Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
CTS-V Wagon
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 CTS-V wagon, AT. Stock except for wheels/tires, slotted rotors, porterfield R4 pads, castrol SRF, stainless lines and high temp steering fluid ;) . I have ~25k miles. I have already replaced one differential under warranty and I have having the same symptoms as the first time so I am pretty sure I will be getting another differential. Please let me know if this is already on a thread, but my search has only brought up temp warning and fluid capacity, not failures.

The history is prior to my first track day (1 of 2) I read about potential low diff oil levels. I had the dealer “check” the level since it was a known problem.
I attended a track day at Laguna. The high of the day was 78. Gorgeous day. As my speed increased and the day went on, I got the rear diff temp warning and thus backed off and went into the pits. I came out for the next session but did not go as hard and did not get the warning.

A few thousand miles later I notice the whine in the rear end during low speed turns. I took it to the dealer and they replaced my differential.

I went to another track day, this time mid 90’s but no temp warning.

Now some 5000 miles later the differential is exhibiting the same whine as before.

I spoke to a group that races the CTS-V’s and they say it is a weak component of the vehicle and they just replace the diff when it starts acting up. I asked if they knew of a better high performance diff and they said no.
I notice that there is a 9” modified diff for the gen 1 cts-v’s but nothing for the gen2.

Does anyone know of a solution?
The group that was racing it even runs the diff coolers and said that doesn’t help long term as the diff will eventually go under race loads.

Thanks,
T1

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts
Diff groan at low speeds is a known problem this whole generation. Before you get another replacement, change the diff fluid, and make sure you change it with the GM diff fluid with LSD additive. I had groans early in my wagon ownership, at about 5k miles, had the diff fluid changed, and no noise since, and I'm now at 32k miles. In fact, it's about time for another diff oil change for me just for prevention.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts