Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
'07 CTS 3.6
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a letter yesterday from GM Canada. It says they know there is a problem,with extended oil change intervals, causing premature wear.
They are going to recalibrate the ECM,and OLM to recommend more frequent oil changes.
It's not the optimum repair or replacement, but at least they acknowledge a problem. Will be taking it in next week for this.Weather permitting.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
I doubt that'll fix it or even help fix it. If I had a 3.6, I'd change my oil every 3k if they say its a premature wear thing. I rarely use that DIC engine oil % as a measurement of the engine oil life / when I need to change.

·
Registered
'07 CTS 3.6
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I drive mostly HWY, so I'm doing it every 5K km., which is about the same as 3K mi.

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
Does it specift timing chain wear? Or just engine wear?

·
Registered
'07 CTS 3.6
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mike,here's a direct quote:

......"However we have determined that under certain driving conditions, and with extended oil change intervals, the timing chain could wear prematurely and cause the illumination of the Service Engine Soon light.".......

·
Registered
2006 3.6-Volant CAI, V-exhaust, LED swap, Clear DRL, 6000k
1,698 Posts
its only for 2007 first gen CTS', even though 04-06 have the same damn engine and components.
there was a thread on this a couple week ago with the full, and very boring, tech sheet.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,883 Posts
It's a possibility that the recall only effects the 07 and beyond. Not because of the engine, but because they, GM, programmed the ECM with too long of an interval.

Noticed how the 03 and some 04s has 100% fluid life on the radio. Where mine actually has 57% life with just over 85,500 miles. Despite it's most likely the same radio and or ECM.

KOT

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
It's a possibility that the recall only effects the 07 and beyond. Not because of the engine, but because they, GM, programmed the ECM with too long of an interval.

Noticed how the 03 and some 04s has 100% fluid life on the radio. Where mine actually has 57% life with just over 85,500 miles. Despite it's most likely the same radio and or ECM.

KOT
are you talking about transmission fluid or oil life monitor?

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
I am just using both as an example. Basically the software/program is what GM is fixing. Not the actual engine or timing chain.

KOT

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
maybe im just and idiot.. but im not sure what you mean. an 03 or 04 will say 100% when the OLM has been reset, whether or not an oil change has been performed. yours at 57% is there because it has likely been about 4k(ish) miles since it was last reset (again, doesnt matter if an oil change was done or not). the OLM doesnt test the old or new oil, it bases it's displayed % life on how the car has been driven since it was last reset. I could go and reset my OLM right now without doing an oil change and it would act the same way as if i went out reset it and did a full oil-filter change.
same goes for if you switch to dino-oil, it's been calibrated for synthetic so the OLM goes out the window when you pour dino juice in the car.

im likely just completely mis-reading/mis-interpreting your post.. it's been a long day and even longer week lol

but yea, from what was said in the technical mumbo-jumbo of the previous thread, they are lowering the 'standards' of each OLM %.. and i say standards because the OLM isnt based solely on miles, as i said it takes into account the outside temp., how hard the oil is worked, how long it is run at a certain temp., etc.
my OLM drops faster in the winter (likely because of all the cold starts) than in the summer, i drive the car the same way and put the same amount of miles on, but the oil is put through different strains.

here is the other thread for anyone interested http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...ature-timing-chain-wear-reprogram-engine.html

KOT based on what you said in the other thread, i am fully mis-interpreting what you said here lol

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
whatever..ive got a 3.2 lol
when they recall the tranny lines and rad ill be happy...i want my $1200 back

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Like you said, you are not understanding me. Lol

Since the 03 and 04 says 100% life on the transmission fluid. And the 05 and later actually moves. Then it's a pure issue with how the radio moves, or doesn't move, the % value. Despite the fact it's the same exact transmission.

With that being said, the 07 was the only year envaulved in this this recall. Despite it has the same engine as the 04 to 07. Is because the "problem" is with the OLM being out of wack. I have an 06, let's say my wife has an 07. We drive both cars the same distance every day, 25 miles round trip per day. In the same weather conditions and whatever else being the exact same. I'll use the OLM as my source to tell me when to change my oil. So let's say in 8,000 miles my car, 06, says I have 5% left on my oil life. But my wife's 07, cus she has to have the 07, says 20% life left. So in theory she can go another 5,000 miles while I can go only another 1,000 or so.

This is how I gather the recall, they are not fixing the problem of the hardware, timing chain, but the computer program. So after the ECM is flashed and all, I should see both my 06 and the wife's 07 needing an oil change at the same time. 8,000 miles driven and 5% oil life left.

KOT

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
Let me lay it down in laymans terms... GM is dodging fixing your timing chains because they know its too expensive, so they are reprogramming it so you can get more oil changes, so by the time the chain goes, it'll be out of warranty and be on your hands.

That help?

·
Registered
2006 CTS
88 Posts
Let me lay it down in laymans terms... GM is dodging fixing your timing chains because they know its too expensive, so they are reprogramming it so you can get more oil changes, so by the time the chain goes, it'll be out of warranty and be on your hands.

That help?

Well said

·
Registered
2013 Acura ILX / 2011 Camaro LS
1,007 Posts
Yeah, I don't look at the oil change monitor either. I do mine every 5-6k miles which is about 80% highway and it still says like 55% oil life. My tranny fluid has 50k on it and the life monitor shows 72%:bigroll: I'm suprised there havent been alot more problems, I mean I'm sure 50% of the public with CTS's go by the life monitor thinking it is right and do like 10-13k mile oil changes

·
Registered
'07 CTS 3.6
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have seen a couple of people on here refer to the OLM as pertaining to oil level,when it is well known it refers oil life. If these people only check/add oil when it says 0%,no wonder they have issues.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
You guys need to start getting UOA's. You have all these theorys about what is causing the timing chain problems, and lately everyone is blaming it on oil change issues.

Well, I run my CTS until the OLM gets to 10%. After a couple UOA's from 2 different companies (thanks Spkye for the 2nd source), the results tell me that there was about 10% life left in the oil. I burn a little oil in the summer, but I run the car hard. Ive burned less then a qt over the past 2 oil changes. Ive had the engine looked at by an independent after these latest timing chains scares, and the results were great. I realize this is no less anecdotal then anyone else. It is what it is....

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
With that being said, the 07 was the only year envaulved in this this recall. Despite it has the same engine as the 04 to 07. Is because the "problem" is with the OLM being out of wack. I have an 06, let's say my wife has an 07. We drive both cars the same distance every day, 25 miles round trip per day. In the same weather conditions and whatever else being the exact same. I'll use the OLM as my source to tell me when to change my oil. So let's say in 8,000 miles my car, 06, says I have 5% left on my oil life. But my wife's 07, cus she has to have the 07, says 20% life left. So in theory she can go another 5,000 miles while I can go only another 1,000 or so.

This is how I gather the recall, they are not fixing the problem of the hardware, timing chain, but the computer program. So after the ECM is flashed and all, I should see both my 06 and the wife's 07 needing an oil change at the same time. 8,000 miles driven and 5% oil life left.

KOT
By that explanation, the only 3.6L's that should be seeing timing chain problems are 07's or newer. We know this isnt the case. Blaming it on improper extended oil change intervals doesnt explain all the older 3.6Ls from different brands (Buick, Chevy, Cadillac) that are suffering from the same timing chain issues. It also doesnt explain the numerous BRAND NEW 3.6L's with 2 and 3000 miles with proper oil levels that have been seeing timing chain failure.

To the people who have had timing chain failures. If you dont report it the the NHTSA, they may never know to do an investigation into this problem... Its obvious GM is aware of this, but theyre simply going to forget about it...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts