Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 Seville STS with bose system and I would like to upgrade my system. Speakers, head unit, an amp or two, a sub box, etc. And I know that some people have had problems with the cadillac cars when messing with this stuff. So I have a few questions. First, will I have trouble sticking new 6x9s in and taking thsoe speakers grills off? Second, will i run into trouble sticking a single din head unit in? It doesnt have steering wheel controls but people have said it messes up your computer too. And how much do those little amps on the 5.25s put out? Thanks in advance for all the help.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Ok, first you wont mess anything up by taking the headunit out. In 95 it wasn't hooked up to the computer, so you can rip it out. In order to get to the rear speakers you have to take the back seat out, once you get the seat out the speakers just pop out. The door speakers are 3-1/4 inch and I believe the amp are rated at 100 watts each.

·
Registered
86 Posts
JC316 said:
Ok, first you wont mess anything up by taking the headunit out. In 95 it wasn't hooked up to the computer, so you can rip it out. In order to get to the rear speakers you have to take the back seat out, once you get the seat out the speakers just pop out. The door speakers are 3-1/4 inch and I believe the amp are rated at 100 watts each.
You can replace the front speakers with 6.5" coaxials or components by making a speaker plate to mount the speakers in. Just remove the complete bose speaker box that's mounted in the door panel and then you can fabricate a baffle. Here's a picture of what I did for my son's 94 STS. The speakers are Boston Pro 6.5's. If you're going to amplify the front speakers and run a seperate amp and sub, then I would suggest not even going with rear speakers.

http://img495.imageshack.us/img495/3623/cadillacspeakerbaffles46br.jpg

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks for all the help guys, Im gonna go get a new HU today and take a look at the speakers grills on the doors.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What kind of subwoofer would you recommend for someone who likes alot of bass but doesnt wanna have glass shattering bass going through the neighborhood.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Aphix said:
Ok thanks for all the help guys, Im gonna go get a new HU today and take a look at the speakers grills on the doors.
Do not try and take the grills off the front doors as these are snapped in there and you could possibly break the tabs. Removing the grills won't accomplish much anyway. You need to pull the door panel off and pull the box for the Bose speakers completely out. You can then make some speaker plates to cover that area to run coaxials or seperates. I just mounted a pair of Boston Pro 6.5's in my sons 94 Seville STS and they fit perfectly. Do a search for my post about this and you can see the plates with the speakers mounted and where I mounted the crossovers. It's not that hard to do. Good luck

·
Registered
86 Posts
Aphix said:
What kind of subwoofer would you recommend for someone who likes alot of bass but doesnt wanna have glass shattering bass going through the neighborhood.
I like Aluminum Eclipse subs as they have a good mixture of sound quality with some hard hitting bass. I've also heard good things about the Alpine Type R subs as they are more readily available. I would suggest either a single 10" or even a 12" if you want it a little louder. My son is currently running a single 10" Eclipse Aluminum (mine that's on loan) with a 330 watt PG amp and it hits pretty hard for a moderate setup.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can replace the front speakers with 6.5" coaxials or components by making a speaker plate to mount the speakers in. Just remove the complete bose speaker box that's mounted in the door panel and then you can fabricate a baffle.
Hey maxtorque, when you put those 6.5s in did you just have to take some of that fiberboard/cardboard stuff and fasten it on or was it more complicated than that? Because 3-1/4 is really small lol.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
The fiberboard should work fine. You can use pretty mush anything you want. I use a plexiglass knock off to make mine, but the formica fiberboard will work just fine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh thats cool. Will I run into any problems, where Im gonna need to modify anything or cut?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
You really don't have to cut or modify anything. Just take the door panel off, pull the screws that hold the bose enclosure on, install your mounting material and install your new speaker. The rears are basicly drop in's. Obiviously you will have to run new wires from the headunit and/or amp to the speakers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts