Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere on the internet that there was a recall alerted on the 1999 STS and the alert was regarding the alternator. It said that there were 29,000 cars affected and it could cause electrical fires from the engine into the cabin of the car.....Something about a power surge in the alternators of those affected cars.

Anyone have any experience or information about this?

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I have never done this one, but here is some data on it.
The Campaign number followed by the affected VINs.
What are the last 8 digits of your VIN and I can check to see if it applies to your car, and if it's still open.
Seems to me your car should have burned down by now if this hadn't been done.

Safety Campaign - Generator Rectifier Bridge Short #99013 - (Jun 10, 1999)

Cadillac
Seville
Hamtramck
--
WU934377
WU934516

Cadillac
Seville
Hamtramck
--
XU900001
XU934524

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
It was for a rectifier bridge and can cause the car to catch fire even with the ignition off. There should be a campaign sticker on the radiator shroud. That said, my daughters did not have one and I checked at the dealer (gave them the vin) and they pulled up the info on the car and said that it had been completed.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/results.cfm

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
The campaign has been done on that car.
It was indeed affected but the work was completed on 12/16/99 at Audette Cadillac in West Bloomfield, MI. There were 7,023 miles on the odometer at that time.

Those stickers have always been somewhat of a problem. Most guys write on them with ball point pens, that fades after about 2 years. Some guys put them on removable panels and the panels are lost or replaced.
Nowadays they are not required because we rely on computer checks to see if the campaigns are open rather than trying to read 6 year old faded stickers.

Lots of folks didn't like the stickers under their hoods anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts