Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
I consider cts-v as my next way of transportation but I have couple of questions and concerns. I drive currently 06 M5 and my lease will be over in several months. So, it's time.
For many reasons I usually buy or lease new cars. The last time I had an American car was probably 15 years ago. I am quite satisfied with reliability of German cars. What can u say about CTS-V? Does it make sense to buy a new one or it's more reasonable to look for one year old with minimal mileage? (I hate this idea, but...) I am a little bit apprehensive to put a lot of money for the union product. What to expect in terms of technical problems? With my M5 I had none. What actually "V" does mean for Cadillac people? Is it the same as "M" for BMW or AMG for MB? I mean extra attention to minor details in and out. Or it is just monster engine and everything else made with famous American "quality"? Honestly, just like everybody else, I have no time or desire to visit dealership more often then regular maintenance requires. So, if I'm about to buy a constant problem on four wheels I would probably stay with Germans. If it is decent, reliable car I will go forward.
Your thoughts will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
None
22 Posts
Im selling my 650i and getting a V because I'm so sick of bringing it in for repairs every 3k miles and the snobby dealership not giving me loaner and trying not to warentee anything. I don't think I will ever buy another BMW. Maybe a lease one day, but never buy.

·
Registered
NONE
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im selling my 650i and getting a V because I'm so sick of bringing it in for repairs every 3k miles and the snobby dealership not giving me loaner and trying not to warentee anything. I don't think I will ever buy another BMW. Maybe a lease one day, but never buy.
Is "V" better?

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
1,654 Posts
Most of us have < 30,000 miles on our cars and have had very few or no reliability issues. I'm approaching 27,000 miles and have only had one tire pressure monitor sensor go bad; hardly a reliability issue. I would be much more concerned buying or leasing a BMW. I owned a BMW in the past and was not impressed with the frequent and expensive "inspections" required to keep the warranty in place. GM cars are much cheaper to maintain.

Yes, the "V" Cadillacs are the in-house high performance versions of the standard models ala BMW "M" or Mercedes "AMG." Read some of the many auto magazine reviews of the current "V" and you will learn of the technology involved in the drivetrain, suspension, brakes, etc.

Jud

·
Registered
Tuner car fanatic..there all good!
1,142 Posts
The V is as good as it gets and if your dealership is worth anything, like mine dealership Sewell Cadillac/Saab out here in Grapevine, Texas you will get awesome customer service.

Come on now, how long has GM been making the Cadillac brand..100 years or more at least. I think this car can take care of you.

·
Registered
'08 STS-V Sedan Black Formerly three CTS-V's, XLR and STS4N*
868 Posts
Perception can be an awful thing. The perception that the US automakers cannot screw together a car is wrong and incorrect. There was a time in the 70's and 80's where that was true. The greed of the Big 3 and the greed of the UAW made it hard to assemble a quality product but out of neccessity things have changed and the American auto makers screw together better cars today than many of their foreign competitors. The fact is that many, many of the parts in the CTS-V are made by the same companies that make parts for your BMW in Deutschland. Get over it and go for a test drive. As for the V or M getting any "special" treatment in manufacturing they don't. Yhey get the sum of their parts from different bins but they are manufactured just the same, by hand and robot.

JD Power reliability rating:
http://autos.aol.com/cars-Cadillac-CTS_V-2010/reliability/

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Sold my Dinan Stage 2 2007 M6 with title in hand and now own an 09 V with title in hand. No regrets. I tell you "title in hand" because I want you to know my decsion was not a financial one.
I have no regrets in fact, quite happy. Have you test driven one?

V is from GM Performance Division.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe (Auto)
312 Posts
The "V-Series" is the Cadillac performance division. It is simmilar to MBZ's AMG, BMW's M Division, Jaguar's R-Series, and Lexus' F-line.

The interior fitments of the base CTS are already quite nice, however the V does have different features and details. For example, CTS-V's feature suede inserts in the center of the seats and door panels, the base seats feature more lateral support. Additionaly different trim, stearing wheel, and gauges.

To say that GM just stuffed a big engine under the hood is doing a big disservice to the car. So far our members have changed out of several M5's, a Dainna M6, a tuned CL65, among others. They seem to be quite happy with their cars, and I don't think any of them have had problems with reliability, even with a couple of them putting down 650RWHP.

Buy new, buy used, we don't care. If you don't care about having a new car you can save a bit buying used. But you are still going to be looking at about $50-$60k for a used 2009-2010 CTS-V, below that check for accident records. Several here were quite sure they would wait a year to pick up a used V for ~$30k when they were released, they are still waiting.

Most important, not all Cadillac Dealers are the same. Some are helpful and knowledgable, others couldn't find their way out of a paper bag. Very few people in this forum write glowing reviews of dealers when they have recieved good service, though everyone is quick to call out the bad ones.

~ Matt

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
My 2004 CTS-V had it's growing pains but none of those kept me off the road more than a few days and were all fixed properly with Cadillac constantly coming up with improvements with the replacements.

What you'd be getting in a V2 (2009-current) is a car that has been so thought through, it's amazing, especially with the world-leading drivetrain...

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
Perception can be an awful thing. The perception that the US automakers cannot screw together a car is wrong and incorrect. There was a time in the 70's and 80's where that was true. The greed of the Big 3 and the greed of the UAW made it hard to assemble a quality product but out of neccessity things have changed and the American auto makers screw together better cars today than many of their foreign competitors. The fact is that many, many of the parts in the CTS-V are made by the same companies that make parts for your BMW in Deutschland. Get over it and go for a test drive. As for the V or M getting any "special" treatment in manufacturing they don't. Yhey get the sum of their parts from different bins but they are manufactured just the same, by hand and robot.

JD Power reliability rating:
http://autos.aol.com/cars-Cadillac-CTS_V-2010/reliability/
Very well said.

Just be wary if way2evil1 replies in this thread... :cookoo:

·
Registered
V-Less
341 Posts
I just came out of a 08 M5 lease into a V and have been impressed with many aspects of the car including fit finish and build quality.
I'm only at 1k miles so who knows what the future will bring.
The germans tend to over engineer and complicate things unnecessarily just because they can. I- DRIVE and SMG are good examples.
The V is a much more straight forward dare I say simpler in execution than the M, given this it should be very reliable.
As mentioned above I also think the ease of modifications and the apparent reliability of some seriously powerful cars speak volumes about the quality and simplicity of the V

·
Registered
'10 6-speed Black CTS-V & '10 White Diamond Premium ESV
87 Posts
With respect to American cars overall reliability, I guess it might also depend on how you treat them (I always follow recommended break-in periods,etc). From 1996 (entered workforce from college) through today I have had the following new American cars: 1996 Mustang GT,1998 Mustang Cobra,2003 Mustang Cobra, 2007 CTS-V, 2010 CTS-V and 2010 Escalade.Combined, these cars have spent a grand total of 0 nights in the shop. Not too bad if you ask me. The new V is a great car, you should take the plunge! Good luck!

·
Registered
09 CTS-V
365 Posts
I've had my V since December 2008 and it has been very reliable. Of the few issues I've had the dealership has went above and beyond to make sure I was taken care of. Best car I've ever owned.

·
Registered
05 SRX; 09 V
273 Posts
Stick with the German cars. You will never be happy. Your preconceived notions about this country and its workers will distort any pleasure you might derive from one of the neatest American cars ever made. Why would you even believe anything we say? Almost all of us are American workers in some fashion and maybe some of us are even in the UAW, so we are obviously lazy, have no pride in our work and make crap. If it makes any difference to you, there is a cable across the top of the engine that came from China. That will probably convince you.
Mike

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T
3,085 Posts
20k miles on my V, an 09 a first year production sports car and the only issue i had is the creaking ultraview roof which was fixed. How many german first years sports vehicles can say the same ?

·
Registered
R32
78 Posts
Good luck.
Not with the car, but finding one you like in Los Angeles.
There are about 8 V's from Ventura to south Orange County and all of them are manuals. If you are serious and you dont like any of these, you need to order one soon to get the first allocation from the next production run which I've been told is September.

·
Registered
NONE
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, I am going to get manual. I still don't understand this allocation system. Anyway, I am going to come to the dealership 8 weeks before end of my lease and to order what I want. Is any possibility that they will not be able to order car for me because of "allocation"?

·
Registered
NONE
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, guys. Finally I made my mind and ready to order my V-sedan. This weekend or next week. Depends on my schedule. How should I approach this problem? I can go to my nearest dealership which is in Sherman Oaks, CA and place my order. The dealership doesn't look bad. Or maybe somebody from this forum could give me the hand? I know that there several special persons here who help people out.
I would like to order a white car. I have problems with interior color. I do know that I don't want black interior. What people usually order with white V? Titanium? What does look really great? I know about different tastes. But if u could give me some suggestions for consideration...
Thank you.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Sedan
89 Posts
I just came from a 2010 s4 that I traded in early. In not much more than a year it had the water pump replaced, thermostat recall, and the fancy dsg transmission lagged between shifts on a regular basis. (The dsg was awesome when it worked well though) Can't imagine the v being any worse than that.

Interior is a different story. The Audi is nicer in all regards. That's not to say that the v isn't nice, but they may need another generation to match. The Cadillac iPod intgration is awful and the Bose sound is just ok. Lets be honest though, we buy these cars for performance and the v dominates all current competitors while doing it comfortably and with class.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts