Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2015 ATS 2.0t AWD
138 Posts
True story. The Cadillac ATS has 4 light weight aluminum bolts holding the steering rack to the car. They do not have enough tensile strength and they can break... like mine did. So Cadillac is replacing them with stronger steel bolts (recall). But because mine broke off, they cannot replace the bolts. They are required to replace the entire rack, but there is no inventory. So I have a loaner until they can find a new steering rack. All I can say is “daaaaaaang!” The kids wanna keep it. The wife says “Yes... this one. I’ll take this one.” #xt5 #cadillacxt5 #cadillac #caddy

07.jpg
06.jpg
05.jpg
04.jpg
01.jpg

moderator edit: your two near identical posts have been merged into one. -byrdman

·
Registered
2016 ATS 2.0T Coupe Velocity Red
61 Posts
That is some frightening stuff. As soon as I got the recall I took it right in...seeing this I am so glad I did! thanks for the info. If you don't mind my asking what is so exciting about the XT5? I had one as loaner as well. It felt big, handling was blah, acceleration was okayish, plus I could not disable the annoying stop engine feature.

·
Registered
2011SRX,2015ATS RWD base 2.0
519 Posts
It appears none of the new cars with stop/start and any of the safety sensing features allow permanent turn off of these features, I am on a Honda forum also and there are a lot of complaints regarding the safety features especially the Collision Mitigation [auto braking] and the inability to leave off completely.

·
Registered
2014 ATS Performance 3.6L RWD
19 Posts
Thanks for sharing sstressfl.

Did you notice and signs that there was a problem before they broke? I'm asking because I periodically have this metal crunching/clanking sound when I turn the wheel before I'm about to back up or before I'm about to drive away after shifting from R to D.

Also, does one need to wait for a recall notice or can I call and schedule an appointment to have this done without a letter?

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6 Premium AWD
240 Posts
I did not take this recall lightly, as soon as everyone in the forum started talking about receiving notices I got schedule for mine to be replaced... sufficed to say the bolts they removed didn't look like they had much strength left in them.

·
Registered
2003 CTS 5MT(previous); 2015 ATS 2.0t AWD AT(current)
26 Posts
Thanks for posting - I just had same recall done on mine. Service center gave me a XT4 for a loaner. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would

·
Registered
2003 CTS 5MT(previous); 2015 ATS 2.0t AWD AT(current)
26 Posts
I went in for 45,000 mile service and dealership was the one who informed me of recall. They wanted to do it right away, so instead of being without my car for a couple of hours, it was pretty much all day. They did say recall fix much quicker on RWD cars

·
Registered
2015 ATS 2.0t AWD
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Steering Rack Recall Fixed my Shuddering Transmission

Sorry I've been away for a little while. It's been busy lately. But I wanted to follow up on the results of the steering rack recall/repair and share some new discoveries. I did my best to tell the story. Hopefully it helps others.

"I bought my car from a Ford dealer. So this was my very first experience with a Cadillac dealer. They had my car for more than a week. But in the end, it was worth it. The steering rack recall turned into a solution for a shuddering 6 speed auto transmission. Amazing."

·
Registered
2015 ATS 2.0t AWD
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for sharing sstressfl.

Did you notice and signs that there was a problem before they broke? I'm asking because I periodically have this metal crunching/clanking sound when I turn the wheel before I'm about to back up or before I'm about to drive away after shifting from R to D.

Also, does one need to wait for a recall notice or can I call and schedule an appointment to have this done without a letter?
I heard about the recall and called a dealer. They will look up your VIN and let you know! In hindsight, the tell was a mild occasional clunk when i went over bumps, drivers side only. I thought it might be a slowly failing suspension joint. Now I am convinced it was the broken bolt/steering rack. Its for real! Hope you follow up soon (if not already)!

·
Registered
2015 ATS 2.0t AWD
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is some frightening stuff. As soon as I got the recall I took it right in...seeing this I am so glad I did! thanks for the info. If you don't mind my asking what is so exciting about the XT5? I had one as loaner as well. It felt big, handling was blah, acceleration was okayish, plus I could not disable the annoying stop engine feature.
I really liked the interior, comfort, quiet, giant glass roof... it was loaded with "nice". But by day 2, the trans started getting really weird. Dealer said he was sure it was a minor adjustment per a service bulletin. My wife and I really liked it, until the trans left her stuck on a hill. if I wasn't an hour from the dealer I would have brought it back, but instead I nursed it along only when it rained. The rest of the time I used my motorcycle ;)

·
Registered
2011SRX,2015ATS RWD base 2.0
519 Posts
I went in for 45,000 mile service and dealership was the one who informed me of recall. They wanted to do it right away, so instead of being without my car for a couple of hours, it was pretty much all day. They did say recall fix much quicker on RWD cars
My RWD was done in 2 hrs, my dealer was pretty quick to get parts after I showed copy of Recall bulletin I actually got from local GMC dealer. AWD is typically a day at dealer.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6L Luxury
327 Posts
Re: Steering Rack Recall Fixed my Shuddering Transmission

I can't believe someone with an engineering degree would think it was a good idea to use aluminum mounting bolts on such a critical component. Incredible. Agree your bolt doesn't look like it failed due to corrosion, getting hammered by potholes probably flexed it till bolt failed.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T RWD, DP, Intake, HPT, CC
2,404 Posts
Is the recall for all years? I don't recall getting a notice. Or I ignored it thinking it was the sunroof recall, which I haven't done and don't want.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,872 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
So the dealer had my car all day yesterday and today. They said they had previously changed the pins and that isn't the problem. They're saying it's the steering gear assembly. ?. Covered under warranty thankfully.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts