Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
351 Posts
Just for giggles, I'm having a 17k Northstar put in my STS as I've had "a problem or two" with the original motor.

Does anyone think that in 17k miles other than putting sand in the oil, could anyone have started this engine on the road to failure by not doing anyting at all?

I'm hoping that with as few miles it has on it that there realy couldn't be any abnormal wear issues starting already. (The car has 190-195 in all cylinders and the leak down was good).

Thanks,

Adam

· Registered
351 Posts
Update. I went with a rebuild myself. I did end up in addition to head gasket problems on both banks, having a cracked head and major oil leak straight onto the exhaust.

I searched extensively and went with a $3500 rebuild from US Engine in Kent, WA. 7 year 70,00 mile warranty. The thing has POWER. It is hard to keep the wheels straight under full throttle! While it was out I had a new starter, alternator, power steering pump put in. Also had front suspension parts replaced, tightened up, and boy, she drives straight (except for torque steer).

I hope as more N*s are on the road we'll see cheaper options. I'm happy with my decision now, the car mechanically is very, very solid and tight. It actually scares me from a roll how quickly it gathers steam, even on a steep, long hill by my house, (Highway 18 for those who live near Federal Way). I feel if I wanted to, I could start at the bottom and literally while climbing the hill quickly reach top speed in 3rd whatever that is... OD might slow the acceleration but it is a thrill to take just about anything on a hill like this - it seperates the men from the boys! The Northstar feels like it is on flat ground going up this hill - literally effortlessly climbing it.

What a car this 1994 STS is. It is expensive to fix if something gives, but it is a marvel to me. I can only imagine a RWD STS-V.

Cheers, fellas!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.