Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I have an 18' XTS with magnetic ride control thinking the ride would be softer than it actually is. Years ago I had a 95' Deville and LOVED the ride! I'm thinking I may get rid of the magnetic ride and go with standard shocks.
I was thinking the same thing but then I traded for the CT6.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The magnetic ride is a good idea but since there is a sport mode it would seem touring would be softer.
Disclaimer, my last caddy was 70's era with 15 in wheels. Soft ride was an understatement ;-)

·
Registered
'08 Escalade AWD, '16 Camaro SS convertible
20 Posts
Ride quality could be why the 2021 Escalade switched to a dual-mode suspension setup (air ride and mag ride) shocks. They must have realized they couldn't line up with the big dogs riding on magnets alone. Also interesting the new silverado switched over to a modification of the autoride (air)

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,075 Posts
"... riding on magnets alone ...." You really need to go back and read the first dozen or so posts. If you believe that quote (and you wrote it) you have absolutely no idea of what you're talking about.

·
Registered
'08 Escalade AWD, '16 Camaro SS convertible
20 Posts
"... riding on magnets alone ...." You really need to go back and read the first dozen or so posts. If you believe that quote (and you wrote it) you have absolutely no idea of what you're talking about.
Jeez tough crowd on here :) Mr. F55 Alpha - I went back through the first dozen or so posts and I didn't see any references to any forum members discussing the 2021 Escalade or T1XX Silverado.

Since you said "I have absolutely no idea what im talking about" maybe you can tell me why GM switched to magnetic ride/air ride combo in the new escalade/denalis ?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,075 Posts
Whether the vehicle has air suspension or spring suspension has very little to do with ride control which is accomplished by hydraulic struts and/or shock absorbers. The design of those control devices can take three variations - strictly passive hydraulics with a fixed oil flow rate, Constantly Variable hydraulics with variable sized oil flow orifices in the pistons, or magnetic ride control in which the fluid is an oil/iron suspension that rapidly changes in viscosity due to changes in a magnetic field - that fluid goes from 10W hydraulic fluid to thick jelly and back in less than .001 second and is the basis for "magnetic ride control" hydraulic piston travel rates. It has nothing to do with "riding on magnets".

·
Registered
2016 CT6 3.0TT Platinum
110 Posts
To my understanding, the air springs control body movement and the magnetorheological shocks control wheel movement. I would imagine this marriage of the two produces a soft-riding vehicle with excellent control and cornering.

·
Registered
'19 CT6 Platinum 3.0TT
574 Posts
To my understanding, the air springs control body movement and the magnetorheological shocks control wheel movement. I would imagine this marriage of the two produces a soft-riding vehicle with excellent control and cornering.
To my understanding springs and shocks both affect body movement. Springs of any kind will bounce the body up and down without shocks, what air springs do is allow for an adjustment of the spring stiffness and ride height. They can be soft or firm, the same with the magnetorheological shocks. They are both adjustable and can be controlled by computers. The advantage of magnetorheological shocks is they can be soft but still provide a non bouncy ride because they adjust so fast, about once every 2 inches at 60 mph. Air springs allow for lifting the back of the truck with a trailer attached. In other words they work together. If I had to choose I'd take the magnetorheological shocks.

·
Registered
2016 CT6 3.0TT Platinum
110 Posts
To my understanding springs and shocks both affect body movement. Springs of any kind will bounce the body up and down without shocks, what air springs do is allow for an adjustment of the spring stiffness and ride height. They can be soft or firm, the same with the magnetorheological shocks. They are both adjustable and can be controlled by computers. The advantage of magnetorheological shocks is they can be soft but still provide a non bouncy ride because they adjust so fast, about once every 2 inches at 60 mph. Air springs allow for lifting the back of the truck with a trailer attached. In other words they work together. If I had to choose I'd take the magnetorheological shocks.
Yes, you are correct - the shocks control the rebound of the springs so that you don’t keep bouncing after hitting a bump, and - in the case of magnetorheological shocks - can also keep the body flat/neutral in turns and stops, imparting greater control and confidence.

In the case of air springs, I was thinking they have variable rates, getting softer or stiffer as needed.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts