Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think ive found the reaminder of my oil leak , the rear valve cover gasket is leaking , im finding oil on the intake manifold by it and oil all around it , the front one is OK but not great and i might do it while im there heres my query

On the GM 6.2 diesel they recomended to only use RTV and no gasket is it the same deal for the 4.9 or is this a gasket that needs to be coated in black RTV and put in ?

i also desire torque specs for the valve cover bolts

once again , thanks for any light that can be shed on the mystery :worship:

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I think its a regular gasket, no RTV.... dont quote me, im not really sure.......

And I dont know about the torque ratings......

Are you sure its your valve cover??? It probably smokes really bad sometimes when you get done driving, or smells really bad...... My valve covers are bad, but its just a slight little smell just after shut down, and really noticeable after its run really hard......

Unfortunately, the engine is gonna have to come out for this one..... :( I wouldnt even attempt it with the engine in the car.......

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yah that engine is pretty tight in there on the Q

the deville really doesnt stink to much or smoke , but im finding oil all around it and where its ran down the side of the engine and the side of the intake manifold, even when ran really hard it doesnt seem to smoke or stink , just politely marks its territory

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
If its leaking that much oil OVER the exhaust manifolds, I cant see how it DOESNT smoke like crazy......!!

Im sure it has to be something else...... I guess unless somehow the top of the gasket is the ONLY part that has failed (weird, since it most likely will fail on the BOTTOM, since thats where the oil tends to pool after shutdown).....

And FYI, I was referring to your car..... My car I dont think Id have a problem doing the covers...... Yours it would literally be impossible (i think) to get to that back cover..... Ive heard its a real hard time getting to those rear plugs!!!!!

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yah the plugs are awful to get at , but i have enough room back there to get the cover off , it doesnt seem to leak onto the exaust manifolds . but back there it runs down the side of the engine and down on the drivers side of the block , 80% leaks out of the covers and onto the intake manifold (just got done putting 3/4 turn in each bolt) hopefully that cures it , ive looked over the rear cover , looks like a 3 hour job , maybe next weekend

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
2 Participants
Stoneage_Caddy