Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Northstar Eldorado and it is fast.
But it is only fast by comparison.

For the last 25 years or so there have not been many factory hot rods AKA muscle cars.

Compared to the cars of the 70's-80's era the Northstar is a rocket!

I am close to 60 YO and was in my primal youth in the 60's.
I had a good job, made good bucks and bought about three cars a year. I also raced them on weekends and drove them to work all week.

Those cars weighed close to what my Eldorado weighs but they were almost ALL over 400 hp.

Most of those cars would eat up today's Northstars at the track.

Many people here are younger and have not had the pleasure of power shifting at 6800 rpm.

But those old factory hot rods did not idle good, most had minimal accessories, they rode terrible and they did not last long.

The Northstar idles smooth and quiet, the car rides like a pillow, and if taken care of they will last.

The factory hot rods of the 60's had 12.5 to 1 compression and higher, headers, four speed manual transmissions, miltiple carbs etc.

I wonder what you would have if you had a 400 + cubic inch Northstar with 12 to 1 compression, headers and a 4 speed manual trans??

Pat

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
I know what you're saying here.. If we used today's technology on bigger engines, the results would have to be nothing less than amazing.. Bigger engines are on their way - but with high gas prices, I wonder if they'll ever actually happen...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In comparison gas is less today than it was in the early 60's.
$4 per hour was a good wage in those days. Gas cost (ethyl) 50 cents a gal. If you figure that you made 8 times the cost of a gallon of gas.....

Even if gas today was $2 per gallon that would make the average good wage $16 per hour where it is actually over $30 per hour for a trained professional. Say for instance a car mechanic or tradesman.

It seems that the bigger engines that are coming out are not bigger bore & strokes but more cylinders.

Pat.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Even with the advanced technology on the huge engines, they're still going to be gas guzzlers. There is somewhere the point with the highest HP and torque and the most effecient gas consumption. The key is finding. I think the auto industry is going back into the muscle cars.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Yeah but leave it to the Government to screw this up too. If it happened once it can happen again.

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Yeah, let's see what happens.. I still don't know why they stopped the Grand National... Who stopped that anyway? The Lexus GS430 has ultra low emissions with a setup that has the car going 0-60 in 5.8 seconds.. As long as emissions are low, what could they complain about? It's not a gas guzzler...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think that the demise of muscle cars was because they were gas guzzlers. My 425 hp, 409 Chevy got about 10-12 mpg.
Nor do I think it had to do with emissions.

It was that they were affordable and every gearhead from 16-70 years old had a muscle car.

Street racing was out of control. I used to cruise the drive ins looking for people to race with. I always found a drag too.

The youth were out of control.

How do you fix that?

Stop making muscle cars and start a war.

Pat

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
The government has a funny way of not wanting us to have too much fun with our cars...BUT! We ( Being the creative beasts that we are) always seem to find a way around whatever roadblocks they put in front of us. When they made us choke our cars with smog control, We figured out how to make them run in spite of it. When they gave us unrealistic fuel mileage restrictions, We Learned how to get BOTH performance and fuel economy. They can try but they never prevail for long...Being a gearhead is both challenging and fun. Knowuttamean????:D

Attachments

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
No Muscle since the '60's? I'll admit the '70's and '80's were lean on muscle but there were some. mid to late '80's had some VERY quick cars as a matter of fact. Cars that would suck the doors off the best of the '60's cars and still pass emmissions, give you great gas mileage and driveability.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There were a few but most were not American cars.
Plus they cost more than the average millinoaire could afford.
Pat

Attachments

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Yeah, But in the '80s we had the venerable 4.1...130 h.p. 3 ft. lbs. of torque. LOL,LOL...I wasn't too impressed with mine...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
6 Participants
kcnewell