Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In September I traded my beloved 2014 XTS luxury version for a 2017 CT6 base model. The XTS had all the bells and whistles and I truly loved it. However the CT6 really caught my eye. Interesting find is that my CT6 with base suspension has a much smoother and softer ride than the XTS with Magnetic Ride. Actually, this is my 5th Cadillac and it’s the best riding yet. Would love to hear feedback.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,051 Posts
Lord/DELPHI Magnetic Ride Control is a high performance suspension system - the struts and shocks are filled with an iron-rich (magnetorheological) hydraulic fluid that, when surrounded by a changing magnetic field, can go from 10W fluid to thick jelly in less than .001 second. That magnetic field acts upon the center piston which moves in a very precise bore - easier and faster with the oily input; slow and hard with the jelly input.

So, some ride and handling comfort is sacrificed for the high performance MRC; the standard suspension setup is more forgiving and mushier. Depends on what the individual wants from the vehicle - sport performance or floaty ride. BUT - most buyers have no idea of what they're buying - "It's a Cadillac" is all that matters.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lord/DELPHI Magnetic Ride Control is a high performance suspension system - the struts and shocks are filled with an iron-rich (magnetorheological) hydraulic fluid that, when surrounded by a changing magnetic field, can go from 10W fluid to thick jelly in less than .001 second. That magnetic field acts upon the center piston which moves in a very precise bore - easier and faster with the oily input; slow and hard with the jelly input.

So, some ride and handling comfort is sacrificed for the high performance MRC; the standard suspension setup is more forgiving and mushier. Depends on what the individual wants from the vehicle - sport performance or floaty ride. BUT - most buyers have no idea of what they're buying - "It's a Cadillac" is all that matters.
Thank you, I agree.

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
2,289 Posts
I have regular shocks in my '19 XTS. Very comfortable ride without being floaty boaty. The loaners I had such as the XT4 with Active Sport Suspension which is from my understanding kind of like MRC I found to be very harsh, but then again all SUV's that I've driven have a harsh ride when compared to a sedan.

·
Administrator
73,051 Posts
Back in the Dark Ages, when SUVs were just catching on over Mom's station wagon, Ford had a series of nasty lawsuits over the supposed Explorer rollover problem. Soft tires, mushy suspension, and driver error in a high center of gravity vehicle was to blame. SO - enter the harsher suspensions, variable rate springs, and other options that - as you observed - gave the average SUV a harder ride than the low-slung mushmobiles. BUT it drastically lowered the rollover event problems.

I grew up in MGs, Austin Healeys, Jaguars, and a Ferrari - so "sport" suspensions are just fine for me. Even at 81 we still get a kick of taking the F55 STS over to Caroline County and letting it all hang out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have regular shocks in my '19 XTS. Very comfortable ride without being floaty boaty. The loaners I had such as the XT4 with Active Sport Suspension which is from my understanding kind of like MRC I found to be very harsh, but then again all SUV's that I've driven have a harsh ride when compared to a sedan.
Thanks. I want my Cadillac to ride like a Cadillac.

·
Registered
2020 CT6 Premium Luxury; 2009 DTS Premium Luxury; 2009 STS V6 AWD & 2002/2000 Eldorado ETC (traded)
237 Posts
In September I traded my beloved 2014 XTS luxury version for a 2017 CT6 base model. The XTS had all the bells and whistles and I truly loved it. However the CT6 really caught my eye. Interesting find is that my CT6 with base suspension has a much smoother and softer ride than the XTS with Magnetic Ride. Actually, this is my 5th Cadillac and it’s the best riding yet. Would love to hear feedback.
When Consumer Reports rated the CT6 a few years back, it was a Luxury version and as I recall, from 2016 or 2017. It had one of the highest Road Test scores and still does but because of reliability issues, it was knocked down in subsequent ratings. That version had the regular suspension. Mine has the Magnetic Ride with 20 inch wheels and seems fine but not as soft obviously as my DTS so there are differences. What size wheels did your XTS have? Tires make a difference as well. Glad you are enjoying your car.

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
2,289 Posts
Back in the Dark Ages, when SUVs were just catching on over Mom's station wagon, Ford had a series of nasty lawsuits over the supposed Explorer rollover problem. Soft tires, mushy suspension, and driver error in a high center of gravity vehicle was to blame. SO - enter the harsher suspensions, variable rate springs, and other options that - as you observed - gave the average SUV a harder ride than the low-slung mushmobiles. BUT it drastically lowered the rollover event problems.

I grew up in MGs, Austin Healeys, Jaguars, and a Ferrari - so "sport" suspensions are just fine for me. Even at 81 we still get a kick of taking the F55 STS over to Caroline County and letting it all hang out.
Yes, I agree. I never drove a mushmobile. I know the XTS on conventional suspension/shocks/struts is not one. It holds the curves tight and level to my perception, and I take some pretty tight curves at a darn good speed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When Consumer Reports rated the CT6 a few years back, it was a Luxury version and as I recall, from 2016 or 2017. It had one of the highest Road Test scores and still does but because of reliability issues, it was knocked down in subsequent ratings. That version had the regular suspension. Mine has the Magnetic Ride with 20 inch wheels and seems fine but not as soft obviously as my DTS so there are differences. What size wheels did your XTS have? Tires make a difference as well. Glad you are enjoying your car.
My XTS had 19” wheels. It road very nicely, I’m just noticing the CT6 being more old school smooth.

·
Registered
2019 CT6 Blackwing, 2014 CTS-V Sport,1987 Buick Grand National,1972 Pontiac,2018 Ram megacab stick
655 Posts
The ct6 is a very advanced chassis and suspension design from the ground up where as the xts is just a rebadged impala. Huge difference.

Sent from my SM-F916U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
The ct6 is a very advanced chassis and suspension design from the ground up where as the xts is just a rebadged impala. Huge difference.

I have an 18 with mag ride. I was surprised at how firm the ride is.
It would be nice to tone down the ride in tour mode. It seems a suspension download would be possible, anyone aware of this being available?

·
Registered
2019 CT6 Platinum
118 Posts
My 2016 CT6 Prem Lux had 19 inch wheels/no mag ride.

My 2019 CT6 Platinum has 20 inch wheels with mag ride.

I much prefer the 2019 because I find it not as harsh even with the 20 inch wheels. Same stock Goodyear's on each.

The 2019 is a firmer ride but is much more compliant and stable. Handling is better. Ride is much more comfortable....again, firmer, but not at all harsh. I was a little concerned about the 20 inch wheels since I came off a 2016 BMW 6 Gran Coupe with 20 inch wheels that drove like an old truck....I replaced 4 tires in less than the 18K miles that I owned that car due to pot hole blow-outs. But those were run-flats which is a whole other story. I have sworn I will never buy a car with run-flats ever again.

·
Registered
2020 CT6 Premium Luxury; 2009 DTS Premium Luxury; 2009 STS V6 AWD & 2002/2000 Eldorado ETC (traded)
237 Posts

Actually, the Impala has a nice ride and has been noted for that but the interior is where it suffers. The XTS has a nice interior with more color choices. Most Impalas have dark interiors and could have looked better on the inside. I looked at the last year of XTS before getting the CT6 and the deals were great but I wanted the larger car.

Rebadging at GM is nothing new. The CT6 is unique in that respect as it did not suffer from that issue but apparently it did not matter in the end.

The CTS was built on the same Alpha platform as the Camaro so the trend continues.

·
Registered
2019 CT6 Blackwing, 2014 CTS-V Sport,1987 Buick Grand National,1972 Pontiac,2018 Ram megacab stick
655 Posts
Actually, the Impala has a nice ride and has been noted for that but the interior is where it suffers. The XTS has a nice interior with more color choices. Most Impalas have dark interiors and could have looked better on the inside. I looked at the last year of XTS before getting the CT6 and the deals were great but I wanted the larger car.

Rebadging at GM is nothing new. The CT6 is unique in that respect as it did not suffer from that issue but apparently it did not matter in the end.

The CTS was built on the same Alpha platform as the Camaro so the trend continues.
The 2014 cts was first, the Camaro is built on the cts alpha platform that was developed for the cts and ats and that is an amazing chassis but also caused the price of the Camaro to be higher. It was a bad idea as it's too expensive for a pony car and the reason there won't be another Camaro. Mustang and challengers are outselling them 2 to 1 because most pony car customers just want style, they don't care about advanced chassis or handling. Especially being that most are V6 or 4 cylinder cars.

As to the xts being more than a rebadged impala, maybe in the car but not in the chassis and suspension which is what we're talking about.

Your right though, in the end all that money they dumped into the alpha and omega platforms was lost because people didn't buy the 4 cars using those platforms because the cost was too high for the typical chevy or cadillac buyer. The cars are amazing but it's simply too late for GM. Everyone has moved on to other brands and aren't willing to give them another chance. They realized this and stopped making chevrolet and buick cars and came out with cadillac cars that are worse than their predecessors but 20k less. Don't take my word for it, all the car mags that raved about the cts said the new models are a step backwards. And don't get me started on the rebadged cadillac crossovers.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The 2014 cts was first, the Camaro is built on the cts alpha platform that was developed for the cts and ats and that is an amazing chassis but also caused the price of the Camaro to be higher. It was a bad idea as it's too expensive for a pony car and the reason there won't be another Camaro. Mustang and challengers are outselling them 2 to 1 because most pony car customers just want style, they don't care about advanced chassis or handling. Especially being that most are V6 or 4 cylinder cars.

As to the xts being more than a rebadged impala, maybe in the car but not in the chassis and suspension which is what we're talking about.

Your right though, in the end all that money they dumped into the alpha and omega platforms was lost because people didn't buy the 4 cars using those platforms because the cost was too high for the typical chevy or cadillac buyer. The cars are amazing but it's simply too late for GM. Everyone has moved on to other brands and aren't willing to give them another chance. They realized this and stopped making chevrolet and buick cars and came out with cadillac cars that are worse than their predecessors. Don't take my word for it, all the car mags that raved about the cts said the new models are a step backwards. And don't get me started on the rebadged cadillac crossovers.
You bring up a lot of valid points but as far as the chassis and suspension issues, newer does not always mean better. I liked the XTS in general when I had loaners, but the DTS still had/has the overall better ride. CT6 is firmer but compliant as other have said and I agree.

GM should have kept the Impala and Lacrosse a bit longer as they were still selling decently, more than XTS at least in US. But I think they are considered cars for older people and GM is targeting another customer with the EV future.

I do see more Challengers than Mustangs and Camaros but not sure how many of those are the V8 ones vs V6.

The car mags are giving the CT5-V some love but not the plain CT5:

·
Registered
2019 Cadillac CT6 PremLux replacing 2017 CT6#2, Replacing CT6#1
222 Posts
... regarding the magnetic ride, I owned two 17's CT6's with it and now a '19 without it. I swear I can tell no difference. In my humble opinion, it's a silly and expensive option that really doesn't do much. Ask a Cadillac mechanic and most will agree.

·
Cadillac Owners Troll
2019 CT6 Sport 3.0TT,2015 Luxury ATS , 2016 ELR, and Volt
2,433 Posts
For me the 2019 sport has a great balance of ride motions, impact harshness and road isolation with the base suspension--much better than the CTS I traded. Whenever I rent on business I try to get an XTS which I like a lot. It is very spacious, good power and just as nice if not nicer inside than the CT6. Since I'm an engineer and car nut I definitely wanted the CT6 but for most people the XTS is just fine.

·
Administrator
73,051 Posts
I own a F55 STS and work on another, plus helping with maintenance on three FE1 SLS and a FE1 ESC. There is no question (night and day) that the F55/FE3 system out-maneuvers the soft FE1 system by a large margin.

BUT the later MRC vehicles may well have different suspension tuning than the 2002.5 - 2004 STS which was the production test mule for the Lord/DELPHI MRC systems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 18' XTS with magnetic ride control thinking the ride would be softer than it actually is. Years ago I had a 95' Deville and LOVED the ride! I'm thinking I may get rid of the magnetic ride and go with standard shocks.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts