Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1976 Seville
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just bought a 85 Seville. Body and interior are very nice. The engine wasn’t running well at all. The problems I have figured out so far.
The bad
- The little rubber in the front of the intake manifold had moved. It was leaking oil there.
- The water pump was leaking I think. There was coolant all over the cross bar under the waterpump. So could have been somewhere else.
- The power steering pump was leaking somewhere too.
- The timing gear is metal, but I can move the chain with my hands. So that has to be replaced too.
- I just drove the car up my driveway. I don’t know if there are any other issues.
The good
- Did a block test, and no combustion gasses in coolant
- Did a compression test on all the cylinders and they were 1-150, 2-145, 3-150, 4-140, 5-140, 6-140, 7-135, 8-150
- #7 is a bit low, but its probably ok.
-
I have ordered a stack of parts, including a new camshaft (SEALED POWER HT969
), distributor gear (Delco) , oil pump rebuild kit, lifters (Sealed Power) and springs. The engine is very, very dirty.

Really not sure if I should take the engine out or keep it in the car.? Or what to do?
My initial thoughts are to keep the engine in the car. Lift it up a bit and take the oil pan out. That way I can also clean under there. I can put a new cam in by just taking the radiator and condenser out. New engine mounts while I am in there.
I can do the camshaft, timing gear, lifters, springs, intake manfold gasket, oil pan gasket etc. These are things I have done before. I haven’t done a camshaft, but its seems straight forward enough.

I would be over my head putting in new pistons, rings and other bottom end work. I am scared touching the heads because of stories I have read about bolts or pieces of the block breaking off after all these years. I haven’t ever done a crankshaft either, on the other hand, how difficult is it just putting in new bearings? I know that the #1 bearing has to be bigger than the others to prevent knock. I don’t know if that had been done in the past. I don’t want to put it all together to find out that there is a bad bearing. Also not sure which set of bearings to by either. Rock Auto has a few sets, but the Enginetech brands are a lot cheaper than the Sealed Power or Clevite. I would prefer the more expensive brands

I don’t want to spend too much on the engine. I bought the car because of the body and the interior and paid pretty much scrap yard prices for it. I can order a new engine tomorrow, or have someone else rebuild it for me, but part of the old car hobby is doing stuff myself and learning as I go along. I just don’t want to mess this up and after I am done, I don’t want to have to redo anything.
So what are my options? Keep it in the car? Take it out? Which parts to replace now so I don’t have to do it again in a few years.
I am in no rush. This is a long term project. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1976 Seville
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually like the 4100. Its a very smooth engine when it runs right. And besides, this is the engine the car came with. Driving it on weekends and now and again this engine is going to have an easy life. Should take many decades to make 100,000 miles. Took the hood off tonight. Its all the way now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts