Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CTS 3.6L
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've got a 2006 CTS 3.6L and I have the same exhaust setup as this video but the drone inside the car is horrendous. I like the tone (it's not much like the video though interestingly enough) and the volume outside, but inside is unbearable. Any suggestions for reducing the sound level inside the car but maintaining the tone?

·
Registered
2006 CTS sport model/package
1,058 Posts
Well this interesting. I actually just priced out a muffler and xpipe to do this same set up. I'm just curious what you used for an xpipe? Magnaflow has a nice tru x pipe. When I talked to a tech guy there he said that the tru x pipe is suppose to help reduce drone. Also if you didn't use a quality muffler that may be part of it. Designing an exhaust to have no drone is extremely hard. Corsa is known to have almost no drone. So, for a home made setup, you may be SOL

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Well, that's shitty to hear. I will be doing the same set up soon. Hope I don't get the drone. I wonder if maybe moving the muffler forward or back a bit helps. I read somewhere that the length of the pipes and the sound resonating in the pipes contributes to drone.

·
Registered
2006 CTS 3.6L
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good luck, I seriously regret it. Gonna be a huge waste of money to get the stock ones reinstalling, assuming I can find them somewhere. They don't appear to be online.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
Good luck, I seriously regret it. Gonna be a huge waste of money to get the stock ones reinstalling, assuming I can find them somewhere. They don't appear to be online.
Trade your system with someone else looking for magnaflows for a straight trade. If you're decent with a sawzall, you can cut it to where you might not need major pipe bending and welding when the stocks come in.

·
Registered
'07 CTS 3.6
2,937 Posts
I thought it had been established that an 'H' pipe was better than an 'X' pipe for these cars.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Argent1 said:
I thought it had been established that an 'H' pipe was better than an 'X' pipe for these cars.
That's what I was going to use. But, the guy at magnaflow said they started using tru x pipes instead of the H pipe. He said the H pipe makes too much turbulence in the exhaust. I still might go with the H pipe. Especially now that others are mentioning drone.

Sandalet, does that mean you are happy, or unhappy with the sound?

·
Registered
CTS-2003, 3.2 automatic
635 Posts
At first I liked it, then I was irritated, then I'm used to)))
I will be adding 2 more rear mufflers. When I'll be a little rich)))

·
Registered
629 Posts
Imo- instead of removing your nice aftermarket muffler, try removing the h or x pipe and put the oem resonator back on (or combo w a aftermarket resonator) to try and reduce the drone. I personally have h pipe w factory mufflers and theres no drone. but while we are talking about being rich one day.. i would try sum quality high flow cats. Mybe sum corsa mufflers like mentioned above..

----------

That's what I was going to use. But, the guy at magnaflow said they started using tru x pipes instead of the H pipe. He said the H pipe makes too much turbulence in the exhaust. I still might go with the H pipe. Especially now that others are mentioning drone.

Sandalet, does that mean you are happy, or unhappy with the sound?
My girlfriend mustang gt cs came stock w an h pipe.. thing sounded amazing. i would ask magnaflow why ford would do it, if it didnt benifit the exhaust at all.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
ztollon said:
Imo- instead of removing your nice aftermarket muffler, try removing the h or x pipe and put the oem resonator back on (or combo w a aftermarket resonator) to try and reduce the drone. I personally have h pipe w factory mufflers and theres no drone. but while we are talking about being rich one day.. i would try sum quality high flow cats. Mybe sum corsa mufflers like mentioned above..

----------

My girlfriend mustang gt cs came stock w an h pipe.. thing sounded amazing. i would ask magnaflow why ford would do it, if it didnt benifit the exhaust at all.
Oh I hear ya. I love the sound of the Stang. Lots of them have H pipes, that's why I still might try it instead of the X

·
Registered
158 Posts
One thing you can do to silence the drone, and keep your exhaust, is to wrap the pipes and muffler.
These kits are designed to keep heat inside the piping (lots of turbo people use it), but will also deaden the sound that resinates from the piping and muffler, while the sound leaving the tips will be unchanged.
Just look for exhaust header wrap kits (you may need to buy 2 sets). I have done this before on another vehicle, and it made a dramatic difference.....you will need to wrap the x-pipe and muffler.

Here are some web pics of the stuff I have used:

and

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
DeFo said:
One thing you can do to silence the drone, and keep your exhaust, is to wrap the pipes and muffler.
These kits are designed to keep heat inside the piping (lots of turbo people use it), but will also deaden the sound that resinates from the piping and muffler, while the sound leaving the tips will be unchanged.
Just look for exhaust header wrap kits (you may need to buy 2 sets). I have done this before on another vehicle, and it made a dramatic difference.....you will need to wrap the x-pipe and muffler.

Here are some web pics of the stuff I have used:

and
I wouldn't suggest that procedure if you live in an area that gets lots of rain/snow and salt. Wrapping stuff and always getting them wet will rot them out in a hurry.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I wouldn't suggest that procedure if you live in an area that gets lots of rain/snow and salt. Wrapping stuff and always getting them wet will rot them out in a hurry.
This type of wrapping has been used for decades and holds up against extremely high heat.....I doubt some snow/water/salt will hurt the wrapping, once you wrap the piping, you spray on the silicone which seems to seal it all up.
I didn't have any problems with rotting on other vehicles, but I do live in a dry climate.

·
Registered
2003 CTS LS Auto.
44 Posts
I also used the setup and had the same issue with lots of drone. I added two Magnaflow Mufflers and think it sounds great now. A lot quieter with a deep rich rumble (especially when you get on it).

·
Registered
2006 CTS 3.6L
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I also used the setup and had the same issue with lots of drone. I added two Magnaflow Mufflers and think it sounds great now. A lot quieter with a deep rich rumble (especially when you get on it).
Thanks, I will probably go this route. Do you know which mufflers you got?

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,027 Posts
An exhaust setup with mufflers towards the middle of the car and long tail pipes is prone to drone because those long tail pipes act like organ pipes. There's some frequency at which they'll resonate, and if that frequency happens to match an RPM band that you use a lot, it's damn annoying. It's a very common problem on the Fox and SN95 Mustangs because the mufflers are under the middle of the car - I've had multiple setups on my '89 Mustang and they've all droned to some extent. Most cars nowadays have the mufflers out back; I imagine one reason for that is that it's easier for the engineers to tune the exhaust sound without dealing with a long, resonating tail pipe.

I'd bet that replacing the Magnaflow dual in/out muffler with mufflers back in the stock location (like joartstewey) would fix the issue.

I must have missed where the Magnaflow guy said that an H-pipe wouldn't benefit the exhaust at all. An H-pipe is not as efficient a cross-over as an X-pipe, and does not enhance scavenging as well as an X-pipe. However, an H-pipe is definitely better than not having a cross-over at all. X-pipes tend to have a higher pitch, particularly at high RPMs, which is probably why Ford has always used H-pipes over the years - to give the Mustang a deeper exhaust tone. X-pipes are also more finicky than H-pipes when it comes to placement - in order to get the max scavenging benefit from them, they need to be properly placed, which may not always be possible with OEM packaging constraints.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts