Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2015 i Escalade luxury Wht Diamond tricoat w/ Kona Brown
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a recall notice on this: PROPSHAFT U-JOINT RETAINER BOLTS LOSS OF INDEX I have a 2015 Luxury escalade. Is this related any way to the transmission issues that are starting to pop up on my car?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
monday is my appointment for the recall and trany issues.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So we just got this in the mail today. We just had ours in the shop because it got stuck in 4wd and couldn't shift out. Is this related or should we go and set up an appointment anyway? I would hate to waste all that time if it's already been fixed though.

·
Registered
2015i Escalade Premium
408 Posts
Just talked to my service dept....they will look at my truck on Monday....said the issue is that on some builds "incorrect bolts" were used. They look at the U joint and replace the bolts if needed....so far at my dealership they have not seen an escalade with incorrect bolts. they are all so going to do the transmission control software update.....it is NOT a recall but rather a TSB and my vehicle's vin is included. It is supposed to deal with the "hesitation, jumpiness" of the trans in lower gears at slower speeds and light acceleration...said the whole process should take about an hour and a half assuming they don't have to replace the bolts on the recall issue. Will let you know the results of all after the process......

·
Registered
2013 Platinum ESV 2015 MB GL550 2008 Hummer H2
1,071 Posts
I would really like to know whats the official recall on the U-Joint drive shaft. Is there are bulletin out for it?

·
Registered
2015i Escalade Premium
408 Posts
I would really like to know whats the official recall on the U-Joint drive shaft. Is there are bulletin out for it?
If you go to Cadillac's web site and navigate to the owner support part, there is a "recall search" portion that allows you to put in you VIN and the recall info will come up if your vehicle is included.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i dropped off my car this morning and was informed that a second recall is going out as of today for the transmission
software update. This is to address the low speed issues with 2 and 3rd gear jumpyness (sp) when accelerating after coasting for a bit and the being rearended feeling when stopping.
I got my recall notices from my onstar monthly updates to my email.

·
Registered
15i Granite/Kona (bought back)/ '16 Granite/Kona
314 Posts
i dropped off my car this morning and was informed that a second recall is going out as of today for the transmission
software update. This is to address the low speed issues with 2 and 3rd gear jumpyness (sp) when accelerating after coasting for a bit and the being rearended feeling when stopping.
I got my recall notices from my onstar monthly updates to my email.
That is good news. I definitely notice the slow speed slop in the shifting. My wife has an 8 speed in her BMW, that gearbox is light years ahead of this one in regards to smoothness.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
tyresmoker said:
That is good news. I definitely notice the slow speed slop in the shifting. My wife has an 8 speed in her BMW, that gearbox is light years ahead of this one in regards to smoothness.
FYI the BMW 8 speed is made by GM. What a surprise!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Uh…..no it is not. It is made by ZF in Germany.
Chrysler licenses ZF design components from ZF.
It is my understanding that the GM gearbox is based on an in-house design.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
tyresmoker said:
Uh…..no it is not. It is made by ZF in Germany. Chrysler licenses ZF design components from ZF. It is my understanding that the GM gearbox is based on an in-house design.
I know a GM insider and he's a GM test engineer/developer from GM hamtrack office and he says GM makes BMW 8 speed tranny which I didn't believe but he confirmed it.

Here's a link.

http://www.europeantransmissions.com/bmws_8speed_transmission.htm

·
Registered
314 Posts
I quickly read through the dated article and see a confirmation that, at the time (2009), "both GM and ZF were supplying transmissions to BMW". This is a general statement, not pertaining to the 8-speed ZF, which at that time, was new to the market. Trust me, there is no way GM would have a fully developed 8-speed unit in 2009 to supply its competitors and we end up with that science project that needs two reflashes in six weeks of ownership….

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
tyresmoker said:
I quickly read through the dated article and see a confirmation that, at the time (2009), "both GM and ZF were supplying transmissions to BMW". This is a general statement, not pertaining to the 8-speed ZF, which at that time, was new to the market. Trust me, there is no way GM would have a fully developed 8-speed unit in 2009 to supply its competitors and we end up with that science project that needs two reflashes in six weeks of ownership….
That's a quick search while I was seeing patients. I'm sure there's more than that. GM is even developing a 10 speed the might be in near future escalades.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Our Escalade was already in the shop for other issues when the recall notice came out and the deealer took care of it. I don't think this is transmission related. You will have to have your transmission replaced and this recall done at the same time. There were other service bulletins out that the dealer is addressing as well. Car has been in the shop since June 1.

·
Registered
2015i Escalade Premium
408 Posts
Ok.....here's the results: 1. today they replaced 4 bolts and 2 "retainers" on the U-joint. 2. they performed the software update which is referred to on the service order as "torque converter update"

I immediately noticed that the low speed shifts were smoother, and seemed to have lost that "where I am I supposed to be" feeling that the tranny had in those lower gears. ....they said it should now "feel and sound better" ..... it does!! They told me that the drive shaft will not be quieter as well.....because the "loss of indexing issue" meant the components were not lined up right in preparation for the application of power, thus producing "some" of the clunk feel and noise that we were experiencing. Is it now absolutely perfectly smooth and quiet?? NO...... Is it a lot better ? YES! A private talk with the tech guy.....he said the complexity of the 8 speed combined with the mechanical attributes of the shiftable transfer case will result in some "shift variations and "sounds"(such as the whine) that you would not notice on a permanent AWD system. All in all....I'd say it was worth the trip and it is very noticeably better!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Recall notice propshaft u-joint retainer bolts loss of index UPDATE

UPDATE...
I had the u joint retainer bolts recall taken care of yesterday. NO MORE BANGING SOUNDS.. NO MORE FEELING OF BEING REAR ENDED>> SMOOTH SHIFTING >>> the software update for the transmission seems to have taken care of the problem with low speed coasting then the acceleration causing a hard shift. now its very smooth.
Lets home this is a permanant fix.

·
Registered
2013 Platinum ESV 2015 MB GL550 2008 Hummer H2
1,071 Posts
I just talked to my dad, he got the recall letter for his 2015i. I will keep you guys posted.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts