Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
1979 Phaeton Coupe, 1990 Brougham d'Elegance 5.7 liter
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My new project - Victory Red 1979 Coupe DeVille progress thread.

Yes..... I bought it.

I like how Rick has a running thread for his '89 Brougham, so I decided to do the same type of thing, whenever I make progress on the car, I'll post here.

Went over this afternoon and worked out the deal. It started on the first try, but took a few gallons of gas to keep it going. I drove it home six miles without a hitch, after sitting for a year and a half. It looks rough, but all of the power accessories work; windows, locks, trunk, seats, lights, everything. It drives nice, and the doors close very solid. 133,000 miles, I need to change the oil, and it has a tick. Although it's getting better the more I drive it. I cleaned the exterior up, it was FILTHY. Then I rubbing compounded a spot on the hood to see what it'll look like. The paint is actually in nice condition under all the oxidation. Just have to worry about the rust spots. Oh, and it turned out that the wheel covers were in the trunk! So I put those on. Also, I noticed of all things, it has Gabriel HiJacker rear air shocks, just like the ones I put in my Phaeton. It needs tires, these are too big (225 series, 215 is correct for a Deville) and they're just ugly in general, but at least it doesn't have black walls! This car seems to have had a diverse history, nit sure where it's originally from. I know it spent some time in Indiana, and Chicago, then ended up here. The previous owner - judging from the bumper stickers - seemed to be a pro cop, jesus loving gimp. The interior is just filthy, there was a two year old Burger king sack with stuff still in it. That's all that needs to be said. Although it does have all four original floor mats.

Anyway, I know it looks like a hunk of shit to most of you, but I'll make it shine. Here are some pictures of how it looks now. I need help thinking of a name, suggestions? I get a female vibe.

Yes, that is moss growing on the car.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
04 ESV Platinum, 96 Eldorado Coachbuilder LTD, 96 FWB
1,044 Posts
Your neghibors must think you are crazy... But give it time and they wont even know its the same car.

This one will def. test your "detailing" skills.

I just got that fleetwood coupe home....

So... READY SET GO!!!!!

Though your already ahead, you have keys and a title.... lol
I cant wait to see progress

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol, yes they do. Although at least the ones on my right are also car people, so they partially understand. Although other people that live in my neighborhood would drive by and look in like 'WTF? another one!' lol.

You'll get a head start, I won't have too much time to do more work on mine until the weekend. That spot I polished on the hood gives me hope. Glad you got the coupe! I hadn't heard.

·
Registered
79 coupe deville d'elegance (76k og), 84 coupe deville
114 Posts
how bad is the rust at the bottom of the vinyl top? usually its the worst places. that rear bumper looks rough too. but hey all 4 wheelcovers and all 4 floor mats. sounds like a good find.

still starting with a better foundation then i have at the moment lol. good looking lac cant wait to see it resurrected!

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, the rust isn't as bad as it looks, mostly just loose paint and runs. Probably this weekend I'll take off all the loose stuff and sand it down. After I get the rust off, I'll probably just prime & paint it as I don't want to get it all full of bondo if I'm going to have it redone eventually anyway. That's the worst rust on the whole car. That and the rear bumper... that thing is shot. I'll have to replace it sometime. It's pretty solid for spending some time up north though. I thought about flipping it, but it runs so nicely I think I'll keep it around.

·
Registered
04 ESV Platinum, 96 Eldorado Coachbuilder LTD, 96 FWB
1,044 Posts
Im probably not going to do much to it till i go threw this title process....

We both have very very dirty diamonds in the rough.....

Gotta love a bright red caddy with a white top hat.

What did you use to shine the hood?

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I've always loved big '70s caddies in red, but never got to own one 'till now. When i was five or six, my neighbor let me sit behind the wheel of her red on red with a white top '74 Eldorado. I've been hooked ever since then.

To shine the hood I just used liquid rubbing compound applied to a damp kitchen sponge, followed by scratch remover. It's not the full process I'll use on the whole car, I didn't even clay bar it, just wanted to see how it would basically look. I'm going to get a porter-cable buffer to do the rest of the car, my old buffer crapped out and I'm not doing it by hand...

It'll look much better once the bumper fillers are in, too.

D

·
0 Posts
Its in good hands, thats for sure but why?. :confused: You already have the Phaeton why bother with this one?. Regardless, better with you than with some punk that beats it up then junks it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
CHRISTINE! That is the name you MUST use.

Any pictures of the contents of that two year old Burger King sack?

What is this? Your 4th 77-92 D Body and your 2nd 1979?

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Its in good hands, thats for sure but why?. You already have the Phaeton why bother with this one?. Regardless, better with you than with some punk that beats it up then junks it.
Well, for one thing I got bored. I didn't have anything I could spend a weekend working on and actually make a difference, The Phaeton is pretty much done, and none of the others needed work to begin with. Plus I'd like to have a big block caddy to drive around in, that I don't worry too much about getting a scratch on. Now that the Phaeton has been painted, and I have antique plates on it, she's mostly a weekend cruiser. Plus I've always wanted a red & white one. It's just something to have fun with.

So the plan is, not to do a full restoration, but just clean it up and fix what needs it, and have a good looking driver/cruise-in prowler.

CHRISTINE! That is the name you MUST use.

Any pictures of the contents of that two year old Burger King sack?

What is this? Your 4th 77-92 D Body and your 2nd 1979?
lol, you know I'm getting a vanity plate with her numbers, it's just required. Sorry to disappoint, that burger king bag went straight to the trash! When I picked it up, something moved.... eww. I don't know what the hell happened in the trunk, but it smells like death. I'll have to rip everything out and let it air. Thank god the interior isn't too bad, just the trunk. hmm, it is from Chicago after all..

I see you're keeping track, lol. Yes, the math is right. Guess I just have a thing for 'em.

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
The only two names I can think of (without driving her to get a sense of personality are Miss Scarlett or (it's the red and white) Candy. Good luck on this one. She seems reasonably solid, but there's still a huge amount of work ahead. And WTF happend to the center of the dash?

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good question, Craig. Somebody deiced they wanted to install a custom radio. So they pried the center stack out of the dash, cut a MUCH too large hole in it, then gave up only after cutting off the factory wiring harness! *ugh* So I'm still thinking of what to do about that, the rear speakers are also gone. Haven't tried the A/C yet. I have a symphony sound radio from an early '80s Cad, and a Realistic brand cassette deck made in the '90s. The car originally had a CB radio, and the mic is still hanging under the dash.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Ooooh... I can't wait to see what you do with this one! I'd like to get another Caddy in a couple years when the one I'm working on now is totally done. I don't know what I'll end up with yet though. Good luck with your endeavors on this Caddy, it needs some work thats for sure, not quite as much as mine did, but certainly lots of work.

That rust in the vinyl top looks like it has perforated the metal. Are the pics just playing tricks on me?

·
Registered
1979 Coupe Deville, 1995 FWB & 6 Other Non-Cadillacs.
759 Posts
As usual a big Congrats...But there's no way this is gonna be a small project. Once you get one thing fixed and the cars starts looking better you're gonna slowly but surely turn it into a full resto. Believe me...I've lied to myself before too. Can't wait to see the progress. Maybe between the two of us...all 77-92 D bodies will be salvaged from the junkyards.

·
Registered
1979 Coupe Deville
414 Posts
There was a local salvage yard that had a white 79 coupe with red interior that I was getting a few parts off of earlier this year. Had some real nice interior parts that you probably could have used, door panels etc. Went back one day and they had crushed it. Pissed me off big time.

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
Good question, Craig. Somebody deiced they wanted to install a custom radio. So they pried the center stack out of the dash, cut a MUCH too large hole in it, then gave up only after cutting off the factory wiring harness! *ugh* So I'm still thinking of what to do about that, the rear speakers are also gone. Haven't tried the A/C yet. I have a symphony sound radio from an early '80s Cad, and a Realistic brand cassette deck made in the '90s. The car originally had a CB radio, and the mic is still hanging under the dash.
I do love it when the six-toed among us try to act on their brilliant ideas.:bigroll: At some point, try tracing what's left of the radio harness back, I think you'll find a snap connector, so the damaged part may be replacable rather easily. Otherwise, get hold of the wiring diagram (they do exist, I have a copy) and start wiring. This one should keep you off the streets for a while.

·
Registered
1989 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance|2018 Chevy Colorado Z71
6,421 Posts
That drooling rust by the vinyl top, I have the same problem with that on my 76 DeVille. HJow would you go about getting rid of the "drool" on the paint?

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
1 - 20 of 155 Posts