Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
All the new car brochures list the wheelbase in millimeters! Try figuring that out! We have Trudeau to thank for the stupid metric system in 1977. At that time, my father was mad because as a mechanic, he had to buy all new tools in metric. I guess gas went down yesterday to 72.9 cents a litre, but premium is 78.9, which is not too bad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
High Octane

gspencer914 said:
just one thing to say! If you buy your gas from JOE BOBS country store you dont know what your getting or where its comming from. Most of the time its from the LOWEST BIDDER in turn equals more deposits and less additives. BUY from companys that have shown they dont cheat the consumer with thier gas. EXXON-MOBIL, CHEVRON, CITGO, ect ect. George

I use to work on the Ohio river for a tow boat company who handled and delivered all the fuel barges that went to all the major oil company's, their were only 3 different types of fuel on the barges, Regular,Super, and Deisel. The barges from the Ohio refinery went to Ashland and Chevron, the barges from down south went to Citgo and Marathon, but BP had their own pipe line. These 5 oil company's distributed the fuel to "ALL" of the Southern Indiana and Northern Kentucky gas stations. It's all the same fuel no matter where you buy it, but the Super barges do have much better gas on them than the regular barges, so i prefer the high octane for my car, and Chevron does add Techron to their gas which is great for keeping the injecters clean and i have noticed my car gets better mileage and runs much better on the higher octane fuel. I like to do business with the lowest price gas stations, this week i paid $1.29 per gallon at a Marathon station, Look for the Deals! You drive the Best cars made in the U.S.A. Give them what they deserve High Octane Fuel.

Mike Johnson
Sound Advantage
Car Audio & Electronics
Louisville, Kentucky
(502)455-6191

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
I wasn't going to get involved with this thread but after reading Mike's post, I felt the need to make a comment.
Mike is right, the gas stations in your area most likely do get their fuel from the same couple sources. I used to run a fleet and we pumped our own gas and diesel. There were only a couple fuel farms near us in Mercer County NJ. One fed from Phila. and the other out of Newark I think it was. Either way, all the local stations regardless of brand recieved their fuel from these same couple sources. The only differences were in the additive packages that some add at the truck or tank. So as Mike said, generally speaking, you should just shop price.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I agree with that Kevin! My neighbor drives a tanker truck......He picks the gas up at the same farm as the name brand trucks do! He delivers to Chevron as well as Rotten Robbies......Same gas in the tanks! I shop price! It's foolish not to 'cause the gas all comes from the same place!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mike, Kevin and Kenewell,

Great insider info on gas quality. I will switch to those non brand name gas stations for 93 octane gas.

Thanks.

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
kevinK said:
Mike, Kevin and Kenewell,

Great insider info on gas quality. I will switch to those non brand name gas stations for 93 octane gas.

Thanks.
Before you switch reread the post about the different additive packages added to the different brands of fuel.... There IS a difference in the quality and quantity of the additive packages in the different brands of fuels. The additives keep injectors clean and eliminate intake and exhaust valve deposits. Cheap gas can be made cheaper by poor, few or no additive package. The higher price of the brand name gas may not totally justify the difference in price .... but there is a cost involved in service and time when injectors develope deposits and such.....

·
Registered
06 DTS Luxury II-?, 98 Eldorado-Crimson Pearl
512 Posts
I live in North Dakota and we have extreme temperatures both in winter cold and summer heat. Right now gas is $1.85/gallon for the highest octane we can get which is 91 octane. I use this most of the time. But if my budget is tight I use the next in line which is 89 or 90. I have never experienced a problem with these octane readings and have been using them interchangeably on all my vehicles for about 10 years. The only problem I have ever had with gas was when I filled up at stations such as: Conoco, Cenex... Around here we also have Tesoro which used to be Amoco and is really BP. I faithfully fill up there and have never had a problem with knocking. When I did use Conoco it was unbelievable how poor my fuel economy, hesitation, knocking, etc. I was shocked by how much of a difference it made. :werd: It was like night and day. Anyway my point is use Premium whenever possible but 89 seems to be ok as well.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thats weird about the Conoco. I use 89 octane all the time in my 90 DeVille and I don't have any knocking or pinging at all. I have never used anything less than 89 though. Also I only get gas from my local Conoco station and have never had a problem with their gas. I get about 26 - 27 MPG on the highway and no knocking with the 89.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I get knocking with 87, no knocking with 93, regardless brands.

I have not used 89 yet.

Can someone prove that name brands put additives in their tank?

I doubt it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's not too bad, that's per gallon. Where I am it's per litre!! I think 4.5 litres make up a gallon. PS I hate the metric system, if it is so good, then why didn't the U.S. adopt it.:banghead2
Actually, a liter is a little more than a quart, so it would take something like 3.5 liters to equal one U.S. gallon. I have lived and had automobiles in both the U.S. and Europe where metric is used on that continent, of course.

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
9,235 Posts
Actually, a liter is a little more than a quart, so it would take something like 3.5 liters to equal one U.S. gallon. I have lived and had automobiles in both the U.S. and Europe where metric is used on that continent, of course.
Welcome to the forums, Paul-

You're responding to a banned poster in a 17 year old thread.
Be sure to check the dates and member stats if you're expecting a reply.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,886 Posts
He also posted his 1997 STS (Seville Touring Sedan) info in the Sigma-body "STS" forum.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,863 Posts
======================
Actually, a liter is a little more than a quart, so it would take something like 3.5 liters to equal one U.S. gallon
better 17 YEARS late - than never - I 'spose -
you'll find that we like to be EXACT - with FACTS -
3.78541 liters = 0.9999995287 gallon -

ya - we're funnin with ya -

·
Registered
Something German S, 69 Eldorado, 68 Impala, If I tell you the rest, well
504 Posts
The bottle says 1.0 gallons. I'm missing a drop, I want my money back!

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,863 Posts
The bottle says 1.0 gallons. I'm missing a drop, I want my money back!
====================
sounds like a class action lawsuit might be in order -

·
Registered
Black/Black 2013 CTS Sedan 3.0L RWD (98k miles)
1,186 Posts
I use Costco so my only options are 87 and 91. So I go with the 87.

I have tried 89 at regular pumps to see if it makes a difference but don't notice any. I heard the 91 is just a waste of money, but sometimes the 89 can help run smoother engine since sometimes the 87 mix isn't done right it may be slightly under.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts