Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Deville
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all a couple of questions what batteries have been found to perform good in devilles with all the loads? I own a 2002 base with 138k. About 5-1/2 years ago I replaced the AC Delco that was in there with an Interstate battery that now in this cold weather dies out and needs a trickle charge (needing a charge really just started this winter). I typically do not drive it much in the winter so it may sit for 2-3 weeks.

Also I wonder if I can add distilled water to the Interstate battery...basically if maintenance can be performed on it.

I priced up a AC Delco vented battery at a local Buick dealership for $149.95/w old battery which is $30 less than the caddy dealer.

Just wanted to bounce of options with you first.

Thanks

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,504 Posts
Unless the battery is fitted with removable cell vent caps it is not designed to be 'watered'.

The parasitic loads in our cars (idle for 2 - 3 weeks) will kill a marginal battery, especially in cold weather, and your battery at 5.5 years is on the list for replacement. FWIW my 2002 is on a maintainer right now - with a 3 year old battery.

Our 2002 cars like a battery that can supply at least 800 CCA. Go with the AC Delco. (IF the battery is under the back seat it's a Group 79)

·
Registered
1967 Eldorado
443 Posts
I replaced the original AcDelco battery last year. I put in a super start premium from O'reillys. Haven't had any problems with the battery.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,792 Posts
There was just a lengthy battery thread the other day, but for the life of me I can't find it. Maybe someone else will find it and post the link.

·
Registered
2002 Deville
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok Thanks! I pulled the 20amp fuse for the ELC compressor thinking that was what the power drain was since I just brought it back on line last summer but it still needed a charge after I pulled that fuse so that probable was not it. I think I saw a schematic that showed that fuse being hot all the time...

S

·
0 Posts
Usually a battery is just a battery as most come from the same companys, any battery from a well known chain auto parts store would do fine there are alot of aftermarket auto parts that u can buy for the car if u cant get the ACDELCO stuff that will work just as good only thing i stay away from is anything eletrical and internal engine like spark plugs, as u dont want the PCM going crazy

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,504 Posts
Usually a battery is just a battery as most come from the same companys, any battery from a well known chain auto parts store would do fine
You might want to read this before you hang your hat .................. and the second link is what Ranger referred to.

........... and, as always, read the fine print on the labels.

http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/batbrand.htm

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/281452-what-battery-should-i-go.html

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,286 Posts
Walmart MAX - group 79 -

----------

Usually a battery is just a battery as most come from the same companys, any battery from a well known chain auto parts store would do fine there are alot of aftermarket auto parts that u can buy for the car if u cant get the ACDELCO stuff that will work just as good only thing i stay away from is anything eletrical and internal engine like spark plugs, as u dont want the PCM going crazy
----------------------
Usually a battery is just a battery as most come from the same companys,
while it's mostly true that there are only a few battery manufacturing companies -
batteries are made to the buyer's specs - not the manufacture's specs -

if MickeyMouse Battery contacts Johnson Control -
and says I want you to make me the cheapest battery possible -
the absolute bare minimum required to function -
Johnson Control will build it - to MickeyMouse Battery specs -
and it will be a crap battery - made by Johnson Control -

S

·
0 Posts
I ment most auto store brands are pretty good im not saying put any cheap battery in lol

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,286 Posts
I ment most auto store brands are pretty good im not saying put any cheap battery in lol
-----------------------------
I ment most auto store brands are pretty good
well - that's my point -
the batteries from an auto parts store are not made BY the auto parts store -

and whoever DOES make the battery
makes it to the specs given to them by the auto parts store -

and keep THIS in mind -

lets say you purchased a battery for each of your 4 cars -
all at the same time - all from the same auto parts store - "ACME Auto Parts" -
and those batteries lasted for 6 years without a lick of trouble -

so you go back to ACME Auto Parts
and buy 4 brand new batteries - for the same 4 cars -
within the first month - one battery died - and was replaced under warranty -
4 months later - another one died -
10 months later the 3rd one died -

you ask yourself "what happened" - ACME batteries USED to be GREAT -
now they are JUNK -
different specs - different manufacturer -
the only thing that remained the same -
the ACME name on the outside of the box -

S

·
0 Posts
O of course bass u know how it is all companys are always looking to cut costs noting stays the same but i would say for now the autozone duralast gold batterys are good batterys and most of the normal autopart stores are pretty good, a battery is the most common thing outside of brake pads people change and when it comes time to do it most do not go OE they go to there nearest autoparts store and buy one, by the way im sure a mickey mouse battery would work fine :D

----------

You might want to read this before you hang your hat .................. and the second link is what Ranger referred to.

........... and, as always, read the fine print on the labels.

http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/batbrand.htm

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/281452-what-battery-should-i-go.html
The Duralast Gold are better quality then the regular Duralast i know a few people who have both and none have ever had a problem with the gold batterys the regular ones can be a gamble once again u get what u pay for, and its not to common to buy a bad battery ether ACDELCO or Autozone duralast things happen now if they all crapped out after month thats different then there just a POS :yup:

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
That's debatable. A lot of store brand batteries barely cut it. The only thing they care about is selling a low priced battery because they know people shop around. Some people are happy with a battery that's made to last 2-3 years. Others would rather pay a bit more and have one that will easily go for 5-7 years or more before they have to worry about replacing it again.
You are usually alight buying the main brands like Delco and Interstate.

S

·
0 Posts
Most autopart store batterys are the same price as the delco or others i paid $150 for the duralast gold, acdelcos the same price and for now as long as the build standards are up to par i would recommend them autozones anyway not sure about other autopart stores, but things change in time even acdelcos stuff aint what it used to be in general as ive been hearing from many mechanics and backyard ones i know :yup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts