Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 3.6 auto
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to wait to post until I completely used a full quart of oil, but I couldn't contain myself. Another recent poster may be glad too...

When I bought my 2004 3.6 auto with 55k miles, I was using a quart every 850 miles.

After completing my Auto-Rx treatment, I have gone 850 miles on a half-quart.

Meaning, at the last oil change I poured in 6 quarts and now the stick is on the middle of the 3 dots.

I'll post again when it uses another half quart.

I have used Auto-Rx on other cars in the past and have always benefited to some degree.

No, I am not affiliiated with Auto-Rx, so go to their website to find out more. I think its Auto-Rx.com. Bobistheoilguy.com loves auto-rx too.

I was using/adding Mobil1(5w30) when I first got the car, but used Valvoline 10w40 synthetic during the cleaning phase and now I'm using Penzoil Platinum synthetic 10w30 from here on out. I don't need 5w30 in Los Angeles.

Normally the cleaning phase is 2500 miles with dino oil but it I used 10w40synth for 3000 miles during this phase. (This was suggested by Frank at auto-rx).

I'm not thrilled about (a projected) 1700 miles per quart, but I can live with it. And who knows? Maybe it will get better ! I'll let you know.

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
How is it going with the Auto-RX helping out on the oil consumption. We bought a 05' w/10Kmiles and I have done 3 oil changes myself so far(milage now is 29K) and noticed to be about 2 -3 quarts low at each change. Been thinking about using Auto-RX.

Rob
Hou, TX

·
Registered
2004 3.6 auto
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi.

Auto-Rx is worth doing.

It has helped but not as much as I hoped.

I'd say I went from 800-850 miles per quart to 1100-1300 per quart of oil.

Long trips seems to use at the 1100 rate and commuting is closer to the 1300 rate.

I am using Penzoil Platinum 10w30.

Try it. Maybe your results will be better?

Good Luck!

·
Registered
NONE
1,423 Posts
Try another brand of oil. Some oils have high volatility rates (boils off from engine heat) and that brand seems to be one of those. I have seen it before. Every time they serviced our fleet trucks with it, they were a qt low in 1,000 miles, if they used another brand it would not need oil.

If you use good oil you don't need those "snake oil" products, you are just wasting your money IMO.

PS-I got over 4500 miles on my 2009 CTS4 with the oem fill of Mobil 1 and it is still on the full mark. Go figure? I here of people using a qt every 1,000 miles and can't figure it out. Are you hot-rodding the engine a lot? Running up into the high rpm's? That can increase oil consumption.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts