UNBELIEVABLE turnaround.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts