Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2006 sts v
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the general consensus is that the 4.4 L SC is close to being maxed out at 470 HP at the crank, with the potential of modifying it up to maybe 550 at the crank....what weight-loss benefit could we achieve by changing out the front fenders, hood and trunk to race-weight fiberglass and changing out the wheels to magnesium or?

Seems to me that increasing the HP up to 550 and reducing the weight by 400 lbs might keep us out in front of those butt-ugly Charger SRT-8's. LOL!

·
Registered
CTS-V (Black 2014), CTS-V (Red obsession 2014)
776 Posts
Why; you can still beat most cars you see on the road :)
I would be afraid that fiberglass panels would look poor and not offer any sound or crash protection.
The SRT8 is one hell of a car, and a great value, but I would not be worried about them (or anything else).
The STS-V seems to be in a class of it's own, and I was always proud to drive the one I had. I did modify it a little, because hey; everyone needs more power!

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac STS-V Black On Black
1,428 Posts
Why; you can still beat most cars you see on the road :)
I would be afraid that fiberglass panels would look poor and not offer any sound or crash protection.
The SRT8 is one hell of a car, and a great value, but I would not be worried about them (or anything else).
The STS-V seems to be in a class of it's own, and I was always proud to drive the one I had. I did modify it a little, because hey; everyone needs more power!
I didn't know you had one, thought you just had the CTS-V's! Did you get rid of it because you got the CTS-V?

·
Registered
2006 STS-V and 2007 STS-V The Murdalac
1,905 Posts
The seats weigh a ton. You could easily drop 200lbs by removing the three seats you don't need if you are racing.

·
Registered
2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4
1,420 Posts
I don't get it. You bought a Cadillac for luxury. Luxury adds weight. Sound deadening material, additional electronics, features, etc, etc. Then you want to go remove it all to reduce weight to make it a race car.

If you want a race car, go buy an LS1 powered F-Body for <$5k, gut it (because there isn't much of quality there to begin with... and before someone barks, I had a '98 and worked on them for a living at one time, so I speak from experience), mod it as necessary (especially a better rear-end), and be done.

Aside from fit and quality of fiberglass parts, they're a pain to do body work on, prep, paint, and would likely never match well with the rest of your body/paint, while parts like fenders aren't "structural", they are designed to withstand certain forces and crumple in certain ways during impacts to assist that structure underneath. So by replacing them, you've now potentially negated your safety.

I'm not trying to come off mean, but I bought a Cadillac because I wanted Cadillac comfort and luxury.

·
Registered
'06 STS-V, '17 CTS-V
777 Posts
Concur with the above. There are lower priced cars out there with bigger motors, stronger drive trains, and bargain basement interiors that can be modified more easily and cheaply. There is no replacement for displacement. No matter what we do, no matter what the weight (within reason), a supercharged 267 small block is going to get lit up by a blown big block. The only question is, how much money and comfort do you want to lose in the process of, well, losing? I can smoke 99% of what's out there, and I can do it with a heated seat, auto wipers, and auto high beams, to name a few amenities. And when I'm done thrashing it, I can take clients out for business, or my wife and kid to a classy dining establishment, without looking like a Fast & Furious devotee.

·
Registered
CTS-V (Black 2014), CTS-V (Red obsession 2014)
776 Posts
I didn't know you had one, thought you just had the CTS-V's! Did you get rid of it because you got the CTS-V?
Yes, the STS-V was replaced by a CTS-V. The STS-V was a hell of a car though. It looked like nothing else on the road, was plenty fast, and had more "luxury" (and driving gadgets) than the CTS-V2 does.

·
Registered
08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 13 cts vagon
1,611 Posts
Trust me dropping those couple pounds off the nose isn't going to help ask me how I know.

----------

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac STS-V Black On Black
1,428 Posts
^ Haha sweet ride no doubt but I think he's talking a couple hundred pounds!

·
Registered
2017xts vsport platinum, 2011EXT, gt500
1,019 Posts
Ps. In red light racing its all about launch.get higher traction tires that wont blow out the rear, i have michelin ss pilots summer tiires. Also when you stage put one foot on brake and rev your engine to at least 2000.try ut wirh and wuthout traction control

·
Registered
08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 13 cts vagon
1,611 Posts
^ Haha sweet ride no doubt but I think he's talking a couple hundred pounds!

He said in first post. Hood/fenders/ truck. To some thing like fiberglass. I have the hood / fenders. The only way you're getting a couple hundred pounds out of this car is if you're ready to get rid of your nice interior.

·
Registered
2006 STS-V
45 Posts
Hi,
I was refered to you by another member, What was involved with the hood vents and front fender vents and did it make that much of a difference in he under hood temps.
I sat at the table the other night and was thinking about hood vents. What I came up with was similar to yours, Mine longer but not as wide. I was thinking of Carbon Fiber inserts in another V-hood and keeping mine untouched. If you were doing this again would you do anything different? DSC04290.JPG DSC04293.JPG

·
Registered
'06 STS-V, '17 CTS-V
777 Posts
Hi,
I was refered to you by another member, What was involved with the hood vents and front fender vents and did it make that much of a difference in he under hood temps.
I sat at the table the other night and was thinking about hood vents. What I came up with was similar to yours, Mine longer but not as wide. I was thinking of Carbon Fiber inserts in another V-hood and keeping mine untouched. If you were doing this again would you do anything different? View attachment 363945 View attachment 363953
Hood and fenders were from D3 and from what Ryan said the fiberglass hood is hard to keep together with holes in it...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts