*Based on ONE model year
Source: consumer reports

Two reasons to ignore this...

·
Registered
'05 STS4
668 Posts
OK, lets talk Consumer Reports... :)

This has always been an "Anti-American" car, parking lot loaded with Prisus', magazine run by, and for, 60yr old ladies !

Every two years I get their "bingo cards" in the mail for a trail subscription (which includes a Buying Guide, How to Clean Practically Everything, and a couple months of their rag). I always send it in and wait for them to cancel me for nonpayment. I have done this for over 20yrs ;) I HATE THEM and look forward to costing them money!!! hehehehe....

I marvel at the inane irrelevance of their articles. My latest favorite was from the last time I did this (last winter) was the rating for Cordless Drills. They picked 1/2dz manufactures (which, showing their lack of understanding of the market, did not include Dewalt) and decided on the 5 most important criteria for drills that should be scrutinized. This included weight, battery life, and AMAZINGLY, NOISE!!! Yup, how Loud the drill was when using was considered of Major Importance :D

WHO, but a dried-up Old Lady, would have placed such significance on the noise your cordless drill made when drilling????

They truly are a stupid, irrelevant, publication and I'm astounded they could have such a following.......

·
Registered
2005 STS4 V8
154 Posts
Not sure. It's just a chart relating to "reliability" by make.
You can probably guess that GM/Chrysler line the bottom and Toyota/Scion/Honda are at the top.

Consumer Guide and Edmunds are my preferred sources and Consumer Reports is generally to be avoided.

JD Power rates Cadillac 4/5 merits for overall dependability which I would agree with.

·
Registered
'05 STS4
668 Posts
Why can't I see anything in the original post in the thread? Seems like you guys can.
I didn't see anything there either. I use Firefox (everybody should) with a Flashblock Add-On so I just assumed it was stopping it.

When ever that happens I just hit the "QUOTE" button and in the reply box it will contain the missing stuff.

In this case, the photobucket link returns:

The image “http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa92/lionsfan54/C41453611027.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

So, I'm not sure if the problems not on Their end anyway....

·
Registered
06 STS-V & 06 STS 4 (sold 2016)
2,713 Posts
Thanks. I'm just seeing a red X in place of the chart. That's the first time I've had a problem on here, other pictures have come through fine. Oh well , no big deal.

·
Registered
NONE
70 Posts
Reliability isn't everything as we all know. You have to live life and enjoy things. Toyota and honda make cars that are generally painfully boring and simple, but they get from A to B with without many problems. To each their own. My lexus never gave me any problems, but I love to actually feel like i'm driving. I don't like driving a car with accessories that make me feel like i'm still in the 80's. The STS rules. Look at BMW sales and value, but their reliability sucks. They aren't having any financial problems.

·
Registered
2009 STS, 2010 SRX-T
81 Posts
I'm a DBA that specializes in Business Intelligence and it's my humble opinion that this chart is useless. Doesn't it stand to reason that if something has been less reliable in the past that the manufacturer is going to work to make it more reliable in the future. Maybe there was a design flaw that caused a bunch of problems. They'll address those problems with the next design and the product will be MORE reliable in the future. I want facts! Not predictions!

·
Registered
STS
7 Posts
The Consumer Reports system is totally flawed. They survey their subscribed readers; it's like a Republican publication survey their readers on which party is better; of course you know the answer would be Republican. People who do not agree with Consumer Reports' bias won't pay for the subscription thus only their believers are included in the survey.

On the other hand, JD Power conducts their survey on a broader and more neutral way. In the 2009 vehicle dependability study, here's some brand's ranking:

Buick, No. 1
Lexus, No. 3
Cadillac, No. 9
Honda, No. 10

1 - 17 of 17 Posts