Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac Deville
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a guy who can wax and glaze my car with a buffer and all for $125 or obviously I can do it myself. Since winter is fast approaching i want to get a "good" wax on to protect the paint. Should I try to do it myself or pay the $125 bucks and get it professionally done?

·
Registered
25 Posts
First let me say that I don't know a damn thing about different waxes or which ones are better than others. What I do know is that $125 seems like a lot of money just to have someone wax your car for you. I try to wash my car every weekend, and I try to take a couple hours on a Saturday every month and give my car a good, thorough scrubbing, clean the wheels, engine, vacuum and dust the interior, lube up the leather, and put two coats of turtle wax on. I have no idea if there is anything different that I ought to be doing, but it seems to work to me.

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
I do not know your age or physical abilties. Once I passed 50, it got much harder for me.

I pick a Saturday that it's going to be decent weather (Not many left in New Jersey !!) I wash my car late in the day (around 3PM) and put it in the garage for the remainder of the day. On Sunday AM I wax it. When I wash it, I do the hardest part 1st, and that's the wheels & tires (I have whitewalls). On Sunday AM I wax. If you ask 100 people what wax they use, you'll get 65 different answers, everyone proclaiming that theirs is the best. :D I use Souverne by Pinnacle. It's ONLY available by mail from Palm Beach Motoring Accessories, and it's not cheap at $60.00 for 8 Oz. I feel it's the best, and I can back that up by saying the winning car at the Concours 'd elegance at Pebble beach also wore this wax. http://www.autogeek.net/pinsouvwax.html ... It's all Ralph Lauren uses on his cars ... Ditto, Jay Leno !
It's very easy to use, and really makes the finish like a mirror. It lasts about 90 days.
Carl "hvone" will be here shortly to tell of his love of Zaino, alnong with many others in that camp. ....and then there's Zymol, retailing for between $65.00 and $800.00 (no typo). I think the most important thing is...TO DO IT, no matter what stuff ya use, even if it's the supermarket's No Frills brand, it's better than NOT waxing ! :nono: Regardless, do it yourself!! It's not the $$$ it's the fact that You have ONLY 1 to do, and they that do it to earn $$$ have many, and will not give it the attention that you will !!!
To him, it's "Just another car" ~ ~ to YOU, it's your baby !

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
If you want to get through the winter then use a synthetic product like Zaino or Klasse, if durablity is not an issue (how long it lasts) then a carnauba wax will work just fine for your needs. Our shops applied Meguiar's products for 15 plus years, in bad weather carnauba will last a month or two max, slightly longer if bad weather is not a problem where you live. Pinnacle is a good product, but for about half the price you may want to try P21S, it beat Pinnacle slightly in The Wax Test www.gurureports.org Jay Leno uses several different products (he does not do his own cars) , ask me how I know. ;) I like doing my own cars, if you keep them clean and waxed the job is pretty easy, if you have not done your car in a while it may take some time to get it back in shape.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
That's too cheap, Rob. I INSIST upon spending more !! :p

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
It does not matter if you use $6.00 per can Kit car wax, if you keep a good waxed surface your car or truck will look good for a long time, of course you may get tired of applying it every month. ;)

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac Deville
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bbrock81 said:
First let me say that I don't know a damn thing about different waxes or which ones are better than others. What I do know is that $125 seems like a lot of money just to have someone wax your car for you. I try to wash my car every weekend, and I try to take a couple hours on a Saturday every month and give my car a good, thorough scrubbing, clean the wheels, engine, vacuum and dust the interior, lube up the leather, and put two coats of turtle wax on. I have no idea if there is anything different that I ought to be doing, but it seems to work to me.
I think i do all the above but i am no professional and was just curious as to if a professional was that much better

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I love doing my cars! :D No, Really, I do! I HATE this time of the year. It's just NOT fair! Guys that live to play tennis, can go to indoor tennis courts. Guys that love to bowl can continue to do so. Guys that like to swim can go the the "Y" ~ Joggers can jog, if dressed for the season, but us poor guys that just love to go out on a nice Sunday and wash 'n wax 'n detail, perhaps puffing a good cigar, or sipping a spring water, or a cola, or a beer or whatever, maybe with a radio or CD playing and enjoy the weather & their car are plain out of luck, until late April. Just not fair. I have to take my daily driver, the Town Car, to some overworked, underpaid, mad at the world guy and pay him $23.00 to hand wash my car. He misses 15% of the areas, does NOT do the wheelwells, does a "get-it-next-time" job on the rims, and gets inside wearing his water soaked, muddy fishing boots to do the windows, making the carpet stained, but the windows clean :hmm: . I wish SOMBODY would open a place where we car-guys could seek shelter from the elements, have heat, enclosure, lighting and - say 90 minutes to play with our toys !!

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
I am sure you could do the same quality job as most pros, depending on your equipment and what you are using product wise, our shops used to shampoo carpets and headliners, Q-Tip the air ducts, take off wheels and do the wheel wells, insides of the wheels (it depends on how complete a job the customer wanted) , same is true at home, on all my cars I take the wheels off at least once a year, usually twice a year to clean them completely and wax inside and out.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
What are your "Shops" Where are they located? They have a name? I could be a customer, depending on how far...... Interest perked....

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
I sold them in 1994 and the group that purchased them went bankrupt a year and a half later, it pretty funny because I purchased 25 out of the 36 locations from a bank that foreclosed on the original owner for pennies on the dollar, we add 11 other locations in the first 3 years I owned it. I wanted to get out of the detail business because in the mid 80's I purchased my families Tool and Die Company from my father and that took most of my time, my general manager of the detail business got brain cancer and passed away in 93' and it was just too much with the how large we grew the Tool and Die Company from when we took over from my Dad, working 80 hours a week (I kid you not) for 10 years took a toll, although retiring before the age of 40 now looking back was worth it, but I gave up a lot to get there, and losing my good friend made me stop and think that you have to live too.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I think that being retired by age 40 is worth whatever one has to do - to achieve that (legally, of course)! I assume that you sold the T & D company? Now I see where you get your vast mechanical prowess from. The town I grew up in had a rather small industral park on its out skirts, and every company there was a T & D (as well called them). You probably knew of some of them. The town is Maplewood, NJ

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
I sold our Tool and Die Company to Crown Cork & Seal, they were our largest customer and wnet on a buying sprey, I was very lucky. :)

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
In my lifetime I have seen many a parent pass on and leave the "family business" to the offspring. In 90+ percent of these situations, the offspring don't know jack, and spend spend spend and run the business down to zip, file bankruptcy and all is lost. Good to see you took a different road. You must have worked in it before getting into detailing, so that when time came, you knew what to do and the change-over went smoothly.
We went to see the new '05 Grand Cherokee last night. It's very nice! Very plush and a vast improvement over the 2004. But..... I was way more attracted to the yellow Crossfire Convertible, they had on the floor with aftermarket 18" rims, deep dish chromed & super wide tires. THAT was super good looking car. I love the "old fashioned" chome windshield moulding that the w'shield is set into.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
I drove a hemi Grand Cherokee last week, very nice, but I will keep my order for my 05' Escalade :) . I had a customer come out for Zaino in a Crossfire convertible, it's a nice looking car. I was really scared when I took the offer from CCS to show my Dad, we had been in business 65 years at the time, he looked it over, passed it back and said sell and sell quickly, at that time they kept me on for 5 years paying me WAY more than I paid myself, of course them knowing nothing about the business, and not listening to me any longer their yearly sales are 1/4 of what they were when I sold it to them :) , believe me I am not a rocket scientist, but I did spend 21 years there so I knew something about the business

·
Registered
526 Posts
Sandy said:
I love doing my cars! :D No, Really, I do! I HATE this time of the year. It's just NOT fair! Guys that live to play tennis, can go to indoor tennis courts. Guys that love to bowl can continue to do so. Guys that like to swim can go the the "Y" ~ Joggers can jog, if dressed for the season, but us poor guys that just love to go out on a nice Sunday and wash 'n wax 'n detail, perhaps puffing a good cigar, or sipping a spring water, or a cola, or a beer or whatever, maybe with a radio or CD playing and enjoy the weather & their car are plain out of luck, until late April. Just not fair. I have to take my daily driver, the Town Car, to some overworked, underpaid, mad at the world guy and pay him $23.00 to hand wash my car. He misses 15% of the areas, does NOT do the wheelwells, does a "get-it-next-time" job on the rims, and gets inside wearing his water soaked, muddy fishing boots to do the windows, making the carpet stained, but the windows clean :hmm: . I wish SOMBODY would open a place where we car-guys could seek shelter from the elements, have heat, enclosure, lighting and - say 90 minutes to play with our toys !!
Amen To all you have said :histeric:I had my truck washed yesterday all the swirls are back. I decided regardless as to how hard it will be. I will now do my own truck. And to add insult to injury I ran over a little drop off and put a small scratch on one of my rims :banghead: :crying2: Thanks for allowing me to vent :)
Peace :helpless:

·
Registered
261 Posts
WAX!?!?! What the hell do you want to do that for? All it does is ruin the paint. Hang on you waxers; let me stop the flames before they start: I'll put my 01 @ 62k up against any car out there, whether it have more or less miles, or be newer older, freshly painted or older paint. We may hold a tied postion, but I garantee that the quality of your finish will not exceede mine.

It's amazing! Everytime I'm out somewhere, everyone askes me "What type of wax do you use?" I don't use wax, and I have never used wax. Other than a little bug and tar remover, on the rare occasion that I get someting in the paint that won't wash off, I use a little dab of Kit Scratch Out for clear coat paint.

If you have laquer, or the substandared imron paint, maybe you need to wax it to keep its luster. Two stage urethane, however, doesn't need wax, and you do more damage to the paint, than providing protection. (Let's not even get into the labor. I wax my boat because it's gelcoat, and it chalks.)

When you wax the car, miscropic and quite abrasive particals are already on the car, no matter how clean you get it. Also, you get the same type of abrasives as fallout, setteling in the wet and dry wax. When you buff it off, you have to exert exessive pressure on the finish; as a result, you scratch the paint. If you have to use any other than a feater light touch to wash the dirt off, you have let the car get too dirty, and wiht this type of care, it won't be long before the paint is shot.

Detailer's tip to keep the car looking "as if it's waxed." (I never let anyone wash my car, and I don't go to automatic car washes. I always wash the car at home with a high pressure nozzel. If it's an emergency situation, I use a coin operated high pressure car wash, and I don't let a foam brush and everyone else's VD near my car. Also, I don't dry it, and have to deal with the couple of water spots until I can wash it correctly.)

Of courese the high pressure blast to get whatever off the best you can. Always use a wash mit, and always wash with just the weight of the wash mit. Always wash in one direction, lenghtwise, from the wipers to the grill and grill to wipers. NEVER use a ciruclar motion or vary the direction. Example, on he hood, wash from one fender to the other. When you wash in one direction, it aligns the miscropic scratches, so that it creates the illusion of a scratch free surface. You want to wash lenglwise--full lengh along the side, hood, roof, deck lid, even keep the same direction on the mirrors because, they the eye naturally travels the length of the car, rather than back and forth. This lenthtwise alignment of scratches coordinate with the natural movment of the eye, and it helps give the illusion of sleek.

Also high pressure the mit after each panel. Ex: High pressure the mit, after the roof, the hood, the decklid, and each quarter. Depending on how dirty it is, I use an old mit to, last, do the dirt catching areas of the lower back of the fender and quarter.

Do you clean the inside of your wheels? Any tech can tell you that it's a sign of the ultimate anal in car cleaning when you clean the inside of your wheels.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts