Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
none
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 11-year-old daughter and I are changing my brake fluid this weekend. Putting in the high-performance Dot 4 as there is high-performance driving school coming up early in April. I remembered reading something about the calipers having bleeder points rather than four. I could easily have reached the outer four without taking the wheels off. Now I realize there are inner bleeder points as well which require the wheels to be removed.

And of course, I understand that my 2012 CTS V coupe does not have a jack. I am deciding whether it would make sense to purchase one of those NASCAR type jacks, whatever they are called, or simply have the brake fluid changed when I get my new tires put on next week.

Anyone have recommendations for where I can get a decent type jack without spending $62,000? I don't intend to lay under the car for any reason. I used to do that when I changed my own oil. I could reach the oil pan drain plug without jacking the car. That was before my metabolism changed.

Thanks so much,

Jim

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
I have a cheap $89, low profile "AC Delco" 1.5 ton jack I have used for 8 years. It's not really AC Delco, its just a generic named as such. I see it everywhere with a hundred different names...

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V
945 Posts

·
Registered
2013 CTS-V wagon Stealth Blue
175 Posts
I have gone through a bunch of floor jacks over the last 10 yrs. Most of the affordable ones, whether iron or aluminum, are made in china. Without fail, the seals begin to fail on them, so after some time, months to years depending, the jack begins to not work. most commonly, the car slowly settle while you are working. The most important point for real is to never go under a car unless you have jack stands. absolute must no exceptions ever

i am tired of the chinese crap. for my next purchase, i plan to buy a made in usa jack - the iron ones are at least $600, and the aluminum race ones that the nascar guys really use (not the cheap chinese knock offs) are over a thousand. So I am saving up, waiting for a good one that I can afford. Even if you only use the check a couple times a year, it really is nicer having good quality tools than the cheap stuff. just my opinion.

·
Registered
Had 2009 V, Red/Blk 2016 Now
4,186 Posts
I'm not sure what a NASCAR type is, but I got a used one at a swap meet and it's worked for years. Secondly, I'm sure Harbor Freight Tools has a bunch, very reasonable also.

·
Registered
09 CTSVEEEE
28 Posts
I'm not sure what a NASCAR type is, but I got a used one at a swap meet and it's worked for years. Secondly, I'm sure Harbor Freight Tools has a bunch, very reasonable also.
f

i wouldnt trust harbor freight for anything that requires safety! ie, car ramps, car jacks, jack stands..just not cool..everything else though, awesome!

·
Registered
07 CTS-V Platinum Mist
106 Posts
You have to watch what you buy from there for sure. If you do your homework you can find some good things there. I bought a 2 stage compressor there that is a rebadged Bel Aire for $800 and its an absolute beast.

·
Registered
1 of 1 Evo Green Coupe 6m, with RB9
568 Posts
I'm on my second set of aluminum 2 ton racing jacks from HarborFreight. The first pair ONLY lasted 10years. That's right 10yrs before one started have a seal leak. My second set I bought in '11 when I got my coupe. I use them weekly, every time I wash/detail the car, as I jack it up to remove the wheels for cleaning and detailing the wheel wells/calipers etc. I do use jack stands when doing this. I have no problems with their lightweight jacks. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts