Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
I'm in the market for either a 2010 or 2011 AWD Cadillac STS and am a bit confused by all the options and packages available, e.g. Luxury vs Premium?
Can someone please educate me as which one might be the most reliable?
Thank you for your time.
Respectively,
Tom

·
Registered
2016 XTS FWD Platinum
1,133 Posts
A couple of things to think about. 2010 was the last year you could get the V8 Northstar engine & for whatever reason, Rainsense Wipers were no longer available either. 2011 was the last year they made the STS but again, it was only available in the V6 option. The Luxury & Premium are different option packages. I don't have the exact info in front of me but they would include things like Navigation & other cool features. If you can find a Platinum edition, it would loaded with everything!

Max

·
Registered
'08 STS V
14 Posts
A couple of things to think about. 2010 was the last year you could get the V8 Northstar engine & for whatever reason, Rainsense Wipers were no longer available either. 2011 was the last year they made the STS but again, it was only available in the V6 option. The Luxury & Premium are different option packages. I don't have the exact info in front of me but they would include things like Navigation & other cool features. If you can find a Platinum edition, it would loaded with everything!

Max
I can attest to the omission of automatic wipers. My '10 had every option available far as I could tell (for the RWD version) and I was perplexed why that was missing (I didn't realize it until AFTER I bought it of course). I assumed because it was originally a Vegas car that maybe it was ordered and the customer chose not to have them given it was going to be in the desert but evidently it just wasn't available. I then thought perhaps it was due to all they have going on around the rear view mirror with the Lane Departure camera but my '08 STS V has that and still has Rainsense wipers. I hated not having them on my '10 because I had them before with my '05 and going back to having to constantly adjusting the damned intermittent delay drove me nuts (much like driving a car without a HUD does too). Was foolish for that option to be removed from the car for '10 & '11 but Cadillac knew the car line was dead then and didn't care I'm sure.

To berge02, if this option matters to you - it does to me - find a low mileage '08 or '09 if possible. Many more of them were made than '10 & '11 (almost 3 times as many) so you will have more to choose from and you will still have the N* as an option - the V6 w/305 HP does considerably better on fuel for what it's worth, if that's a consideration. The '08/'09s also still have Lane Departure Warning and Blind Spot Warning (this one is very helpful with the poor side visibility on the STS).

Ultimately reliability tends to slide along the scale of the level of options on the car, especially as it ages. For instance, my '05 had everything but with high miles it had a number of annoying though not truly problematic electrical gremlins (I learned how to work with or around them), but was mechanically excellent. I'd suggest determining what matters most to you and go check a few out - test them thoroughly. Also be sure to get a Carfax and to web search the VINs to ensure it hasn't been an auction car before.

Finally, I highly recommend purchasing a third-party warranty if the car you buy is one you'll be depending on daily. They're not terribly expensive and are well worth the peace of mind - it's an insurance policy to protect you financially from serious problems more than anything.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,064 Posts
Instead of giving someone else money for an "extended warranty" I would opt to self-insure by depositing money in a CD or money market. Why give away $$$ ?

The later RWD Northstars are right decent, reliable engines but you still need to perform underhood checks.

Remember that CARFaX is a voluntary reporting database. If something's missing it's not their fault. "Honey, I smashed the doo-doo out of the grille and fender on the STS. Cooter and BillyBob fixed it with some Bondo and a rattle can. Tell CARFaX, will you?"

·
Registered
'08 STS V
14 Posts
Instead of giving someone else money for an "extended warranty" I would opt to self-insure by depositing money in a CD or money market. Why give away $$$ ?

The later RWD Northstars are right decent, reliable engines but you still need to perform underhood checks.

Remember that CARFaX is a voluntary reporting database. If something's missing it's not their fault. "Honey, I smashed the doo-doo out of the grille and fender on the STS. Cooter and BillyBob fixed it with some Bondo and a rattle can. Tell CARFaX, will you?"
I don't disagree with you entirely on the self-insuring however if something major happens in month 6 where is he? Screwed. It's a subjective judgement regarding risk mitigation.

·
Registered
2006 V6 STS RWD
305 Posts
The various option availability is good info, and if any of it is a deal killer, then buy an earlier one. Otherwise, in general it's usually the best plan IMO to buy the newest year with the lowest miles, on a non-collector car that's been discontinued. As for the insurance, can go either way-depends on what's covered, at what deductible, and what the premium(s) are to buy in the first place. Then add in what you think your car is worth, because that's what you're risking. My base '06 V6 is probably worth $4k~$5K at the very most, to a motivated buyer in love with the color ;) That's all I'm risking. When I sold my bought-new '12 XJ because I didn't want to be the owner of it when the warranty expired, I bought a '02 LeSabre to get me through the Winter. Bought it for $2k and did maybe $1~$2k worth of brakes and window regulators for around $400 actual parts cost tops. Didn't even get collision coverage for it, because it wasn't worth it for protecting $2400 cash. If it had been my only car and I didn't have an extra $1000 to my name, darn right I'd have gotten collision, maybe even a repair warranty.

·
Registered
2005 STS V-8 1SF Magneride HUD/ACC, 2008 Escalade ESV 1SZ Y91 Luxury Edition
1,480 Posts
Rain sense wipers never work for sh*t. My 03 Lincoln LS had them but they did away with them before production ended. Same with my STS. For good reason.

·
Registered
2005 STS V-8 1SF Magneride HUD/ACC, 2008 Escalade ESV 1SZ Y91 Luxury Edition
1,480 Posts
If I'm parked outside and I start the car with the windshield wet and the wipers in the sensing position, it WILL NOT wipe for at least 10 seconds if I don't change the setting. That's the biggest complaint, but in general, they suck.

·
Registered
96 STS; 09 STS4 N* Platinum w/1SG & PCZ
195 Posts
I love the Rainsense wipers. It's one of the reasons I opted for the '09. The only thing that is irritating is forgetting they are on ( after it stops raining) and then trying to figure out why the headlights are on..... but that is OE.

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 08 Light Platinum SRX V8, 05 White Diamond STS4 V8 1SG
2,105 Posts
Haha, same here. But yeah I like them, too. Wish I had HUD...

As for most reliable, I might argue that the most reliable STS would be a base FE1 RWD model, but with the V8 if it is 05-07 and given some timing chain issues persist on the 2nd gen, Northstar on those, too. But with a base FE1 RWD car I think you would be missing out on....a lot of stuff. My view is, if you are going to drive an older luxury car, at least get the options that were available at the time - and largely you don't need to pay a ton extra to get that stuff (unlike when they were brand new). Which is why I hunted down my 1SG (only missing ACC/HUD).

·
Registered
2008 STS4 V8 1SG Platinum Edition
606 Posts
I don't disagree with you entirely on the self-insuring however if something major happens in month 6 where is he? Screwed. It's a subjective judgement regarding risk mitigation.
I have to say I've purchased the extended on my 05 and 08. Both with N* and both I have cashed them in after a month so I got full money back. Never have I spent as much as the warranty cost me. Just my 2 cents. With my VW in between both STS's, I tried to use the warranty on a water pump and boy what a hassle that was. Car was there for 4 days while inspectors came and diagnosed it. Again, my 2 cents and I don't have much more of a baseline than that.

I do agree the most option rich years were 08 and 09. in 10 I understand there was a licensing agreement issue with the rain sense which might be why they never put it in. Good luck and remember, even the 11 is 8yrs+ old.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts