Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
CTS-V
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I have had a sense of reduced steering feel and input. The steering feels rather heavy when going around turns. I have checked tire pressures and the power steering fluid. I rotated the tires to see if the wear pattern on the front tires was the problem, but that didn't help either. I understand the steering has an electrical assist, but what else could affect the steering feel? Anyone else have this problem?

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,358 Posts
I don't know anything about the steering having electric assist. It could be your PS pump is dying.

·
Registered
05 Raven V
951 Posts
Lately I have had a sense of reduced steering feel and input. The steering feels rather heavy when going around turns. I have checked tire pressures and the power steering fluid. I rotated the tires to see if the wear pattern on the front tires was the problem, but that didn't help either. I understand the steering has an electrical assist, but what else could affect the steering feel? Anyone else have this problem?
Flush out your power steering reservoir. I changed mine yesterday (and clutch as well - it was getting soft) went from a very weighted steering feel to one finger driving again.

·
Registered
CTS-V
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Flush out your power steering reservoir. I changed mine yesterday (and clutch as well - it was getting soft) went from a very weighted steering feel to one finger driving again.
Good idea. I will put that on my list when draining the transmission and the rear diff. Any instructions on how to drain the power steering pump?

·
Registered
05 Raven V
951 Posts
Turkey Baster.
Yup! LOL so ghetto but;

get a big can of fluid, fill the thing up, turn the wheel a bunch of times, suck out, repeat over and over until totally clear liquid is what you're sucking out again. Took me about 15 min.

I did the clutch at the same time, same method but pumping the clutch instead. Fluid was black.... Dot 4 brake fluid works great, clutch feel has totally been restored.

Have fun ;)

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
FLUSHING THE POWER STEERING SYSTEM
1. Turn off engine.
2. Raise the front wheels off the ground so that the front wheels turn freely.
3. Place a large container under the fluid return hose in order to collect fluid.
4. Remove the fluid return pump at the power steering pump reservoir.
5. Plug the reservoir return hose inlet connection on the power steering pump.
Important-
This procedure may require 4 quarts of power steering fluid until the draining fluid appears clear.
Do not run the engine without the power steering fluid level at FULL COLD.
6. Run the engine at idle while an assistant maintains the fluid level at FULL COLD in the reservoir using new approved power steering fluid.
7. Turn off engine.
8. Turn the steering wheel fully to the left and right.
9. Remove the plug from the pump reservoir inlet connection.
10. Install the fluid return hose to the pump reservoir.
11. Maintain the fluid at FULL COLD.
12. Operate the engine at idle approximately 15 minutes.
13. Repeat Steps 3-5.
14. Inspect the power steering fluid for the following indications of contamination:
a. Milky Fluid – water
b. Brown Fluid – burnt
c. Plastic debris or dirt chunks.
15. Remove the plug from the pump reservoir inlet connection.
16. Remove the plug from the pump reservoir inlet connection.
17. Clean any spilled fluid.
18. Bleed the power steering system.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,358 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
I am aware that there is such a thing in this world as variable assist power steering. I was not aware that the CTS-V has it.

I still say you should check your PS pump. Of course, that was based on assuming when you checked your fluid you did more than just check the level.
My Service Manual covers both the CTS-V and the CTS for 2005. It includes a discussion of VES (Variable Effort Steering), but if I am reading it correctly it only applies to the CTS with the FE3 suspension. In any event if there is a problem with it a DTC C0450 sets and stays in the ECM memory.

(There is nothing new about this - my 1997 Chevy Suburban has it. When a sensor goes out the steering gets weird.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts