Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2008SRX
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Check Engine light came on so I dialed up ONstar to check diagnostics. The operator was very polite but would only tell me to get to a dealership immediately, if the car was disabled have it towed in. She even booked and appointment at my dealer. Iwas able to drive the car in and the service rep would only tell me that they would check it out.

45 minutes later they called me at home and said there is a service bulletin out on this model with the 3.6 for broke or cracked timing chain gear. I guess I was very lucky to get the car in as a broke timing chain can be very dangerous to drive and deadly for a good percentage of modern engines if driven.

The dealership was very nice about it and said they will need the car for two days as the engine must be torn down and rebuilt with new parts. They had a Rental Car delivered to my house in the next 30 minutes and all charges are under the warranty.

I have been treated quite well by GM/Cadillac and this was very "heads up" of them. I guess in light of what some manufacturers (see Toyota) have been trying to sneak under the radar GM has everything to gain by treating their customers with respect and honesty.:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wow, that's great of GM to step-up and take charge. I too had a recent good experience at a Cadillac dealership in Santa Clara, CA. They needed my car for a warranty repair (minor rear diff leak) and got me a rental for the night. 2010 Camaro (which was very impressive @ 25k RENTAL miles!).

I think GM might be getting the message.

·
Registered
2008SRX
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is how you win the market back. IN this case I could not be happier with the service. I can't wait to get my SRX back, really enjoy driving it and it has never been disappointing in performance.:bouncy:

·
Registered
'08 SRX V6
542 Posts
Ah, the never-ending timing chain story.
I wonder if it's a particular gear that cracks, or just any of the six, randomly.

Wizard, where was that link to TSB's that I saw awhile back?
Guess I'd better do a search, mine has set code P0021 4 times, which is over-advancement of the intake cam; I assumed it was excess thrust play in the camshaft, but maybe the sproket/gear is cracked and I'd better get it looked at before it goes out and takes the entire engine with it.

DG

·
Registered
2009 SRX-4 Sport / TriCoatWhite
1,185 Posts
DG... I have the GM Database on my Garage Notebook.

I looked up Bulletins for 2008 SRX:

Here are the hits:

Bulletins, Campaigns or Preliminary Information:

#08-06-01-011B: Malfunction Indicator Lamp On - Check Engine Light, DTCs P0011, P0014, P0021, P0024, P0341, P0346, P0366 or P0391 Set (Check Camshaft End Play and Perform Action as Outlined) - (Sep 17, 2008)

#PIP4384B: Supplement To SI Timing Procedure For 3.6L LY7 Engine - keywords actuator cam camshaft cylinder DTC end head install light LLT LY7 mil misfire play position procedure sensor SES set timing - (Jun 20, 2008)

#PIP4297: Rattle Noise From Front of Engine - keywords 07 08 3.6 chain engine front gasket noise rattle tensioner timing - (Dec 14, 2007)

#07330: Service Update for Inventory and Customer Vehicles-Timing Chain Bolt Low Torque-Expires with Base Warranty - (Dec 13, 2007)

Basically... with the 08's there were problems with Tensioners... stretching chains... sensors... and Misc parts breaking. (Also a "Rattle" can be caused by a bad Tensioner Gasket.) and on the V8's they had some loose bolts on the upper timing chain guides.

·
Registered
2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe
2,005 Posts
Thank you Prof for taking the time to put it all in one post. So many will benefit from the heads up and the actual Cadillac info. before they have a catastrophic breakdown........or an ulcer worrying about this stuff.

PJ

·
Registered
2009 SRX-4 Sport / TriCoatWhite
1,185 Posts
Thanks PJ...

I do want to clarify... that is not ALL the bulletins... just the ones with the words "Timing Chain".

There are way to damn many bulletins in total to bother posting them in here! :)

Also :: you get different results with different years. Each year has its own set of particular issues - but all years have issues regarding the Timing Chain - especially the V6ers.

·
Registered
'08 SRX V6
542 Posts
Thanks Wiz.
Yeah, I guess I'll take it in; been saving up a little list of problems for them.
The cruise control went flakey last week, so I have about 5 things now, enough for a couple days in a new loaner SRX.

DG

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
Cad2theBone, how many miles on your SRX? I liked the 3.6 engines I had in my 04 CTS and 06 SRX and never had any timing chain problems, though they did need regular oil level checks. At least the normal engine maintence is less than the $1500+ timing belt changes every 90K on my Lexus LS430.

·
Registered
2004 SRX AWD
3 Posts
professor was wondering if I could pick you brain for a moment, I have a 2004 srx 3.6 awd replaced the timing chains and went to put the cover back on and cracked the cover. the bolts on the lower cam gear are hitting the cover, do know of this happening to other people.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts